Mac OS

General discussion

Safari Update Download uninstalled my os x snowleapord 10.6.

by el-santo / February 18, 2013 3:28 AM PST

Last week I downloaded an Apple Safari update from CNET. I have done this before and had no problems. When it downloaded a message conveyed basically that the download was not compatible with my version of Safari which is OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.8. What downloaded to my iMac was the Lion version. Now Snow Leopard browser has disappeared. I had to open another partition and had my brother send me via Skype a Firefox browser download.

I contacted CNET and this was their reply:

From: "support.cnet@cbsinteractive.com" <support.cnet@cbsinteractive.com>
To: "cathefelix@yahoo.com" <cathefelix@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 2:46 PM
Subject: Download uninstalled my os x snowleapord 10.6.8 [ ref:_00DE0ZiAl._500E04e6Fw:ref ]

Philip,

It sounds like this is an Apple issue; Lion is not something Apple makes available outside of their own app store, so I don't think TechTracker could have downloaded it to your machine when you were updating Safari. I have forwarded your comments on to our product management team, however, just so they are aware of this.

Your best bet is probably to contact Apple support:

http://www.apple.com/support/

You could also try posting this as a topic in the forums, as other CNET members may have advice to offer:

http://forums.cnet.com/

For help using the forums, please see this page:

http://forums.cnet.com/forums-FAQ/

If you need help locating any other resources on CNET, be sure to let us know.

Sincerely,
Jen
CNET Customer Help

Can someone please help me with this problem.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safari Update Download uninstalled my os x snowleapord 10.6.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safari Update Download uninstalled my os x snowleapord 10.6.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First let's cover the basics of Apple downloads.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 5:14 AM PST

Apple has a system in place that will download system software, including Safari updates, to your computer without the need to visit third party sites.
Software Update... can be found under the Apple menu at the top left of the screen. That will only show you the updates that are required, specifically, by your machine.

The easiest way to fix this problem is to use your Time machine backup to restore your bad copy of Safari back to the one you need. No Time Machine backup??? Why not?

If that is not a viable option, go over to the Apple website and download a copy of Safari, http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

That will give you an older copy of Safari. Now go to http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399 and download the combo update and run it.
Should do the trick

P

Collapse -
Safari Update Download uninstalled my os x snowleapord 10.6.
by el-santo / February 18, 2013 9:14 AM PST

Thank you so much for your help. I tried to use the time machine initially but I had never set it to work when I bought my iMac; my bad. I have been able to use my imac because my son sent me a firefox download through Skype. I'm going to try your advice but let me show you what I have done up to now with no success: I downloaded Safari 5.1.7 and it downloaded successfully. I restart computer but to no avail. Can't find Safari icon anywhere. I tried four times. What I did find was a folder with Safari 5.1. When I try to open it says in a message box "not recognized" disk images couldn't be opened.
You can't use this version of the application Safari with this version of Mac os x. You have os x 10.6.8. The application requires Mac os x 10.8 or later.
I also found in "search" multiple copies of safari 6 lion.pkg.

Regarding why I downloaded from CNET is because I registered with them when I purchased my imac and they send my the updates via CNET Tech Tracker. I downloaded the Apple Safari update, which I assumed was an update for my browser, and now I have this problem. The update did not specify for Snow leopard or Lion. If it did I never would have downloaded the update.

Thank you so much for your input. I'm stumped but I'm going to now try your suggestions.

Collapse -
Ok, now go back and do what I suggested
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 9:05 PM PST

Do not get any more software updates for things that are Apple from CNET.

By all means use the Tech Tracker for other software.

Delete the folder that contains Safari 5.1

P

Collapse -
It Worked!
by el-santo / February 19, 2013 4:13 AM PST

Dear mrmacfixit, I forgot to do the second update you mentioned and that's why I did not get my problem solved yesterday. I did the second update today and it worked I got back my safari browser and the icon is back on the dock. Thank you so much for you help I was much frustrated. Be blessed!

Collapse -
You're welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: It Worked!

pleased it worked out for you

P

Collapse -
not Apple
by macert / February 20, 2013 2:08 PM PST

The identical incident happened to me 2/20. I was a new user of Techtracker. Several of the software updates identified by Techtracker were not supported by OS S 10.6.8, even though Techtracker correctly showed this as my version to update.

It took hours to restore Safari and I wouldn't have been able to accomplish it that easily without this user forum.
Have another look and review-not Apple.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove unintended HTML codes in post on 02/21/2013 at 10:17 AM PT

Collapse -
Just a note. Alerted this post for a little cleanup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2013 2:15 AM PST
In reply to: not Apple

It appears that if you paste rich text that happens. I've alerted it so maybe the extra bits can go away.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.