Samsung forum

General discussion

Samsung 2009 Blu-ray Player Firmware Update Available Now

by blu-ray chic / September 3, 2009 3:06 AM PDT

Firmware has been posted today for 09 models. (other models to follow, please be patient).
I'm in the process of updating my players and will share the results when I'm through. However, please feel free to use this thread to report any issues with your upgrades, findings, thoughts, etc...
When you post your info, please be sure to let us know how you upgraded (USB, CD, Network) and any pertinent details.

IMPORTANT: Please note the launch of our new website. The download center is currently not showing f/w details such as what's been corrected or worse, what file type is which.
If you have a network connection, this is the easiest way to update. Simply turn the power on and wait a moment before you receive a notification for the new firmware.
If you choose to use CD or USB updates, the first one listed is the USB update. The second which ends in ISO is the disc update. These updates need to be installed only once, not twice like the first update. However, if you've never updated your player, you may need to install the update twice. Again, please share your findings with us all. Thanks for your participation!

What should these upgrades address?

A/V sync issues
Title compatibility
NTP should be defaulted to on after reset or power failure
Error msg "your Netflix Keys have been hacked"
And finally - to provide Blockbuster and YouTube support.. (crossing fingers that I haven't spoken too soon)

As soon as I get the final details I'll let ya'll know.

Best of luck to you all! Wink

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsung 2009 Blu-ray Player Firmware Update Available Now
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsung 2009 Blu-ray Player Firmware Update Available Now
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Watchmen Directors Cut
by blu-ray chic / September 3, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

Is working....

Collapse -
Samsung BDP1600 : today's firmware update has done the trick
by Ch33kyM0nk3y / September 3, 2009 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Watchmen Directors Cut

Yeah, just applied today's firmware patch to my Samsung BDP1600 here in the UK

The update has fixed the Maximum Movie Mode issue on the Watchmen BluRay disc

You also get a Youtube "widget" that lets you view Youtube content

Collapse -
Blockbuster in the UK?
by blu-ray chic / September 3, 2009 3:58 AM PDT

So far so good. Happy Is Blockbuster available in the UK or is it US only?

Can anyone tell me if movie images are appearing on the covers? It's going to take me a little bit to set up the bb account so i'm not sure if that's the reason or if something else. I hope that's the reason. Happy

Collapse -
Firmware update "bricked" my player
by mbouver / September 3, 2009 8:27 AM PDT

Upon turning on my BD-P1590C this morning, I was prompted by the player that a new update was available and asked if I wished to perform an update. I said "OK" and now wished I hadn't.. or at least had known not to try a network update...

I have a cat6 cable directly to my router and consistently get 1.5MB/sec download speed. The update downloaded at a rather slow 100KB/sec, so I imagine the samsung servers were quite busy serving up the updates!

Anyway, the download eventually completed, and the firmware update started. I figured it should take only 30 min once the download completed, but after 2+ hours it was still not done.

Unfortunately, I decided to turn off my TV (also a Samsung, LN32a550) at this point to avoid screen burn in, however it appeared that shutting down the TV sent the Blu-Ray player a shutdown message through the HDMI Anynet+ connection and the Blu-Ray player shut itself down as well.

When I turned the blu-ray back on, it is stuck at "LOAD".
I eventually got through to Samsung support and they said there was nothing to do but ship it for repairs.

Is there any way to have the player boot from a CD image or USB drive to attempt the firmware upgrade again locally? It's hard to believe there is no other option but to send the unit back for factory service.

Any help appreciated.. thanks!

