Samsung forum

Samsun LN40A650 and Vertical Lines

by hunterabq / October 28, 2012 7:13 AM PDT

Read several comments about the same problem on Samsung. Mine just turned 4 years old, and have spend $1500 for the set, thought they could fix something. Cost more to replace it. Find comments like"...I fixed mine for $10 but no specifics must mean he turned it in for salvage. If everybody is having the same problem, maybe another class action against Samsung is appropriate. Might as well spend the money for a attorney than constant no answer's from Samsung.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Samsun LN40A650 and Vertical Lines
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Samsun LN40A650 and Vertical Lines
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you go legal, it's not a support issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 7:40 AM PDT

If you go that route, you have thrown down the gauntlet and support folk run away. I can't guess why folk do that but here goes. Type in that model number in google and then the words jumper cut.

This issue is usually covered by Samsung but 9 out of 10 folk I encounter don't ask Samsung about it. They post on boards or go legal first. Sorry if that upsets you but I hope you can at least try the support methods before you call in the sharks.

Collapse -
Support versus legal
by hunterabq / October 28, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

so we should pay Samsung to keep fixing it and then when the cost doubles the original price they say it can't be fixed?

Maybe we should all just stop buying Samsung until they start fixing stuff. Spent nearly an hour on a chat line with them today, and they had me try what I already tried - reset; turn off and then back on; and blame the cable/antenna/connectors, except all were by by passed except their connection which always had lines. They when they had me try to complete a service request, chat person kept interrupting the process and their software kept kicking the service request back to wrong info. By design, maybe?

Collapse -
Sorry I didn't relay the message well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 28, 2012 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Support versus legal

The issue I know has been repaired by Samsung for free so many times I've lost count. I had hoped to arm you with enough information to find out a common issue so you would avoid the legal angle. I see I may have upset you and for that it's my fault for not explaining it well.

Try the research I noted and then try to get Samsung to look into that jumper cut. Let's hope it's that simple issue.

If you go down the legal path, be sure you make good on it as they will take your word and support folk will run away.

Collapse -
Jumper Cut?
by hunterabq / October 29, 2012 12:41 AM PDT

Don't recall seeing anything about a jumper cut. And cutting much inside these newer electronics, which are mostly circuit boards and chips, seems like it could be very dicey. My newer amateur radios all have diodes, transitors and circuits, but printed on boards and chips than a normal micorscope cannot discern the individual pieces, just like the inside electronics in the flat screens!

Collapse -
Yup. Jumper Cut.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 29, 2012 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Jumper Cut? and too many other posts about it so the only reasons I replied was to help you find out there was something that escaped their factories. Also to warn you about what happens when you talk legal with support.

Sorry but that's all I can offer here. I'm not a Samsung rep or service person.
Collapse -
Vertical Bars
by hunterabq / October 29, 2012 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Yup. Jumper Cut.

Not exacly the same, but makes the cicuits more rational. Thanks.

Collapse -
Still no Fix to Samsung 40" LCD
by hunterabq / November 16, 2012 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: Yup. Jumper Cut.

Had a technican try to repair it. Vertical lines show up in about 10 minutes. Samsung said either T-Control Board, so he ordered one and replaced it (guess they are specific to each series of sets), and now change. So now want even more to replace screen. Goes to junk pile, and will advice via all media stay away from Samsung until the can improved product quality. Have also returned Samsung Phone and give away another Samsung 32 in TV.

Model: LN40A650A1FXZA
Serial: AL0R3CLQ402166

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.