Storage

General discussion

Running out of space on C:\ drive

by marketa.presto / July 17, 2008 10:46 PM PDT

Good morning,

I've recently downgraded to win XP (using my notebook) and kept the c:\ drive to as little as 11 G. Well, I am finding out that's not enough. Before I cheer up and try the Partition Magic to increase the space and back up the system... I might uninstall the Framework (I've actually installed v. 2.0, which I need to ensure that all the applications run properly, and v.3.0, which I virtually don't need). I am just worried that if I just uninstall the 3.0, some applications will stop working.

What are the consequences if I just risk it? Might I have to install any of the drivers anew? In this case, I wouldn't do that - it took me whole week to get the laptop working...

Thank you for your advice,

Marketa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running out of space on C:\ drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running out of space on C:\ drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can safely uninstall ...
by Kees Bakker / July 17, 2008 10:53 PM PDT

.Net framework 3.0, but it will only help for a very short time. Things like Windows update and necessary files in your profile will use that space up quickly. I'd change it to 20-30 Gb, which should last a few years.

Kees

Collapse -
Out of space on C because someone formatted 95% for my D!
by mcosulli / July 18, 2008 1:39 AM PDT

I have a problem. When my computer was originally set up, it was somehow formatted with 5% for the C drive and the other 95% for the D drive. How can I format more space for C (if possible) without losing anything on the hard drive? What can I store on D if I cannot reformat without losing my info on C? How can I store on D?

I was considering the purchase of an external hard drive however my program files are the space eaters and I understand you cannot store those on anything but the C drive.

Someone please help!

Collapse -
Re: out of space on c:
by Kees Bakker / July 18, 2008 3:04 AM PDT

A good solution: buy Partition Magic and use it to combine those 2 partitions into one. Problem solved.

Your understanding about location of programs, generally, is wrong. You can install them just as well on your d:-drive, by just telling the setup program to use that. And you can move your My Documents to the d:-drive. And you can create and use practically any other folder there (except Windows).

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by mcosulli / July 18, 2008 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: out of space on c:

Thanks for letting me know. I guess the tech person I talked to knows less about computers than I do...

Happy

Collapse -
What to do when you have Vista
by ciagrad90 / July 18, 2008 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I have the same problem. My computer came with only 29 MB for my C: drive and the other 431 MB on a D: drive. C: drive which has windows is full and I keep getting a pesky little reminder of that. I would like to just make C: a little bigger so when I do get windows updates thats where they can go. Partition Magic does not work with Vista. I need a solution like partition magic that is vista complient.

Collapse -
Just links.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2008 12:25 PM PDT
Collapse -
repartitioning hd using vista
by steve faulkner / July 18, 2008 1:52 PM PDT

Vista has partitioning software preinstalled.

Collapse -
Partitioning on Vista
by Q&BB / July 19, 2008 8:06 AM PDT

I posted earlier without reading everything and missed the Vista question.

Acronis **** Director Suite 10 will apparently work on everything, including Vista 64-bit. We used it on XP and enlarged the "C" drive to 30 Gb, which should hold us. You won't lose anything - Your "C" drive is just enlarged from free space...

Acronis is also cheaper than Partition Magic...

Bert

Collapse -
You could also
by VAPCMD / July 18, 2008 12:43 PM PDT

buy Partition Magic or Disk Director and shrink D and expand C to fill the space abandoned by D. I prefer this method because it separates the OS and the APPS and the DATA ...which I put on D:.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Drive with no space left
by Q&BB / July 19, 2008 7:02 AM PDT

We had the same problem - Sony did the same thing with a small "C" partition for the program files and a much larger "D" partition for data, etc.

Sony had the right idea, but thought too small!

We got Acronis **** Director Suite 10, and it worked very quickly and like a champ! We enlarged the "C" drive to 30 Gb, which should hold us. You won't lose anything - Your "C" drive is just enlarged from free space...

You can put your programs on other drives, if the installing program will let you, but it is very much cleaner to put the programs in one place and the data, etc, on another drive.

We are very happy with Acronis - and we just did this two days ago.

Collapse -
?program files only on C:?
by piggallette / July 19, 2008 11:38 PM PDT

Not so, I install programs on my drives other than C: all the time. "Program Files" folder on C: is the Windows default destination for porogram installations, but you are almost always given the option to "Browse..." and select a different destination. Used to be, automatic updates or driver updates or patches couldn't find a program if it was located in a non-default locatation, but that was long, long ago in the cyber universe. Now with modern coding, the update/install functions search for the programs files wherever they are located.

Collapse -
Yes...you can do that. The problem there is
by VAPCMD / July 20, 2008 1:08 AM PDT

no matter what you do ...part of the application files will be on C and the rest somewhere else. From a backup perspective, this makes things much more complicated than I want them. When I do a backup image of C, I want to know that's my OS and APPs ... not my OS and part of the apps or files that belong with different update versions.

How are you backing up ??

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Kees, thank you
by marketa.presto / July 18, 2008 9:57 PM PDT

Kees, thank you for your prompt reply. I had to leave the office unexpectedly yesterday, without any possibility to reply.

I'll try and do what you advise then.

Marketa

Collapse -
Resize Drive
by hendos4 / July 19, 2008 12:53 AM PDT

If you are running Xp: if you can remove stuff off D: Go to Control Panel/Computer Management/Disk Management & Delete D:.

The use Hirens Boot Cd, Partition Tools/Patition Resizer to increase the size of c to the drives capacity.

i have done this several Times without any problems, I hope this helps.

hendos4

Collapse -
free partition manager software
by easeus drw / July 20, 2008 7:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
The problem with EASEUS is this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 20, 2008 10:58 PM PDT

It's the only solution you post about. You are getting close to being put up for a ban over this.

Collapse -
here is a little help to free up some space
by mohamed_e56 / July 21, 2008 8:54 AM PDT

you can use disk clean up (it is realy good if you have NTFS disk system because it remove old compresed files and it is so big ) and you can use Disk Defragmenter it remove unimportant files and speed the system and uninstall unimportant files and i had the same problem c: had 100 mb free out of 10 gb but after that i had 2.72 gb out of 10 gb

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.