The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Safari for Windows

by Leo Watson / June 11, 2007 4:38 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Safari for Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Safari for Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Something Wrong?
by tomstar3000 / June 11, 2007 1:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Safari for Windows

I tried loading Safari on two different XPsp2 machines and I can't see the words in the top menu bar (file, edit, view.. etc...) and about 25% of the browser text missing. Maybe I'm missing something!

Collapse -
Here's my fix
by onlycodered / June 12, 2007 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Something Wrong?
Collapse -
Safari & iPhone
by Taegugki / June 13, 2007 6:05 PM PDT

I believe they will make the iPhone dependent on Safari (win & OS X) as the iPod to the iTunes, so for iPhone OS updates, etc, they will have to log in to Safari. Plus Steve Jobs with Boot Camp on the Mac and Safari on Windows, he wants to start stealing Windows PC consumers and bring them to the Mac. It's all about the Market Share baby!

Collapse -
East ASian Language probs
by Taegugki / June 13, 2007 6:07 PM PDT

I'm having problems loading pages here in South Korea, the Korean characters do not show up on the page. And on certain sites, if I put text in search columns the browser crashes

Collapse -
Worst. Crap. Ever.
by SPIRIdk / June 11, 2007 4:15 PM PDT

WTF just happened? Were Apple so keen on getting it out after WWDC, that they just released an early alpha batched as beta?

It's like the worst browser I've ever tried. It's rendering everything wrong. Have a look at Google results and CNET's site for examples. It crashes, and it is sooo ugly... Sad

This is embarrassing Apple, you would have been much better off waiting until you had a actual beta, instead of this piece of junk.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Agreed. Crashy on WIndows. Crashy on Mac.
by udayan71 / June 11, 2007 8:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Worst. Crap. Ever.
Collapse -
I'll go one better...
by davviau / June 12, 2007 3:11 PM PDT

...it's crashy on Firefox. I tried watching the demo video at apple.com and Firefox crashed!

David

Collapse -
no problems on either platform here
by Alegoo92 / June 12, 2007 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Worst. Crap. Ever.

Only thing I noticed is on Windows some buttons were oddly sized in comparison to the search bar..

Alex

Collapse -
Hmm
by SPIRIdk / June 12, 2007 5:11 PM PDT

So you say you have no problems with Safari for Windows not showing bold text?

Collapse -
Bold text..
by Alegoo92 / June 13, 2007 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

I'm not on Windows.. but don't remember noticing a lack of bold. I looked at Amazon, Digg, CNET, Apple, and Wikipedia with the browser. Nothing seemed amiss.

Alex

Collapse -
Meh
by nelsondr / June 11, 2007 7:03 PM PDT

It seems odd that Apple would enter the browser fray this late in the game. I can only imagine that they are wanting to make it available to Window so that web site developers will make more sites work better with Safari.

I wasn't blown away with Safari in the 20 minutes or so that I tried it out. I downloaded it to my laptop, and one thing I didn't like is I couldn't scroll using the mouse pad. I actually had to click and drag on the side bar. As far as the pages that I visited they rendered OK. I wasn't too impressed with the smoothing of the fonts, but for the most part the pages looked alright.

I'll probably try the current version later on my desktop and we'll see if I'm impressed further by Safari. I think there is some potential there. Firefox already seems to do everything that Safari can do, and with the addition of extensions can probably do more. I'll definitely check it out again when it gets closer to coming out of beta.

Collapse -
I don't get it
by mjeffryes / June 12, 2007 12:04 AM PDT

After struggling with Safari on my Mac for a few years, I wised up and installed Firefox. Why would Apple introduce a cross platform browser? This makes no sense. Overall very underwhelmed by the keynote. I don't see paying money for this upgrade. Is the this Apple's Windows Me? I see rough times for Apple on the horizon. The iPod pulled them from the brinks of demise and now it seems they are ignoring it. I doubt the Newton 2 will have much impact beyond the fan boy market. Ignoring the iPod will only allows others to eat up their coveted market share. iPhone competes in a space that Apple has never competed before, and those new competitors fight the fight in a much nastier way than Microsoft. Apple, focus on what has made you the darlings of the computing world, here is a hint: it's not your slight OS upgrades, web browser or the ability to make phone calls.

