Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Safer-Networking.org blocked

by imijah / May 10, 2010 12:51 PM PDT

This system is workiing on Windows XP pro Sp3 fully updated.

I have recently been deleting and uninstalling redundant apps and have not updated Spybot for some weeks. After these housekeeping jobs I find now that any reference to Spybot or the developer website results in a message from IE that it has a broken link.

Like the fool that I am I uninstalled Spybot and tried a reinstall. The installer needs to refer back to the homepage for the setup and configuration.

I have AVG ver 9 and after a full scan no infections have been found and Trend House-Call report none either. Is this a security issue and can my reckless action be overcome?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safer-Networking.org blocked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safer-Networking.org blocked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not Positive... But I Wonder
by tobeach / May 10, 2010 3:57 PM PDT

if a previous infection disabled the Spybot link by adding it to your host list or by putting it in the IE Internet Options>Security> Restricted sites list? The list of blocked sites is quite long but organized in a manner that should allow you to scan down to the "S's"
and delete it if its there.Option: try adding the site to safe zone.
This is based on the idea that IE is actually blocking.

Also check security center & firewall to see if both Spybot main exe & update exe are permitted there-in.

Another option is to install say a Mozilla Browser like Firefox or Sea Monkey, make it your default browser, and then visit S-N site and then try clean install (possibly by-passing IE block).

One other thought, AVG may be interfering with S&D access & or install. It shouldn't but they , at one time, were NOT installing
AVG IF Spybot was detected as onboard until you removed it. This was based on not liking S&Ds Tea Timer (ability to change registry) as well as some False Positive findings on some S&D components & definition files.

I thought they got past that but since I no longer use AVG, can't say for sure. There is an AVG forum here monitored by AVG staff you might ask for clarification there. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
thanks
by imijah / May 11, 2010 12:50 AM PDT

I will try your suggestions and visit the AVG forum.

Regards
Ian Ingleby

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.