Mac OS forum

Safari forces landscape when printing

by fosterpapillon / February 20, 2013 7:26 AM PST

Whenever I print from Safari, the print dialogue box comes up with the orientation set to landscape. I've checked out Safari Help and every other source of assistance I can find and I've tweaked every option, including the presets and I can't make it default to portrait.

I haven't re-installed Safari, maybe that's the way to go?

Intel iMac, OS 10.8.2, Safari v6.0.2

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safari forces landscape when printing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safari forces landscape when printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
For me? I'd try Firefox and other browsers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 7:30 AM PST

Given the issues I've encountered over the years I think of my Boy Scout training when Ned told me to always carry a spare.

Collapse -
But I love Safari
by fosterpapillon / February 20, 2013 10:04 AM PST

Moving to another browser is just going to give me a dozen more unanswered questions. Are you suggesting that there's no solution in Safari?

Collapse -
Well there is a workaround.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: But I love Safari

Print to PDF and if that's good, print that. I'm not the only one around so let's see what others say. I must use a dozen browsers across the machines at the office. Can't say I'd show any affection.

Collapse -
I'm not really in love ...
by fosterpapillon / February 20, 2013 5:21 PM PST

I do like Safari but I'm not really ready to marry my browser Happy Printing to PDF is another fudge - I'd like to print the way I do in every other app.

Collapse -
Your printing problem.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 8:44 PM PST

When you hit the Print button, or the File/Print option, do you get the printer dialog box?

When I print from Safari, I get the Print Dialog box and in that box I can specify a number of things, one of them being orientation.
Choose how you want the printer to handle your page and then hit the Presets button.
Choose "Save current settings as Default"

Now you should print in Portrait all the time.

Did that work?

Collapse -
Done that - doesn't work
by fosterpapillon / February 21, 2013 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: Your printing problem.

Yes, the dialogue comes up and yes I can change it to portrait - but I'd like portrait to be the default.

I've done all of those preset things - nothing I do will change the default.

Collapse -
Update: Problem is worse
by fosterpapillon / April 3, 2013 10:28 AM PDT

I now find that landscape is always the default layout when I print from any application. This suggests that it's a system problem, not an app. Any ideas?

Collapse -
My suggestion is that it is a printer
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 9:32 PM PDT

check there

Collapse -
I agree, but ...
by fosterpapillon / April 4, 2013 2:40 PM PDT

I agree, but there are no printer preferences which relate to page orientation. It's a Brother HL-5350DN.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.