Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Same sex marriage ceremonies begin in Maryland

by JP Bill / December 31, 2012 7:56 PM PST
Same-sex marriage ceremonies begin in Maryland

"As advocates for the truths we are compelled to uphold, we speak with equal intensity and urgency in opposition to your promoting a goal that so deeply conflicts with your faith, not to mention the best interests of our society," wrote O'Brien, who served as archbishop of the nation's first diocese from October 2007 to August 2011.

The governor was not persuaded. He held a news conference in July 2011 to announce that he would make same-sex marriage a priority in the 2012 legislative session. He wrote back to the archbishop that "when shortcomings in our laws bring about a result that is unjust, I have a public obligation to try to change that injustice."
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Same sex marriage ceremonies begin in Maryland
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Same sex marriage ceremonies begin in Maryland
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll probably be chastised
by itsdigger / December 31, 2012 8:11 PM PST

for saying this but, UUUUGH! That just disgusts me! Far be it from me to make a suggestion to the Good Lord but, maybe those "Visitors" he sent to Sodom and Gomorrah should visit those states passing that law.So come on with the A$$ chewing, it's is my opinion....Digger

Collapse -
(NT) How are they hurting you?
by Diana Forum moderator / January 1, 2013 6:27 AM PST
Collapse -
How is that a challenge?
by James Denison / January 1, 2013 9:52 AM PST

If all crimes happen elsewhere, does that mean since they aren't doing harm to me personally I should challenge those who want to stop the crimes? That's a selfish attitude. Maybe you should ask that question to all people in the 80's and since then who contracted HIV from blood transfusions. Maybe you should ask that to all the haemophiliacs who got HIV from clotting factor. Oh yeah, you can't ask most of them, because most of them are already dead. You could try asking those who put off operations till test could be developed to insure cleaner blood supply, but some of those died already from waiting too long, or had emergency surgery and contracted HIV. Ask the women whose husbands were bisexuals or used prostitutes and brought HIV home to them. What was your question again?

Collapse -
James, as I see it, you are gonna have to move
by grimgraphix / January 1, 2013 11:06 AM PST

I'm not being facetious. As long as you live in Maryland, your tax dollars are supporting a regime that advocates for what you believe is a sin. Since your religion demands that you respect it, before any other authority... to continue to pay taxes is to facilitate sin. The only way you can not pay taxes is to move.

Collapse -
I Corinthians chapter 5
by James Denison / January 1, 2013 11:35 AM PST

It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.

2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

9 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators:

10 Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world.

11 But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

12 For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within?

13 But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

The righteous remain as a light to the world, there is no need to desert the scene because some disgusting fornicators frolic around with govt support. We are stronger than the government because the one who backs us is stronger. The judgment from God against them, whether in the church or outside the church is the same. The work to overcome such forces of corruption will continue.

Collapse -
nice angle you're working there.
by grimgraphix / January 1, 2013 2:06 PM PST

You preach, you call yourself righteous, but you still pay taxes in what you consider to be Gomorrah.

Collapse -
As I recall
by James Denison / January 1, 2013 6:41 PM PST

Lot was told when it was time to leave. I'll be on the lookout.

Collapse -
You don't think this was your sign?
by Josh K / January 2, 2013 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: As I recall

Are you waiting for a formal written notice addressed to you personally?

Collapse -
Since The Pale Horse
by James Denison / January 2, 2013 2:48 AM PST

is riding through their ranks already, who can be sure what and when will follow behind? God is "long suffering" but his patience with them will come to an end.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Numbers 14:18
"The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation."

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
2 Peter 3:9
"The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

<< Romans 1 >>
King James 2000 Bible

26....God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is shameful, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was fitting.

28And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not proper;...

32Who knowing the judgment of God, that they who commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

Collapse -
All that aside....
by Josh K / January 2, 2013 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: Since The Pale Horse

......I don't see why you need to be told to leave if what's going on in your state is so offensive to you.

