Computer Help forum

General discussion

running partition magic from a usb stick

by mko / April 10, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

is there any way to run something like partition magic from a usb stick?

my laptop doesn't have an optical drive and i don't want to buy a usb optical drive simply to use partition magic.

or is there another way to partition the C on my laptop?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: running partition magic from a usb stick
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: running partition magic from a usb stick
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
to be more specific
by mko / April 10, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

i have a standard asus eee 901, 20gb ssd, xp home. it has 13 gb of free space. it has no optical drive.

i want to partition the ssd, so i can dual boot into either xandros or ubuntu or play around with other linux distros.

Collapse -
Just a thought . . .
by Coryphaeus / April 10, 2009 11:35 PM PDT

Partitioning can have dire consequences. Without an optical drive, and in case of a catastrophic failure, what is your backup plan? Also in that case, how would you reinstall your system?

I don't know if the program can be run from a USB stick, but I think you need to look at the above and give it some thought. If you're needing extra storage and want to partition for that reason, just get an external hard drive.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
Daylight Savings Time - "Only white man would believe you could cut off top of blanket, sew it to bottom of blanket, and have longer blanket."

Collapse -
Don't go there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2009 11:41 PM PDT

Without the restore capability why not just run those directly from the USB stick? I know for a fact I can do this with Ubuntu.

Collapse -
good thought,,,and a question
by mko / April 11, 2009 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't go there.

the asus has an sd slot.

the asus also comes with a recovery disc(but it requires an optical drive of course),,,and the asus is brand new so there's no data to save.

curious question...which is faster, the ssd on the asus or the sd card?

Collapse -
Benchmark and find out!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2009 2:30 AM PDT

We'll all want to know how you faired.

However I rarely find machines that can boot from SD slots. It will happen someday. For now I just boot my DSL and Ubuntu off a USB stick.

Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2009 7:54 AM PDT

Since we can get Linux for free, why would I give them any money?

Collapse -
just sayin',,,,,
by mko / April 11, 2009 11:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Just wondering.

this feller has a bootable sd linux.

Collapse -
And so do I.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 11, 2009 12:39 PM PDT
In reply to: just sayin',,,,,

I used Ubuntu and DSL and they can make such things. There are even discussions about how to in forums about such. But I see no reason to pay others for what I can do for free.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.