TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Running right and left front speakers through my sub

by chrisss72 / November 2, 2006 1:53 AM PST

Should I be Running right and left front speakers through my sub? I have the polk monitor30 series 5.1 speaker system. I dont see why its recommened.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running right and left front speakers through my sub
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running right and left front speakers through my sub
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What AV Reciver do you have???
by jcrobso / November 2, 2006 2:32 AM PST

The sub should be just the below 80hz frequencies. John

Collapse -
I have a yamaha amp
by chrisss72 / November 2, 2006 3:40 AM PST

I also have a built in crossover in my sub and a crossover in my amp. I set the crossover all the way up on my sub and at 80 on the amp. Whats the purpose of running the right and left through the sub? I can run them through the amp directly. Thanks for your help

Collapse -
There are two ways to hook up the sub.
by jcrobso / November 2, 2006 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: I have a yamaha amp

1. If you have AV receiver that has a sub channel output
you would use a RCA cable from the AV receiver to the RCA input on the sub. The L-R speakers would be hooked to the L-R speaker outputs. I assume this is what you are doing.

2. If you have a receiver that dose NOT have sub output, you would run the L-R speaker lines to the sub and from the sub to the L-R speakers.
# 1 is the better method. John

Collapse -
You're Hook-up Is Correct (don't change anything)
by RoadRunner6 / November 2, 2006 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: I have a yamaha amp

Some subs have an extra ''bypass'' or ''LFE'' input that avoids the crossover in the sub. This is the best one to use. The sub will also have the regular input that uses the crossover in the sub. Use this regular input if the sub does not inlcude a ''bypass'' input (or a bypass switch on the sub that bypasses the sub's internal crossover). These inputs can sometimes have both left and right stereo inputs. Use only one of these two.

Some other subs do not have the ''bypass'' input. In this case be sure you set the crossover dial on the sub to the highest possible setting (up out of the way so that we don't duplicate the crossover by "cascading" it) and use the crossover setting on the receiver. I think this is the case with your sub.

Almost all subs also have a ''high'' level or also called a ''speaker'' level in and out which are actually speaker type wire connections. These are used, for example, in a two speaker/sub system when you do not have a ''small vs large'' setting and crossover in the receiver or pre-amp. The sub takes the full range signal from the receiver's speaker wire outputs, and then uses the crossover in the sub to send only the higher frequncies on to the left and right speakers and keeps the lower bass for itself.

Many subs have some combination of the above settings. It is a ''nice to have all of these on the back of our sub so we can cover all the possible hook-up scenarios for you'' situation. Most of it is old stuff that no one ever uses now. All subs are different in how they configure, label and describe this in their many times very vague owner's manuals and thus very confusing for the end user.

Some brands are starting finally to eliminate much of these uneccessary hook-up options.

A modern subs only needs to have one single RCA type in jack (for most common systems). The sub does not need to have any internal crossover. Modern receivers do all the bass management in the receiver and not in the sub. If you see a sub like this jump for joy.

The only other controls you should have besides the obvious power controls are a phase switch or dial on the sub. Use the setting that produces the loudest low bass output at your listening area while both the sub and the main speakers are playing music with lots of bass.

You should start with the volume on the sub at about 1/3 to 1/2 volume or 9-12 o'clock position. This is simply a gain control to makes sure your sub is reasonably matched to the loudness of your speakers. The playback volume for the sub is handled thru the receiver.

My new Outlaw sub has only one single RCA input jack and next to it is a toggle switch labeled ''crossover active'' and ''bypass'', very nice!

RR6

Collapse -
Awsome
by chrisss72 / November 2, 2006 9:42 AM PST

Thanks for the input. Awsome.

Collapse -
SPEAKERS THRU SUB SOUNDS CRAZY
by stewart norrie / November 2, 2006 4:17 AM PST

SIMPLE SUBWOFFER OUTPUT ON THE AMP TO SUB INPUT USING R.C.A. CABLE why would you want to do it that way steweeee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.