Collapse -
She's a brick - owww
by blu-ray chic / September 3, 2009 10:26 PM PDT

Bummer. I'm really sorry about that. Unfortunately, the tech was correct. At this point, the only option would be service. I tested a "bricked" player for hours trying to get it out of the "load" state but to no avail. If it's saying Load, chances are the loader has been corrupted and would require replacement. Do you happen to recall the version that was previously on the player? Was it the factory version or did you install the first update released in June?
you can try to reset the player and see if it will accept a disc or usb update but I'm not suggesting that with confidence. Sad
to reset the player: with the power on and the disc tray open press and hold the ff button until the player displays reset. If it doesn't display reset, chances are disc or usb update won't work, but you can try it. I'm going to report this to engineering asap and am curious that about the anynet connection having caused this. I'm going to setup the 3600 w/ anynet ON and run the network update to see if I experience the same. I'll keep you posted. In the mean time, let me know how you make out. and I'll help you set up the service request to ensure it goes quickly and smoothly.
I'm really sorry for your "loss" and appreciate the very detailed explanation. Thank

Collapse -
Still stuck at LOAD, will not reset
by mbouver / September 3, 2009 11:47 PM PDT
In reply to: She's a brick - owww

I did successfully upgrade to the June firmware earlier. In fact, I've only had this player for less than two weeks, and that was the first thing that happened on turning it on for the first time.. it found my network, got itself a DHCP address, prompted me to upgrade the firmware, and all went swimmingly.. really a good first impression of the product.. I was really enjoying the netflix and pandora for the past few days, and now this...

I have tried resetting by various methods without success:

First, removing all 'active' connections (HDMI, Ethernet) and hooking up to the display only with component cables to ensure no interference, then

1) holding my finger on FF button for 30 seconds with door closed and no disc in player

2) holding FF button for 30 seconds with door open

3) turning player off, unplugging power cord, holding power button for 30 seconds, pluging back in and turning on

As a computer professional, I understand that upgrades sometimes go awry, but I really find it unacceptable that there is no way to recover without sending it out for factory service (having to pay for shipping both ways!) and then waiting weeks... even if I were to send it in for service and it gets fixed this time, what assurance would I have that this wouldn't happen again on the next firmware upgrade ?

There surely needs to be a better way to make the firmware upgrade process more fail-safe so that either you can revert to the old known working firmware, or a restore from local media is possible.

Is there any way to re-install the loader without returning it for factory service ? Burn a bootable CD image, plug in a USB keyboard and hit some magic key combination perhaps?

Collapse -
Bricked BD-4600 (UK) also stuck on Load
by jimdann / September 5, 2009 6:38 AM PDT

I have had the identical experience to mbouver right down to also being an IT professional.

Collapse -
Samsung BD-P1600 "bricked"
by BRFran / September 11, 2009 6:11 PM PDT

I bought this BlueRay player 2 days ago, went to Samsung website and found the upgrade file(BEv2.02_090827_BDP1600_XEF). I followed the procedure of the joint file (Upgrade_Guide_USB.pdf)with a USB key.I get the message "New firmware Update, Now, Processing... Please do not turn off the power. The power will be off automatically after update is finished " at the last stage (4)of the procedure. Then nothing happened... I waited more than 2 hours and there was still the same message on my tv (Samsung full HD modele LE32B530 with Anynet+ and connexion HDMI 1.3). I use the TV remote controle to switch on a tv program and when i went back on the Blue Ray player, the resolution was no more 1080p but 720 and the screen was crazy. I had to unplug the player after a few hours and when I tried to switch on it stayed on load... I tried everything like mbouver, even i engraved the CD version, download the 1.3 version on megaupload...
Nothing worked. I will have now to send it back and I'm very desapointed. I have actually 4 Samsung TV (1 plasma 50 inches, 2 LCD 32 and 1 LCD 19 + 1 DVD player Samsung) and never had problems with them. I have already upgraded differents players firmwares without any problem in the past.
Sorry for my english. I'm a french guy actually living in the UK... lol

Collapse -
How to reset?
by coldcountry / September 7, 2009 8:41 PM PDT

Come on! There must be a way to reset the player without having to send it to service? Someone somewhere must have a trick, a software you install on a PC that you connect to the player via usb. I'd rather open the player myself and push a magic button than ship it to service and wait weeks/months to get it back. ANYONE? PLEASE, HELP US!