Collapse -
Is that the only crime
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: All that aside....

...which occurs in this state? If I don't leave because of other crimes, why would I leave because of one particular crime?

Collapse -
I keep saying
by Diana Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 5:58 AM PST
In reply to: Since The Pale Horse

What part of separation of church and state don't you understand?

Collapse -
Here's what I understand...from the 1st amendment
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 6:55 AM PST
In reply to: I keep saying

Government will not establish or favor individual religions. Government will not interfere with a citizen's right to religious preference or practice of it. This does not mean that citizen's cannot use their moral convictions...based on religious practice or not...to aid them in selecting representatives to government. Government officials will understandably use their moral and ethical convictions when arguing for or against legislation. Those convictions may or may not be rooted in religious beliefs but might be included in them.

Collapse -
But these representatives
by Diana Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 7:24 AM PST

should not be using their religious beliefs to govern because then they would be establishing or favoring a particular religious belief.

Collapse -
And therein lies the problem
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 7:56 AM PST

you expect people to abide by their morals, religious or not. If they don't, they invite criticism of being unprinciple, fickle, freckless, or (today's bomb) a flip flopper.

The problem is making decisions acknowledging your belief in what is right without deciding everyone should believe exactly as you do.

Plenty of people get keeping the faith (with their beliefs) confused with the state of mind that anyone that disagrees isn't only mistaken but are evil, corrupt, lesser individuals.

Collapse -
Morals make laws
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 10:44 AM PST

They come first. Law being born from morals therefore is secondary.

Collapse -
Diana, I believe religious tenets and personal
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2013 6:30 PM PST

morals have parallels with one independent of the other in how they are derived. Theft, murder, and more are answered in both religious law and civil law. Those who don't practice religion or even snub it does not mean they believe it's OK to rob and kill. I've said here time and again that one does not adopt a religion and suddenly change their beliefs. More likely they already hold those beliefs and this makes or helps them gravitate toward other people of like mind. If those people are a religious community, so be it.

Collapse -
And I keep saying
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 10:42 AM PST

what of God rules His earth do YOU not understand?

Collapse -
(NT) advocating theocracies again?
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: And I keep saying
Collapse -
whether you accept it or not
by James Denison / January 4, 2013 12:03 PM PST

everyone on this earth is ultimately under a Theocracy.

Collapse -
ah, but why should I believe you're right
by Roger NC / January 4, 2013 12:46 PM PST

and others are wrong in the interpretation of what it is?

Collapse -
There is NO GOD(s)
by givemeaname / January 7, 2013 1:12 PM PST

That which can be asserted with no evidence may be rejected with no evidence."
--Christopher Hitchens

Collapse -
Free to disbelieve
by James Denison / January 7, 2013 9:49 PM PST

As I've said before, God's existence is not harmed by anyone's disbelief, only their own future.

Collapse -
So what are you saying?
by Diana Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 3:07 AM PST

Are you for or against or don't care about gay marriage?

Most people are against things that can harm others (not just make them uncomfortable). Should we go back to stoning and not eating pork and not mixing two kinds of material and having women cover themselves all over and men having to grow beards?

I don't believe in requiring others to follow my beliefs (no more than Christ did - remember the rich young ruler?) and I don't want others to require me to follow their beliefs.

Collapse -
Well, prepare to be
by James Denison / January 7, 2013 3:16 AM PST

disappointed one day. Things like this goes in cycles and thankfully the good side of the cycle is usually longer than the bad side. Who needs stones when there is HIV and probably worse to come. HIV in a way has been the patience of God urging their repentance, but I'd remind you of Jesus words on many occassions where he'd forgiven or healed someone, he'd admonish them with this thought "go thy way, sin no more, lest something worse befall thee". There's something worse coming along for the gays eventually, from God, and it will make HIV seem preferable.

