Computer Help forum

General discussion

safe to down load fonts?

by imgrateful_1 / January 1, 2006 10:15 AM PST

I hear so much on it not being safe to down load from internet. I was wondering about fonts? Would anyone have recommended sites?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: safe to down load fonts?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: safe to down load fonts?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Downloading fonts
by El Alquimista / January 1, 2006 3:40 PM PST

To answer your second question first, Microsoft has this list of type foundries ? yes, they are still called that even though they no longer deal with metal. Some ?fonts? cost money, either directly or shareware; others are freeware. Some foundries have both. (I won?t rant about the now-common misuse of the term ?font.?)

For more specific recommendations, you should specify the kind(s) of typefaces desired; traditional, modern, whimsical, seasonal, display, foreign, ancient (yes, you can get ancient Sanskrit, Egyptian hieroglyphics, etc.) or what. After all, there are thousands of typefaces out there.

As for the safety of downloading, it depends on several factors. One is, of course the site. Foundries that charge or provide shareware are likely to be safer than some (not all) that are totally free. One thing I look at in any download site is the number and types of ads that support the site. You can develop a feel for the kind that might deliver malware. Another thing to look at is the name of the outfit; an established name likely being safe.

But the real key to safety is how you protect yourself. The internet can be hazardous even if you don?t download ? it just becomes more hazardous if you do. The protections you need have been discussed many times in these forums. Basically, the minimum is a good antivirus program, about three different anti-spyware programs, an anti-Trojan, and a firewall. It is important that they be kept up-to-date, and routinely used.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
question on down loading
by imgrateful_1 / January 1, 2006 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: Downloading fonts

Thanks Frank..... I appreciated your reply. I am always glad to learn something extra. Yes I'm aware of the protection needed. And I'm always careful to run up dates and the scans for everything.

Collapse -
It's not safe to download anything.
by bob b / January 1, 2006 9:09 PM PST

There are reasons a non-standard font may be needed.

For gp usage the standard fonts seem to work just fine.

I have my font download set to prompt and every so often when I'm surfing the net I hit a site that wants to download a font.

I just tell it NO and nothing bad seems to happen.

Collapse -
Not quite true
by El Alquimista / January 2, 2006 4:38 AM PST

If this statement were true, then it would not be safe to download upgrades to your OS or AV database, any of the fine shareware and freeware programs, etc.? Actually, there are many safe sites that I would not hesitate to use for downloads -- including Cnet's own

While the fonts supplied in Word will suffice for much general purpose word processing use (e.g., writing letters and documents), especially in English and other European languages, these fonts are deficient in many other areas. Variety is lacking in fonts for languages such as Greek, Cyrillic, the Semitic languages, etc. And as I said in my earlier post, there are also hundreds or thousands of other fonts of interest to graphics artists, ad writers, scholars, and others with interests that go beyond mere letter writing.

I do agree that if a site gratuitously offers to download a fort -- or emotocons, or an anti-malware program, or a browser aid, or almost anything else -- you should shun it; these are common sources of Trojans. But going out to legitimate foundry sites to find a special font you need or want is an entirely different matter You musn't let paranoia destroy your interests here or in other areas involving downloads.

Collapse -
true tru
by ackmondual / January 10, 2006 2:51 AM PST
In reply to: Not quite true

Some1 back in high school actually downloaded ancient english font and used it in a fun Magna Carta like contract assignment. He even burnt the paper slightly so it looked like some parched scroll.

Collapse -
I have downloaded
by PudgyOne / January 2, 2006 10:12 AM PST

I have downloaded fonts before.

The website I went to was safe and no spyware or viruses.

You can go to Larabie Fonts by clicking below

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
downloading fonts
by imgrateful_1 / January 3, 2006 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: I have downloaded

Wow!!! thanks a lot Rick. I will check that web site out. my husband writes poetry, so sometimes we feel like exploring for different print to use.

Collapse -
Hm. Poetry, huh?
by Mike in Dallas / January 5, 2006 9:20 PM PST
In reply to: downloading fonts

One of my favorite fonts for poetry and other "etheral" uses is called PAPYRUS and is available free. GOOGLE it. I think your husband, the poet, will love it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.