Collapse -
Gotta be a way
by 31delph / September 7, 2009 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: How to reset?

I can't believe the bricking is a hardware problem that can only be fixed at a repair center. Come on Samsungt - you can do better.

Collapse -
BD-P1600 September Upgrade
by saabgeorge / September 4, 2009 1:57 AM PDT

I did the upgrade last night via a wireless connection and Netflix, YouTube and Pandora all work just fine - been currently playing Pandora for about an hour and no problem - maybe 25-30 songs.

The new wrinkle I do have is that now is that I must power up my Sony STR-DG820 first and then power up the BD-P1600 or the receiver doesn't see the player - I'm connected by HDMI. Before the upgrade it didn't seem to make any difference what order I powered things up. Not a big deal.

The download by wireless was slow - I'm connected via an N router. There must have been a lot of traffic on the Samsung server with the new firmware.

Edit update: The power up issue I mentioned above seems to be a bigger deal than I originally thought. I discovered that if I switch the reciver to another input and then back to the BD-P1600 input it no longer sees the player. I think the only way to correct is to power down the BD-P1600.

Another update - while sitting here writing the update above the BD-P1600 synced up with the receiver again on its own - probably took 5-10 minutes.

Collapse -
YouTube also locked up with new firmware
by Baby_Doc / September 4, 2009 2:22 AM PDT

I already reported the lockup issue with Pandora in a previous post. I forgot to mention then that I have a wireless ethernet connection.
I have never had problems before with this player.

Not only has this lockup occurred with Pandora, it also has occurred with YouTube. It took about 20 minutes for this to happen and I don't recall what I was doing when it actually locked up.
After repetitively having the lockup issue with Pandora, when it happened with YouTube, too, I just gave up. I only tried YouTube once.

I was able to load and begin a NetFlix movie, but only watched it for 5 minutes. I will be checking it out running it for a longer duration to see if there is a lockup problem with that too, as some people have begun to report on the AVS forum.

Collapse -
Wow! bricked in 15 minutes
by jpabian / September 5, 2009 9:33 AM PDT

We just bought a BD-P1590 today. It upgraded once I plugged it in and then I guess it shut down on it's own since it was idle, now it is bricked. We enjoyed the player for less than 15 minutes. I already tried the reset posted and it did not work. Guess it goes back to Costco tomorrow, and I'm honestly not sure I want to risk another Samsung.

We are using component cables and TOSlink cable. When you power it on, it stays at LOAD, but you can open and close the drawer. Buttons make beeps but that's it. I also unplugged it for 30 minutes and still the same behavior. Do I risk another Samsung or go with the Panny they had for the same price?

Collapse -
Does the UK YouTube widget actually work?
by rwillett1962 / September 4, 2009 12:51 AM PDT

My DVD player BD-P3600 automatically found the firmware update detailed here and downloaded it across the internet. Took some time but it worked OK, the DVD player rebooted and a nice YouTube widget appears when I turn the DVD player on.

When I access the Widget on the DVD player I enter a whole new section allowing me to look through recommended, popular video sections. However I get nothing in them and simply get an error message to "Try Again" later when I access them.

I registered with YouTube and added my YouTube details into the Widget but that makes no difference.

I also noticed that the firmware knocked out my DHCP config, thats not a big deal so I reenabled that and the fact I use a wired (or cable) connection rather than wireless. I checked that the network connection test passes as well and it did.

The lack of release notes is slightly worrying, I only downloaded out of curiousity (I know, I know), but I would have expected a *little* more information on the YouTube widget.

So has anybody managed to get a connection to YouTube from the UK? Any suggestions as to what is needed? Do I need to be registered with YouTube? Seems to make no difference but you never know.

Collapse -
Solution to YouTube in UK not working
by rwillett1962 / September 4, 2009 6:06 AM PDT

I found the problem with the UK YouTube not working. It turns out that the DVD player cannot handle transparent proxying through a Smoothwall firewall. It also appears it cannot handle proxying at all, but thats another problem Happy

Once the web proxy was turned off, it worked.

