Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps

General discussion

Russian Company Using my Address

by Potomac / April 7, 2006 4:58 AM PDT

I am getting email returned to me that is actually being sent by a Russian Company. Somehow they are using my address and/or my IP number. I have tried writng to them, returning the mail to an email address that I believe is theirs but nothing seems to stop this. Since this is of no benefit to them that I can think of, it must be an error. Does anyone know how I can stop it short of changing my address?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Russian Company Using my Address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Russian Company Using my Address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nothing you can do about that..
by Gakada / April 7, 2006 5:24 AM PDT

Thats how the spammer works... spoofing your email address... and they are glad that you reply etc... it just tell them that your address is active...

The only thing you can do is changing your email address... and create several web based email for different purposes.. friends, family, shopping, banking, etc.

Collapse -
You can try
by PudgyOne / April 7, 2006 4:48 PM PDT

You can try changing your password to a mixture of letters and numbers. This would prevent them from getting into your email account (if they hacked into it).

Best solution is to change your email account and also make a more secure password for it. Do NOT publish your email address on a website anywhere unless you have a business. If you have a business, use a seperate email account for this purpose only. It will be spammed by robots and you'll get a lot of SPAM.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
Russian Company using my address
by Potomac / April 7, 2006 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: You can try

Guess I didn't explain it too well -- A legitimate Russian Company ''Center for Entrepreneurial Development'' performs training sessions for business'. They send out email such as the one I had translated, ''Training for the Effecient Secretary and Executive Assistant''. Those emails which cannot be delivered to their customers are, somehow, returned to me. I can't see how this is of any benefit to them and it does no harm to me except I sometimes get two or three a day. Question: Is there any agency to which I can report this that might possibly take some action to stop it and clear my address from their system?

Collapse -
again, that's how spammer works..
by Gakada / April 8, 2006 2:52 AM PDT

they spoof any email address and using any return address..

Either their computer is having a virus, or other people that has their email address have a virus ...

The email you received is NOT from them..

and NOTHING you can do..

Collapse -
It doesn't sound like a spammer
by benallgor / April 14, 2006 12:25 AM PDT

There seems to be too few emails for a spammer, unless he has an exceptionally good mailing list. I had this a few years ago, and I got 50 to 100 a day - and those were just the ones that had gone to non-existant email addresses. I can't remember for sure, but I think I traced them to the eariest ISP in the header and reported it there, but I don't know if it helped. I think he just moved on to use another address.

As I said above, I only received the emails that were automatically returned. My address was the return address in the emails. The recipient was supposed to click on a link in the email to respond to whatever they were selling so normal responses didn't come to me.

Maybe someone here will come up with something you can do without changing your email address. Good luck with it.

Collapse -
Perfect solution
by WilliamKazak / April 13, 2006 10:58 PM PDT

That happened to me so I contacted my isp.We changed my password with a combination of numbers and letters and we suspended and eventually deleted the sub accounts that the spammer created under my main account.The spammer created sub accounts because he cracked my main account password.

Collapse -
It's possible that...
by WheelerCub / April 18, 2006 4:08 AM PDT

It's possible that there is no malicious activity going on at all and the sender of the emails may have just mispelled their outgoing address. Of course, there is no way to tell if this is the case unless you are able to contact them and find out what is going on.

That said, the reality of the situation is that it is still wise to change your email address because now anyone on the receiving end of the messages can now add it to their own spam lists, attempt to send viruses, or look up your address and attack you on other Web resources such as message boards that you post at, blogs, etc.

Another thing you should be aware of is that these days an exact email address is no longer needed for you to be added to spam lists. You may experience a fairly common spamming practice where sneaky advertisers and spammers take the first half of an email address, apply it to every known email system, and then send their spam to these random combinations. For example, JohnSmith@yahoo.com, JohnSmith@earthlink.net, JohnSmith@hotmail.com, etc.

To correct this problem I recommend doing one or more of the following:

1) Abandon any email addresses that you use that have a name that is known to spammers (i.e. "JohnSmith" in the above example).
2) Change your private email to a name unknown to spammers, or one with an uncommon style such as John_Smith@sitename.com or John-Smith@sitename.com.
3) Never begin your email name with simple words or names such as john@yahoo.com, news@gmail.com, cats@hotmail.com because it is likely that spam is already being sent to these addresses and activating an account with the same name will only verify the address for spammers.
4) Never use your private email for signing up with new or unverified services, sites, or contests. Instead, create a specific email address to use for spam and unknown services such as junkmail333@yahoo.com.
5) After a service that you consistantly use has been verified as being "safe", you can update your contact email address to your real one.
6) Make sure that your private email name (i.e. John_Smith) and your junk email name (junkmail333) are very different or you may find yourself starting over.