Collapse -
Actually HIV has more to do with
by Diana Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 3:30 AM PST

promiscuity than with homosexuality. If only gays could get it, then you wouldn't see women with it. If men with HIV only had sex with men, then you wouldn't see women having it. There has never been a case where lesbians giving it to each other.

Quite honestly, I let God make the judgment. It's way above my pay grade.

Yes, Jesus said to go an sin no more but he didn't follow them around to make sure they didn't. If they wouldn't follow him, he didn't condemn them. I don't remember him condemning anyone but the money changers.

Collapse -
Oh Diane, if only you would first
by James Denison / January 7, 2013 3:41 AM PST

check your "facts".

"Men who have sex with men: At the beginning of the USA's epidemic, AIDS primarily affected men who have sex with men (MSM). Today, MSM still account for around three-quarters of HIV diagnoses among male adults and adolescents and the rate of HIV diagnoses among MSM is more than 44 times that of other men. Today, AIDS continues to directly affect thousands of gay and bisexual men and injecting drug users
every year, but it has also become a serious problem among Black Americans and, more recently,
among the Hispanic/Latino population....For
young people who belong to key populations at higher risk, the increase
was especially high; for example there was a 34 percent increase among
young men who have sex with men during the same
period.10 "

Uh, that comes to 75% of all HIV cases as I read it.

Pretty pictures here make it easier.

MSM= Men having sex with Men.

"MSM, particularly young, black MSM, are the most severely affected by HIV.By race, African Americans face the most severe HIV burden.
MSM accounted for 61% of all new HIV infections in the U.S. in 2009,
as well as nearly half (49%) of people living with HIV in 2008 (the
most recent year national prevalence data is available).CDC
estimates that MSM account for just 2% of the U.S. male population aged
13 and older, but accounted for more than 50% of all new HIV infections
annually from 2006 to 2009. In 2010, MSM accounted for 61% of HIV

African Americans:Among racial/ethnic groups, African Americans face the most severe burden of HIV in the U.S.While
blacks represent approximately 14% of the U.S. population, they
accounted for almost half (46%) of people living with HIV in the U.S. in
2008, as well as an estimated 44% of new infections in 2009. HIV
infections among blacks overall have been roughly stable since the early
1990s.Hispanics/Latinos:Hispanics/Latinos are also disproportionately impacted.Hispanics/Latinos
represent 16% of the population but accounted for an estimated 17% of
people living with HIV in 2008 and 20% of new infections in 2009. HIV
infections among Hispanics/Latinos overall have been roughly stable
since the early 1990s.In 2009, the rate of new HIV infections
among Hispanic/Latino men was two and a half times that of white men and
the rate among Hispanic/Latino women was four and a half times that of
white women.

From that one can only conclude it's great to be white and heterosexual, even better if faithfully married.

Collapse -
(NT) Like I said promiscuity.
by Diana Forum moderator / January 7, 2013 5:31 AM PST
Collapse -
The big problem with HIV speading is and was
by givemeaname / January 7, 2013 1:51 PM PST

intravenous drug use, the reusing of needls and hospitals reusing needles. Different story for Africa. One can thank, in part, the pope for the massive spread of HIV and AIDs in Africa, agian in part.
Even today the Red Cross has been fined $9.6 million and $16 million dollars for not tested rare blood types for hepitidus (?spelling), HIV and other blood transmitted stuff.

But what this has to do with 2 consenting adults that just want to get married I don't know.
People like to use and hide behind the religious card to justify there personal hate bigotry of others, this is nothing new. They will just repeat, like a robot using out dated material, when you ask them to justify with logical reason on 'why' in THEIR OWN words they can not, they copy and paste the same stuff other and other.

Collapse -
If marriage laws in Maryland really upset you.......
by Josh K / January 7, 2013 10:45 PM PST

......I recommend you pack up and move to Topeka, KS. The Westboro Baptist Church is there and it sounds like you guys are a match made in..........well, somewhere just south of Heaven.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.