PC Hardware forum

Question

Same GPU?

by Ryan309 / November 6, 2012 6:17 AM PST

I tried looking into this, but when I search for a GPU such as the Radeon HD 7970 different brands pop up that manufacture the same card. ex. Asus, Gigabyte, Diamond. The only problem I'm having is that each card is varying in price by almost $200. Why is each card priced so much differently when they all include Radeon HD 7970 with 3GB GDDR5?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Same GPU?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Same GPU?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I can find more variation than that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: Same GPU?

This is normal in a free market economy. For example I'd add over a thousand bucks if I had to support the end user. No offense but do you think the market should be brought under some central control?
Bob

Collapse -
by Ryan309 / November 6, 2012 11:43 AM PST

What I guess I meant was I want to know why two graphics cards of the same "quality" vary in cost so much. Is it the way the manufacturer assembles it? I guess I'm just wondering if I buy the one that is over $100 less than the more expensive one will it still be just as good? Just confused because they both have the same technology (Radeon HD 7970 with 3GB GDDR5), so I thought the same performance?

Collapse -
Let's say one was totally "green" technology
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2012 1:44 PM PST
In reply to: ...

And the other was from a plant that wasn't so green. I can't guess if that's true but there are full retail prices and discount. There are retailers that offer great service and will take back the product or help you install it. Another sells you the box and that's it.

I'm still unsure if you are unaware it is a free market economy. That is, the price does move around.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes, that makes sense.
by Ryan309 / November 7, 2012 4:04 AM PST

Yeah I understand the free market economy. I was just wondering if there were benefits to buying the more expensive one that I couldn't see.

Collapse -
Look at the links so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, that makes sense.

I see no links to the products so the question must be that you can't see why to pay more.

Try this. Search for a review on said card and watch for items that matter to you. For example some cards have fans that ROAR. You may want to check out the next card.

Also, why the 7970? Some gamers go to the top of the list very quickly. I've learned to go to the middle or low on the list.

What list? Link follows.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

Bob

Collapse -
I'll check the reviews
by Ryan309 / November 7, 2012 6:09 AM PST

That's an excellent point that I hadn't thought of. I guess the quality of the assembly of the card in general might be better. I was just using that GPU as an example. Not necessarily the one I'm getting. But just in case you have an opinion on the card, I want to be able to get the best possible performance out of my games.

Collapse -
Best gaming systems I know are a balance.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: I'll check the reviews

For example they pick from the list I noted within their budget and have read the following a lot of times.

"Our tests demonstrate fairly little difference between a $225 LGA 1155 Core i5-2500K and a $1000 LGA 2011 Core i7-3960X, even when three-way graphics card configurations are involved. It turns out that memory bandwidth and PCIe throughput don't hold back the performance of existing Sandy Bridge-based machines. "
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-4.html

So that covers the GPU and CPU. For the HDD my nod is to that hybrid 750GB 7200 2.5 inch drive. Best of both worlds without the pain.
bob

Collapse -
Looking at Builds
by Ryan309 / November 7, 2012 1:07 PM PST

When I was looking through many builds I see the 3570k CPU brought up a lot as one of the best cpu for the money and performance. I was also researching and I found that the CPU doesn't need to be that high end because it was mainly the GPU that mattered. Some people even suggested that the GPU take up 50% of your budget and that would let you play games with ease on max settings. Wouldn't that unbalance between a cheaper cpu and an expensive gpu be counterproductive? I was thinking of the 3570k matched with a top of the line gpu such as the 7970 or GTX670/680. Is that too much power? Keep in mind I want this thing to run perfectly on max Silly (sorry for so many questions)

Collapse -
Seems very nice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2012 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Looking at Builds

And one problem. I've yet to find everything to run perfectly on max. I can't guess if you know why so I'll summarize.

Current games must overtax any hardware today so when better hardware comes out, more features and eye candy show up.

There's some longer explainers about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Build
by Ryan309 / November 8, 2012 9:54 AM PST
In reply to: Seems very nice.
Collapse -
Just a seasoned answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Build

I don't pay for cases. They add zip in performance and in fact, give me a duct tape held together unit any day. The thief will look at it and think it's junk.
Bob

Collapse -
Hahaha
by Ryan309 / November 9, 2012 6:01 AM PST

Well then I guess I better order a cardboard box from my garage Silly Let the building begin.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.