Collapse -
by RedZeppelin / September 4, 2009 1:13 AM PDT

I updated successfully via ethernet connection.

Now Pandora seems to be hosed. After 5 or 6 songs (20 minutes or so) the audio stops and and player completely locks. It won't respond to commands from the remote or the front panel, so all you can do is power it off and restart.

This happened to me three times in a row last night after updating to the new firmware.

Collapse -
Pandora Lock Up...
by camping_man / September 4, 2009 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Pandora

I have the same lock up issue. Just hooked up my brand new 1590 last night - immediately did the firmware upgrade via cabled connection. All went fine except that Pandora freezes up in less than 2 minutes. Only way out is to power down. This happened 4 or 5 times in a row, always between 1 and 2 minutes into the music. I finally gave up. You Tube seemed to work fine - but I only watched a few minutes of it. Netflix was accessible, but I haven't tried watching a movie yet. I hope there's a fix for the Pandora problem... that's a great feature if it works.

Collapse -
Let's Raise The Issue On DIGG!
by lancehomer / September 6, 2009 9:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Pandora Lock Up...

I bought my DVD player on 9/5 at Costco and had the firmware upgraded upon start. Pandora freezes up on me after just a few songs. All else seems to be fine. **** Please digg this thread on so we can get Samsungs attention ***

Collapse -
by CrotalusHH / September 7, 2009 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Pandora Lock Up...

The BD-P1500 is still showing a July date.

I'm hoping the next update will make my player more stable.

Collapse -
Pandora locks up player after firmware upgrade
by Baby_Doc / September 4, 2009 1:13 AM PDT

I upgraded my Samsung 1600 with the new firmware using USB. The upgrade went smoothly.

However, when I accessed Pandora, after playing about 4 or 5 songs, the entire player locked up. If as you play songs, you skip to the next song, you can see this lockup quite quickly after 4 or 5 skips. Otherwise, it occurs after about 15 minutes of playtime. I could not exit Pandora. I could only power down and back up my player. This problem has been reported by a couple of other people on the AVS forums.

Collapse -
Pandora locks up for me too
by ptnaidu / September 4, 2009 7:28 AM PDT

Pandora locked up for me too. The two reasons I bought this player are Netflix and Pandora, so I really request Samsung to quickly fix this issue.

Upgraded via wired network with no problems.

Collapse -
Pandora Lockup = Frustrated
by dieselbolts / September 5, 2009 1:01 AM PDT

I had a samsung 2500 player and upgraded to a 3600 specifically for Pandora. It has been discussed on this forum in great detail why the 2500 never will get a pandora firmware update so I took the plunge and got the 3600. I used it for 2 days and was extremely happy until yesterday I do the firmware update and I get a pandora/player lockup after 10 min of use! Seriously? I'm not sure how something this prevalent could have got released into the wild.

Samsung made a business decision not to go with Pandora on the 2500 and now the ONLY reason I upgraded is broken. I really hope Samsung understands that they can't wait for another large firmware version to fix this problem and instead releases a patch for this issue soon!

Collapse -
Pandora - Please Fix!!!!
by waxings / September 5, 2009 2:38 AM PDT

After the new Firmware update yesterday Pandora is now Locking up. Sad I have not tested any other service but Pandora and Netflix was the reason I bought this player. Please fix this issues so I can continue to get my Grove on!

Collapse -
same problem
by edyonline / September 5, 2009 4:23 AM PDT

bought the blu-ray player a few days ago. did the firmware update via ethernet cable. now, when i play pandora, it completely freezes up after a couple minutes. i, too, need to restart the system... only for it to happen all over again.
i called the tech support line and they wanted me to play a dvd to see if it would freeze up while playing a dvd to determine a hardware problem vs network problem. no problem playing a dvd. just started playing pandora again... all is fine for now, but then again it's only been a couple of minutes.
i hope the fix isn't to play a dvd before playing pandora (as opposed to starting pandora right away) bc that would be very annoying.