Spyware and Spam are global concerns, and it is important that users protect themselves from spyware sources who may attempt to hijack their systems and/or personal information. To help protect you from these types of programs, CNET's Download.com offers a lot of information and programs for you to download.

http://www.download.com/Spyware-Center/2001-2023_4-0.html?tag=dir

Collapse -
let it go
by TCALLDAY / April 19, 2006 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: It's possible that...

i have to agree with some others these are not what u think they are. they say something like mailer demon they are not. they are i agree what the others have said from spammers looking for response's from you so that they can concentrate their efforts on valid email address. just like the nigerian millionaire scam
they are phishing only they are looking for a valid email address to spread throughout their network of spamming machines. do not respond to them in any way or you will have added your email address to their list and will be getting the latest natural male enhancer garbage emails for a very long time.

Collapse -
There is no security on sending email.
by AlTheEldr / April 13, 2006 9:08 PM PDT

Repeat this mantra until it sinks in:
There is no security on sending email. Anyone can send email as anyone else.
That is the short summary of section 7.1 of the international standard on the transport of email.

The email system does not require that you use your email provider to send email as you so there is no check back with the provider to see that you actually sent the message. Other folk can send email as you just by avoiding using your provider! Hence provider side security is worth something only to the provider. (See below.)

Changing your password does no good because that only is used when your user id is used to communicate with your email provider. Whoever is sending email as you is not using your email provider, so your password is not involved. (OTH having a strong password is a good idea on general principles.)

You receive the bounce messages - undeliverable messages - because email is bounced back to the sending address (yours) NOT the sending computer.

The worst part is that modern malware and spam 'bots randomly match sending and receiving addresses on the infected computer. The software also completely controls the headers so that it is typically impossible to identify the infected computer. It just isn't worth going blind staring at the headers trying to figure out who is infected. So don't bother. It won't do you any good.

Until the entire email system is revamped (yeah right!) this is something you will just have to live with. Feel free to copy this message to anyone that complains to you (unlikely anymore) and just get on with your life.

Unfortunately the feeling that there is security on sending email results from the one effort that email providers did to improve things - for themselves. Originally, the typical provider required a login to get email - to protect your privacy - but did not require one to send email. Because the providers became spam heavens many - but not all - of them imposed security on sending. So for you to use your provider to send you must provide a password. Modern mailware either uses open relays - those email systems that don't require login to send - or include the functionality to bypass the sending side email provider!

The one thing you can do is route all the undeliverable messages into the delete folder so you are no longer annoyed with them.

Iterested in a draft document on email security? Visit http://3bears.biz/Base/aboutUs.htm.

Regards,
Al Christoph
Senior Consultant and Proprietor
Three Bears Software, LLC
just right software @ just right prices @ 3bears.biz
getting email ready for Vista.

Collapse -
AlTheElder speaks with authority!
by tomrogers / April 13, 2006 10:28 PM PDT

AlTheElder speaks with authority!

Just to illustrate, I send out an email newsletter every week or so using a newsletter list management service based in Belgium called YourMailingListProvider. After I get the email tweaked, they send it out to my list using my email address. If someone replys to the email, it comes directly to me.

I'm the webmaster for a non-profit with a website which has the email address listed many times (as would be expected). Someone (or many) somewhere has latched onto using our email address to promote p---s enlargment products, and all kinds of other junk and I have no way of stopping them. They might send out hundreds, thousands, or maybe even more to addresses that they pick up with spider tools, or that are randomly generated. Of course many of the emails have the incorrect address on them, so they kick back, and since they have our email address as the from address, the email comes to me. Sometimes I'll have a hundred or more in my mailbox, many are filtered out already. I get emails from distraught people wondering why we are sending these emails, it's a pain in the butt!

Set your email program to filter out the kickback notices, move them directly to your junk mail folder. The less you have to think about it the happier you'll be.

Collapse -
Prosecute the spammer!!!
by rkt / April 14, 2006 1:23 AM PDT

why the government don't prosecute thoes who benifits from spam emails???? Someone must be selling something with the spam. They must have paid other to spam. Just like someone hire a professional killer. They'll get prosecuted if cause. Why can't they do the same to spammer?

Collapse -
If it is a Spammer, What's the purpose?
by Potomac / April 14, 2006 6:22 AM PDT

I have learned to live with it and have the messages sent directly to my "Delete" file.
I have had one of the messages translated and it is a very well done brochure advertising an upcoming seminar/training session for executive secretaries at the Hotel Kiev. From the number of returns that I receive, they must have several training sessions per month. I can't figure out what purpose is served by using my address for returned/email. Does anyone have any idea what good comes out of having the returns sent to my address??

Collapse -
maintaining an active email addresses, just
by Gakada / April 17, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

remember, it might NOT from those people, it might coming from somewhere else..

the return address, the mail server, the sender address are probably FAKE address...

also, the return address may change/different for different people too.

Collapse -
Zombie?
by wotnwabbit / April 13, 2006 10:01 PM PDT

Are you sure your computer hasn't been taken over by malware and become a zombie controlled to send out spam? Do you leave your computer on and unattended for long periods of time? Do you notice volumes of internet activity when there should be none?

