Audio & Video Software forum

Question

Same question,but still not clear- MiniDV to Digital storage

by TheWogster / August 15, 2012 9:33 PM PDT

Hi,

I have seen a similar question on multiple forums but I am still not clear of the options available to me.

The requirement.

How to transfer my data from miniDV tapes to digital storage in a format which allows me to use /edit the digital files for editing.
So, I would copy the data from Tape 1 to my NAS or a DVD for example, and then the file would become my digital master file Dig_from_Tape1, to be accessed using editing software to create home movies or similar, which I would the save in a format of choice based on need.

The history

I have tapes going back some 15 odd years, and am on my second camcorder. Many years ago I purchased Pinnacle, installed it on my XP based PC, but established (so it appeared) that the processes of transferring was indelibly linked to editing, so I could only save the final end product of the edit.
Subsequently I have a newer PC, and my version of Pinnacle (I assume, I have not tested) will not run on Windows 7. I am concerned about my tapes degrading, so all I really want to do now is transfer all the data from my tapes to a digital l format which can be accessed ad hoc for editing, at the best possible quality.

My current hardware is the camcorder and my PC , which I expect to connect with firewire. I am not expecting to purchase any other hardware, but if needs must, I will be guided by the feedback. Software, outdated Pinnacle, and whatever comes standard with Windows 7.

Please could you advise which options are available to me, ideally, the most cost effective options too. Happy

Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Same question,but still not clear- MiniDV to Digital storage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Same question,but still not clear- MiniDV to Digital storage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Pinnacle
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 15, 2012 9:39 PM PDT

1. Did you actually try if your version of Pinnacle works in Windows 7?
2. Would it be a serious objection to buy a new version to save your precious movies?
3. If you upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate (can be done with the socalled 'anytime upgrade' feature) you can install a virtual version of XP that would allow you to install and run the old Pinnacle.

Kees

Collapse -
Reply to Kees_B
by TheWogster / August 16, 2012 12:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Pinnacle

Hi Kees_B

Thank you for responding.

Answers:
1: Not yet. What is the value, as I do not have the functionality I have requested regardless?
2:It would be a consideration, but does it offer what I am after, as I had posted?
3. Great workaround on the XP issue, but Pinnacle did not appear to meet my requirement.

Thanks

The Wogster

Collapse -
Re: Pinnacle
by Kees_B Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 1:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Kees_B

If you don't edit the movie once Pinnacle has it, but just save it to your hard disk, wouldn't it be safely there (far away from the degrading tape), ready for editing with any program (including Pinnacle) that you want to use (including programs to convert it to other formats, so you can edit it with other programs).

Kees

Collapse -
Give it a swing
by TheWogster / August 16, 2012 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Pinnacle

Kess_B,

I was not aware that Pinnacle would save it to disk on a format that would be accesible to Pinnacle again for editing (or any other video editing software). I will have a look at the viability of running existing pinnacle on Windows 7 and try and ascertain if I can copy to disk for later editing.

Thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
I can predict
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 12:46 AM PDT

You won't be doing this for long. Why? NAS speeds are pretty bad. I tried something like this years ago but abandoned it for another process. I'll give you the highlights.

1. Capture. I used WinDV and that created the "file".
2. Post processing. I used Virtual Dub to snip off the ends and such.
3. More post processing. Today I might use Handbrake to compress the file.
4. Last step, name the file and copy it to the NAS.

Bob

Collapse -
Which process is in use now?
by TheWogster / August 16, 2012 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I can predict

Thanks Bob,

What is the process you eventually chose (I assume the steps above are the abandoned process)?

Regards

Warren

Collapse -
For miniDV and firewire
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 16, 2012 1:53 AM PDT

I still use that set of software. Handbrake came along later as I like it's relative speed and the output files play on many devices.

The new things create files on memory cards and such so it removes the firewire WinDV step.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.