Mac OS forum

Safari force reload

by 1travlr / May 15, 2013 8:33 AM PDT

I recently updated a MacBook Air to 10.8.3 and all seems to be well except for one issue. When I open Safari, the first web page I try to go to hangs. When I click the reload symbol I get a drop down that says the page is not responding and asking if I want to force reload. After the force reload all works well, including subsequent web pages. Anyone know a cause/cure for this?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safari force reload
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safari force reload
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What is the Home page for Safari?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 15, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Safari force reload

Does it hang when opening that one?

Collapse -
More info
by 1travlr / May 15, 2013 12:26 PM PDT

I have Safari set to open with an empty window. It does not matter what web link I click on, I still get the hang. I have the home button set to an Earthlink start page and it does the hang with that as well. Tried changing the page for the home button with no luck.
After messing with it a while some more things I noticed:

If I click cancel on the drop down instead of force reload and then click on one of my bookmarks all works normally.

When I first open Safari, if I click on one of the menu bar items- file, view, etc.,- there is about a three second delay before anything happens. After that all works normally.

I have tried repairing permissions and a safe boot with no change.

Collapse -
Does this happen all the time,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 15, 2013 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: More info

or just when coming out of sleep?

Are you using a Wireless connection?

Do you have Safari set to Auto Launch?

What happens if you do NOT use the Force Reload option but just choose another page to go to?

Once it starts to work, does it work ALL the time, First time, after that?

Sounds suspiciously like your wireless connection is not fully established before you launch Safari.

Collapse -
It does happen all the time,
by 1travlr / May 16, 2013 2:23 PM PDT

I am using a wireless connection. I tried turning off the wireless on the Mac then turning it back on. After waiting for the wireless menulet to show that I was connected to my network I tried again with the same result.

If I do not choose force reload and go to another page it works normally.

Once it does work it works all the time after that.

Also, I do not have Safari set to auto launch.

Could the wireless connection cause the delay when clicking on one of the options in the Safari menu bar?

Collapse -
Yes, I think this has everything to do
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 16, 2013 9:47 PM PDT

with the wireless connection.

try doing something else before you launch Safari to see if waiting for a little while, perhaps a minute to start, makes any difference.

It does take some time to establish a reliable connection, even after the wireless Menu icon shows connected. Once connected there is a little management going on between the wireless router and your Mac before a through connect is established.

Also try a reboot of your wireless router, before you try anything else

Collapse -
Still no luck
by 1travlr / May 17, 2013 2:24 PM PDT

I rebooted the router but had the same results. Also, it didn't matter if I waited for a couple of minutes before I tried launching Safari nor waiting a couple of minutes after launching Safari before trying a web page.

On a different note, I get the same results when the Air is connected via ethernet cable. Did not have this issue at all when I was using Lion. I tried clearing the cache in Safari but it did not help. Any other ideas I may try?

Collapse -
Download and install Firefox.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2013 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Still no luck

See if you get the same problem.

Collapse -
by 1travlr / May 19, 2013 1:59 PM PDT

I have been using Glims to add search engines to the search bar and it needed to be updated. All is working well now. Thank you for the assistance you have rendered.

Collapse -
you're welcome, but it would have been nice
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 19, 2013 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Success

had you given us all the story first

Collapse -
I agree
by 1travlr / May 20, 2013 1:29 PM PDT

Unfortunately, I installed it so long ago that I had forgotten about it. Once I applied the search engines I wanted it sort of faded to the background.

Collapse -
Yes, that tends to happen
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 20, 2013 9:29 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree

at least you finally tracked it down though.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.