Speakeasy forum

General discussion

SAMMSOFT

by TheresaHumphrys / July 20, 2010 8:12 AM PDT

I was surprised to see that cnet had actually endorsed sammsoft!
My father, who is 72 and trying to independently manage his own life, fell for their scam to 'try a free download to help your computer run faster and check for any viruses'. Not only did this download find viruses and other errors that do not exist, but they charged his account over $100!
All of their links lead me back to square one with no way out of the maze so far, though I'm still looking. One of their posts boasts a 100% money back satisfaction guarantee which I have not been able to find any other reference to so that I can help him get his money back.
If I am in error and you did not endorse this company, I apologize, however, if you did endorse this company, please tell me how to get his money back and uninstall their software.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: SAMMSOFT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: SAMMSOFT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's still Theresa
by TheresaHumphrys / July 20, 2010 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: SAMMSOFT

I forgot to mention that, during the 'cleaning process' of my father's computer, they acquired access to all of his files, passwords and accounts. He will now have to change banks and many other things in a vain attempt to avoid their phishing. Check out this complaint that was already filed, http://grahamkmem.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/fraud-alert-internet-scams/
I Google searched it and was appalled at the number of complaints, I know it's not your fault, but this could be devastating to my father.

Collapse -
sorry to hear that
by James Denison / July 20, 2010 9:11 AM PDT
In reply to: It's still Theresa

You might contact Lee in the Feedback forum about CNET endorsement.

Collapse -
where is CNET endorsing this site?
by grimgraphix / July 20, 2010 10:03 AM PDT

It would be helpful if you posted a link to where CNET is endorsing the business that you are complaining about.

Collapse -
Reviewed here
by Steven Haninger / July 20, 2010 10:27 AM PDT
http://download.cnet.com/windows/sammsoft/3260-20_4-6292121.html

I don't know if this constitutes an endorsement but complaints date back many years so there must be version changes along the way. I've not seen too many of these "free" programs that don't have nags offering their premium product and some can take advantage of the unsuspecting who say "yes" to every prompt, miss boxes that are already checked and ask for information that's not mandatory.
Collapse -
It looks like an endorsement to me, too!
by jimcolli / July 2, 2012 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Reviewed here

There are no two ways about it. Sammsoft phishes and
CNET gives them several stars implying an endorsement.
CNET -- up to now, anyway -- was a company
I took seriously.

It is as if my local police told me that Al Capone is nice to
his mother and gives money to aid poor Italian immigrants.
So, please don't bad-mouth Mr. Capone.

Collapse -
Where CNET is endorsing the service
by TheresaHumphrys / July 20, 2010 12:55 PM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the link
by grimgraphix / July 20, 2010 2:12 PM PDT

Yes, I can see where this stuff could cause someone to agree to purchase services they don't actually need.

Collapse -
Clarification
by TheresaHumphrys / July 20, 2010 4:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the link

It's not so much that my father 'purchased services he didn't need', it was his understanding from the advertisement that it was a FREE download.
He is unhappy with the speed of his computer but it's nothing we can fix until cable internet gets way out of town where he lives, he was trying to do it himself, he now feels ashamed, incompetent and stupid.
These people are parasites, all of them, not just SAMMSOFT, I have seen the ads on TV and on internet sites and there is temptation to see if improvement can be made.
My father, like so many others who did not grow up with 'cyber' anything, has no idea what kind of devistation these phishers can cause and how easily they can obtain enough information to do it.

Collapse -
Is it true
by scruffy16 / March 8, 2011 11:03 PM PST

did cnet endorse sammsoft? I need to know? By the way I'm trying to get my money back too. I also need to know how to unload it.

Collapse -
It seems
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 9, 2011 1:13 AM PST
In reply to: Is it true

that no further referral was made to the Forum Admin about this in the Forum Feedback forum. At least, I can't see any further references to this.

So, I have alerted the Forum Admin about this now, for onward forwarding to the Download.com team for further investigation.

Thanks for letting us know.

You mention difficulties unloading. Please tell us which Sammsoft software you have installed, and tell us more about your computer system, eg which OS, make and model of the computer, and what you have tried so far to uninstall the software, and any error messages you are getting.

Perhaps we can help you get rid of this.

Mark

Collapse -
CNET Download.com has their products listed on the site here
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 9, 2011 2:59 AM PST
In reply to: Is it true
Collapse -
Advice to Download.com
by jimcolli / July 2, 2012 5:00 AM PDT

Only have the Downoad.com team look into it if you would like to rescue your somewhat damaged reputation.

Sammsoft and its ARO 2012 are a major scam. Their product does not fix malware It *is* malware.
Once installed, it cannot be removed until at least two Trojans they introduced are removed. Further, charges are made to your credit card, and they do not provide a satisfactory mechanism for reversing this charge.

I won't be buying anything endorsed by CNET without further investigation. Your editor gave Sammsoft a 5-star rating, and now you're playing games about whether you "endorsed" the product. I think CNET has made itself part of the problem.

Collapse -
I have alerted
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Advice to Download.com
Collapse -
I can verify previous complaint about Sammsoft.
by jimcolli / July 2, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

I'm a software programmer, and probably pretty savvy.

I purchased what I thought was a trial edition of Sammsoft's ADO 2012 for $1 and supplied my debit card number. What apparently happened was that their product, billed as a malware remover is in fact malware itself. Then a month later, they charged my debit account $19.99 which was now called a monthly service charge. I was not able to remove their product from my machine. Finally found with the help of a local expert in malware removal two Trojan horse executables that Sammsoft had introduced to my computer. I have also convinced my bank that charges made by this company are bogus.

Although Sammsoft claims on-line to have a means for disputing charges, it is in fact by e-mail only with a company located in India. When you dial their toll-free number, you cannot speak with a live human being concerning the charges.

Sammsoft and ARO 2012 are complete scams.

I have referred the matter to the California attorney general's office.

Collapse -
This sounds a lot like
by Diana Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 4:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
the real question
by James Denison / July 2, 2012 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: This sounds a lot like

is if it's true?

Collapse -
(NT) Not with the effort on a 2-year-old thread
by Diana Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: the real question
Collapse -
Of the three Sammsoft utilities
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 2, 2012 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: the real question

offered here, http://download.cnet.com/windows/sammsoft/3260-20_4-6292121.html?tag=posts;msg3342341 two of them get bad reviews, the 3rd has no reviews.

So, although I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole myself, the person who wrote about it above should, if they want to pursue it, report this directly from the Download.com Review page where it says "Report a problem". The Download.com team will then review the product and investigate it.

The Download.com team do not visit Speakeasy as far as I am aware.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.