Collapse -
Not a slight OS upgrade
by Nicholas Buenk / June 12, 2007 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't get it

Spaces, time machine, new finder and dock, core animation, 64bit API's. There are many major changes here.

Collapse -
Major Updates?
by mjeffryes / June 13, 2007 10:36 PM PDT

I wouldn't call those major.

Spaces - a new way to switch between applications... yawn.
Finder - a different organization... I'm fast blinking back at my monitor.
Dock - icons that reflect on the bar... I actually laughed out loud that they bothered to call this out as a feature.
Core animation - A decent upgrade. If only there were games to play on the Mac.
64 bit - Welcome to the world of 64 bit processing. You beat MSFT by -5 years on this one. Congrats.

I'm not Mac basher at all. I typing this on my G5 iMac. This machine is getting towards 3 years old and it's time to replace. So far Apple hasn't shown my anything to keep purchasing their brand. My photo iPod sure is looking dated... If Apple doesn't release anything in that product line and with the Zune rumors swirling... I might have to unconvert.

Collapse -
Sounding like Mac Haters
by Taegugki / June 13, 2007 10:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Major Updates?

I'm a non-Mac owner, PC user, but always been a Mac fan (I used to work for Mac Mall).

I was stoked when I saw the keynote, this is the right time to buy a Mac with the leopard OS. Based on all of Windows limitations and lack of innovation, I'm getting a Mac when the Leopard comes out in South Korea What he showed in the keynote is just the flashy things to get people excited.

Outside of that, what's under the hood changes is what's really cool. I mean, for goodness sake, if there's so many complaints about either the Mac OS or Windows OS, why not create your own perfect OS? Geez

Collapse -
No
by crazzygooses-21553168322961657845549143886382 / June 14, 2007 12:22 AM PDT

Im on a MacBook and am using Opera. I looked at Safari and thought is was limited.

If I could make my own OS, I would, but I can't program.

Collapse -
hey
by Nicholas Buenk / June 14, 2007 7:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Major Updates?

Spaces is a really sweet virtual desktop implementation.
Finder - Looks like quite a nice improvement, especially with file sharing.
Dock - Stacks look like they'll be useful
Core Animation - This is not intended at games at all, rather it's intended for desktop apps, an API to allow developers to easily make eye candy.
64 bit - Has been in OS X for a while, but now it's has full API support. And it's a much better implementation than windows one, it runs 32bit drivers. There are no seperate 64bit and 32bit versions of the OS.

Collapse -
Makes Sense to Me
by navsimpson / June 12, 2007 12:49 AM PDT

As Mossberg pointed out when discussing iTunes, Apple are using software as a trojan horse to introduce people to the Mac aesthetic and interface, not to mention bypassing the messiness of Windows networking.

More importantly though, Apple are betting a lot on the iPhone. By distributing Safari for Windows, Apple have basically released an open-source SDK for AJAX development on the iPhone that is no longer limited to the Mac - if it works on Safari on your computer, it'll work on Safari on the iPhone.

They're clever folks, these Apple kids. I mean, even I am tempted to buy a Macbook now, and I never thought that was even remotely possible.

Collapse -
Unsafe safari.
by custardo / June 12, 2007 2:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
fair chance
by mwinship / June 12, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

In all fairness I've only played with Safari for about 30 minutes but thus far I see no compelling reason to switch. Opera appears to be just as fast and doesn't have the rendering issues that Safari does, plus I like some of the features in Opera like speed dial... I'll play with it a bit more, but I don't believe I'll be making the jump anytime soon.

