Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

running wireless and wired networks together

by kyphoto / December 13, 2009 2:47 AM PST

I have a PC and a laptop networked through a switch and run adsl as well. Have set up a wireless network so I can use the laptop in another room. The wired network workgroup is "DELTATEC" the wireless "PHOTO"

The laptop only shows the DTS, but icon says wireless network "PHOTO" is connected. IF I disconnect cables and try to use wireless only neither computer can see the other.

Can I use one workgroup name for both wireless and wired?

Running WIN XP on both machines.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: running wireless and wired networks together
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: running wireless and wired networks together
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Workgroup name isn't dependent on type of connection
by Steven Haninger / December 13, 2009 5:04 AM PST

to the router. You can have as many PCs with that workgroup name as you wish. Whether or not all will be visible under that workgroup name depends on firewalls and such.

Collapse -
Can I use one workgroup name for both wireless and wired?
by Coryphaeus / December 14, 2009 9:50 PM PST

Of course, it's preferred. Why complicate things? I have three desktops and three laptops, all wired and wireless. And only one workgroup name. Each PC can see the other, share files and printers.

On another note, what's the need for a switch? With only two PCs, why involve a switch. A router can work perfectly by itself.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2009 11:24 PM PST

But here's where some get confused. I'm finding folk confused over the workgroup name and the WIFI SSD or network name. Those two have no interaction and the only advice I have about both is KEEP THEM SIMPLE.

The viewing of shares has 99.99 per cent of the time been firewalls or settings in antivirus suites. I'm finding the new complicated antivirus suites and NO STANDARD INTERFACES to plunge owners into chaos and calls to greek squads or worse.

There's a lesson here. -> LEARN all about the software you install.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.