Collapse -
by edyonline / September 5, 2009 4:25 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

nevermind, it just locked up again... 2min5sec... looks like i'll be making another call to tech support

Collapse -
Pandora locks up after firmware upgrade on bd-p3600
by cmatyjasik / September 5, 2009 8:12 AM PDT

I have the same issue, pretty much. I've had this bd-p3600 for many months without issue. Had one firmware update before. The fact that it wipes out all the settings, including the network connection, sucks but is fixable by resetting it all up. There was no other nuisance to that update. Now, day before yesterday, I did the new firmware update when prompted by the player. I, again, set the settings all back and successfully connected to my network. Cranked on Pandora and after 3 songs...lockup...a few minutes later it prompts me that my network is unstable. I think...hmmm...okay...did the network test. It failed on the gateway ping step. Rebooted. Network test all good. Back into Pandora...3 songs...boom...again. Network test fails on gateway ping again. Tried everything...router settings (screwed up and had to relink my whole Media Center Extender while doing this), firewall settings, re-setup the network connection on the player several times....nothing works to correct it. You can even go into Pandora, fast-forward through 3 songs and boom...lockup right away. This really sucks and has wasted gobs of my time. I called tech support. They have been getting calls about it but don't have a resolution of any workaround...nothing. Just said they know it's a widespread problem and they are working to resolve it. That's it. No promise to call back when they resolve....nothing. I loved the Pandora feature and the wireless capability. It's what got me to buy this player, specifically. Now it's hosed. If only I could go back to the prior firmware. Anybody know how to "roll it back"?

Collapse -
Pandora locks up after firmware upgrade on BD-p3600
by rpriveramd / September 5, 2009 8:26 AM PDT

I'm another frustrated Pandora lover with exactly the same issue, but have had to resort to connecting my iPhone (you can also do it with a wifi enabled iTouch) to my iPod dock and play Pandora off that instead of my Samsung P3600. Totally sucks as a workaround, and the fine folks at Samsung really need to step up to the plate and get this mess fixed. Very poor form to release a firmware upgrade that takes everybody backward instead of forward, and somebody at Samsung needs to feel awfully uncertain about their next paycheck from corporate until this unacceptable "upgrade" is corrected to the previous level of seamless integration. There should be some empty parking spaces in that lot if this isn't corrected quickly.

Collapse -
Roll it back!!! Here's how...
by cmatyjasik / September 5, 2009 8:41 AM PDT

Just called back to support and told them that the prior versions of the firmware didn't have this issue and asked if there was a way to roll it back to a prior version of the firmware. They are sending me a CD to roll it back to the original version of the firmware. Call their customer support...and ask them to send you a disk with the original firware. I am think that having Pandora working again will be well worth it. I can live without Youtube and BB services since I have lived without them up to now and been happy. Never had a problem with playing any blu-ray or dvd disks with prior versions so maybe this will find me happy til they fix the problem with the new firmware. I'll post an update when I get the disk and let you know how it goes downgrading the firmware.

Collapse -
Issues with network connection
by jdw1981 / September 4, 2009 1:17 AM PDT

I had the most up to date firmware installed, and my network (wireless) connection was stable, but now after the updated firmware, it cuts out after less than 20 minutes. I would not have upgraded if I had known I was going to get an inferior experience to the one I am currently experiencing. All streaming services now cut out at around 20 minutes of use, and they never did before.

Collapse -
Wireless Problems after Upgrade
by HankPanky / September 4, 2009 8:02 AM PDT

I upgraded last night via wireless without a problem. However, what used to be a trouble-free wireless connection now drops out after 15 or 20 minutes. I get an error message such as "The Network is Unstable" or some such and there is NO WAY to reconnect to the network without either shutting down the player or rediscovering the network. Note that it finds and connects to the network just fine, as it always has, but now the wireless functionality is essentially worthless because it will not hold the connection for more than a few minutes. Wish I hadn't have upgraded.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.