Computer Help forum

General discussion

safely open or convert .dcm files to .jpg

by lady4501 / February 3, 2011 5:09 AM PST

some files i scanned in awhile back as jpg now have a dcm extension after jpg. as in, mypicture.jpg.dcm. and now i can't open them!
i don't even know what .dcm stands for (LOL)

(i have no idea why the extensions are there but i need to access the info. my laptop crashed & i reloaded lots of the info from a backup/recovery drive.)
using xp on an hp laptop, scanned on epson flatbed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: safely open or convert .dcm files to .jpg
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: safely open or convert .dcm files to .jpg
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First thing I would suggest is ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 3, 2011 6:39 AM PST

to select ONE of the files and delete the .dcm portion and see if it now opens (sometimes malware will add extensions). If it does not open add the .dcm file extension back onto the file name.

If the files are on Western Digital MyBook drive the DCM extension was added by Western Digital Mybook software, at least according to this website -

If the first thing works just get busy re-naming files. If it didn't work here is one converter (not free) -

Collapse -
.dcm file extension
by lady4501 / February 4, 2011 1:18 AM PST

i tried the first suggestion right away - didn't work.

and it is a MyBook backup, but i don't know why it adds the extension if it makes the file unusable (unless it owns one of the converter programs!) i wonder if i can open the files by plugging MyBook back in...
if not, will give the other programs a go.
thanks for the input.

Collapse -
You might also try ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 4, 2011 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: .dcm file extension

using the MyBook software to RESTORE the files. That is probably your best bet.

Whatever you do trying out converters, work with COPIES of the files and not with the originals.

Collapse -
After doing some checking it appears that ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 4, 2011 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: .dcm file extension

you cannot convert the *.dcm files as they are information files that contain the actual path, the creation date and time of the file, and the checksum value (which is only for Memeo AutoBackup's internal use) are stored in the .dcm file.

This link should help you to actually RESTORE the files you want from the backup on your external MyBook drive.

Collapse -
thanks for the links
by lady4501 / February 5, 2011 3:36 AM PST

and the input (i agree, Kees)
- if only there were some way to simplify, streamline all the info that we try to preserve!

Collapse -
I hate those backup programs ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 4, 2011 4:30 AM PST

that convert their input data to some proprietary format. In my opinion, nothing is better than just a plain copy. Only compressing with a standard algorithm (like zip or rar) is acceptable.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.