Collapse -
I agree
by hepburn.william / June 12, 2007 4:31 AM PDT
In reply to: fair chance

Its a boatload of crap. Its crashey and slow!!!

Collapse -
Google has spoiled you guys
by rockinphotognyc / June 12, 2007 9:51 PM PDT
In reply to: I agree

Safari for Windows is a BETA!! a real beta, not a ready for the shelves product that all the web 2.0 guys call a beta anyways to sound cool. It's gonna have bugs, and they are going to fix them. That's the whole point of a beta., so testers can tell them what they have to fix.

Safari is a solid browser. I use it. I tried the OSX beta and had to roll back because stuff didn't work perfectly on the BETA. that's life.

get over it.

Collapse -
Beta
by udayan71 / June 13, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

Your point about beta is well and truly sound. I have no dispute with that.

I do however dispute your point about Safari being a solid browser. Apart from the one-trick of passing the Acid Test, Safari RSS (otherwise known as Safari 2) is an abomination! I have used Shiira, Camino, Firefox, IE, Safari, and even Netscape on this MacBook. Overwhelmingly in what I feel to be as-fair-tests-as-possible, Safari is the largest memory hog, crashed most often under duress from many flash sites loaded, or simply many tabs open, and had fewer features than Firefox.

I say this with one caveat, Safari 3 Beta has started working quite nicely for me. Nevertheless, Safari RSS is well and truly awful. A browser I would not recommend to anyone. By all means buy a Mac, but download Camino, Shiira, Firefox - or *sarcastic gasp* even IE. But don't use Safari RSS.

Collapse -
People are missing on the point with the Safari
by Taegugki / June 14, 2007 3:25 PM PDT

People that keeps comparing the Safari beta to other browsers are missing the point and the boat. I guarantee you that the iPhone will be to the Safari what the iPod is to the iTunes. So you have to use Safari for the iPhone.

The second point is the Safari is not targeted to technically savvy people that knows Firefox, Netscape, Camino, etc. Safari is targeting the people who know nothing about the other browsers and feel something is lacking with their current internet experience. Not everybody is tech savvy as the average CNET demographic. Think like a businessperson not a technical person and you'll understand exactly where I'm coming from.

Personally I'm a pimp for Firefox, I'm totally dissatisfied with the Safari Beta, but I also understand it's BETA!!!!!

Collapse -
Safari for home, Firefox for work
by minimalist / June 12, 2007 6:53 AM PDT

I love Safari for my Macs at home. It works on 99.9% of the sites I visit and I have been using it continuously for 2 years. Maybe it was iffy when it was first introduced but I have never had a problem with it. Heck, it works flawlessly with my banking site and even Firefox won't do that. Firefox for the Mac gets used for one thing and one thing alone on my machines: Google Calender. Plus I can't stand the visual clutter of Firefox. Yeah, I know there are skins but most of them are u-g-l-y.

However, my work requires I run Windows and the Safari Beta released yesterday won't cut it. In the first five minutes I visited 2 professional sites that used imbedded pulldowns that didn't work properly. Of course to be fair, they don't work with Firefox either so I grudgingly keep a copy of IE installed to use as a last resort.

Collapse -
Safari for Windows
by wizkids32 / June 12, 2007 7:03 AM PDT

I am using Safari on Windows 2 problems one no spell check and 2 no google toolbar for Safari and Mac's which is wrong for Google not to do. Otherwise I am liking the experience of Safari I downloaded it last night and I am running it and so far It is fun.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Flock > Safari 'Nuff Said
by shantanubala / June 13, 2007 8:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
The question is:
by thriftyT / June 13, 2007 8:59 AM PDT

Will Safari for Windows end like Explorer for Mac OS?
In the dustbin of history.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) 'At times like these, one can only hope'
by udayan71 / June 13, 2007 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: The question is:
Collapse -
Safari = IE 2.0
by crazzygooses-21553168322961657845549143886382 / June 13, 2007 10:10 PM PDT

Safari = Internet Explorer 2.0

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.