Collapse -
It usually goes away in a few weeks
by johnbiest / April 14, 2006 1:07 AM PDT

I'm assuming you have gone through the normal protections - changed your password, firewall, turn off your computer when not in use, etc. If that hasn't stopped the email, it's like you have heard from a few others - someone is just using your email address in their header. They don't have to access your account or anything else to do this. You can usually check with your ISP to see how much mail has been sent using your account. I'll bet you'll find nothing.

Same thing happened to me. The best sounding advice I got was to put my email address (listed on my website) inside a Java box so crawler programs couldn't read it (but humans could). Before I learned how to do it, the emails had stopped (about 3 weeks).

Hope this helps (helps you feel better, anyway. I can't solve your problem.)

Collapse -
Russian Company using email address
by xxgmbxx / April 14, 2006 2:34 AM PDT

About one year ago I kept receiving spam from over seas. Since I use Adelphia for my email, I contacted them about it. There was nothing they can do to help but they were upset about it. Today the problem is corrected by changing my email address. If you change your email address and notify those who are important it will be like a new start.

Collapse -
Hey guys, try this, so you will know how easy...
by Gakada / April 14, 2006 3:43 AM PDT

they get and use your email address...

create new mail account (in outlook express or other)

put ANY name, ANY email address, ANY Incoming POP, do not entered any password, enter your real ISP as the Outgoing SMTP..

Now create a new mail, Use the NEW Account in the From: field ... then put your real address in the TO: field .(its a test .. so you need to send it to yourself) .. click send .. and wait..

You will get that email ... eventhough you know that email account is fake..

So anyone who have your email address can use it in the From: field.

Collapse -
Ouch. You know a Few Years ago I once got a Bunch of Emails
by gopherit912 / April 14, 2006 5:58 AM PDT

That weren't for me. Truth be told I didn't know what to do so I didn't do anything. Well there was a time when I couldn't get access to a Computer all that easily so Yahoo Deleted me. I was thinking oh well, Had hardly any Use for it anyways. Well a While Later Yahoo gave me back my Email address saying there was some sort of Mix Up on one of their lists. All My Contacts were there but all of my Messages were Missing. My Inbox was completely Clean and I haven't gotten a Single Piece of Spam since.

Well as for solving the Problem you could always create another Email but that isn't exactly clean because that means you have to Import all your Contacts, any Websites you signed up for with it you have to change, and then you have to tell everyone that was on your Contact list that you have Changed Email Addresses. That can be a Pain I know. I recently Signed up for Gmail and had to tell everyone that I changed my Main Email to something else.

But someone did post another Solution. A Couple actually. You can Filter it so it doesn't bother you or you can get any sub accounts deleted. Probably the First Option though because the Second one is Assuming there are any Sub Accounts.

Well C'ya around the CNET Crowd.

Collapse -
Russian Company Using E-mail Address
by viclud / April 14, 2006 5:03 PM PDT

I have recently had an increasing number of messages on the server for an alternative e-mail address of mine. The drift of all them all is a supossed problem with delivery of some message or another. I operate a program that allows me to preview messages on the server - the content of every one of these messages is 'rubbish', as used by spammers to try to avoid AV programs. I delete them all on the server, so they don't get into my machine.
Viclud

Collapse -
A Program
by gopherit912 / April 14, 2006 6:56 PM PDT

I see. Actually I've never heard of a Program like this. Can you tell me a bit more or at least give me a name?

Collapse -
Blocking that address is easy
by DarCLew2 / April 15, 2006 10:09 AM PDT

I had similar problems with hotmail.com, aol.com @ yahoo.com. There is an options page for yahoo & hotmail and what I put in for a blocked site is the end of the email: user@hotmail.com.ru and put .ru in blocked sites and look carefully as to how you wish to set it up. In the control panel, the same can be done there, but it would be your screenname@your-isp.ru/ I had found a site that lists all countries endings at:
http://www.eubank-web.com/William/Webmaster/c-codes.htm
Mine was outdated but this is not. I had problems with cn, nl,and a few others and they are listed as China, Netherlands etc.

Collapse -
Cannot be stopped
by tucker_india / April 17, 2006 3:53 AM PDT

AlTheEldr is right, this cannot be stopped. And it has nothing to do with your email account or password or even your email address.

Think of it like this: you can send a piece of snail mail to someone, and you could write ANY address in the corner for the return address. Email is exactly like that. With a simple mail program, you can put any email address you want as the sender.

I receive all email sent to my domain name, and often get mail bounced back to email addresses that don't even exist. For example: (substituted "mydomain.com" for my domain)

VivianStory@mydomain.com
MarthaChen@mydomain.com
RandiFriedman@mydomain.com
TerriSalazar@mydomain.com

These accounts do not exist with my webhost, nor do they need to exist. All the emails were hocking cheap software. SPAMmers at work - and who knows how many thousands of emails were sent that did not bounce back to me.

Collapse -
Report to ISP
by batavier / April 17, 2006 8:36 AM PDT

If you have a copy of such e-mail, you may want to send it to "abuse@yourISP" with explanation of your story.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.