Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

running misconfig

by kiki63_1 / May 15, 2005 3:20 AM PDT

Help! I'm trying to run misconfig on my parent's pc. when I type in misconfig in the run box it says it can not find miconfig. I need to shut down start up programs that are bogging down their computer. How can I get to the start up another way?
Thanks,
Karen

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: running misconfig
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: running misconfig
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try here
by retired / May 15, 2005 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: running misconfig

C:\windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries and double click msconfig.exe

Collapse -
Um.............Karen.........
by PlatinumPPC / May 15, 2005 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Try here

You are typing msconfig, not misconfig....right? (stated as delicately as is allowed in text):)

Collapse -
misconfig
by kiki63_1 / May 15, 2005 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Try here

Thanks for your help.it got me right there!

Collapse -
Karen
by PlatinumPPC / May 15, 2005 3:33 AM PDT

The other thing you may want to consider is, if the programs are bogging down their system, and they're not needed, why not just remove them altogether. Another option is to remove them directly from the registry with a cool little tool like regseeker, a free program, very user friendly interface. Just google it. Also make sure there is no malware, (viruses, adware, spyware on the machine.) NOTE: Free programs to consider, Adaware SE, spybot search and destroy, spywareblaster - all three of these should be used and updated, Grisofts AVG antivirus - can be purchased full version, but can be used for free manually. Do several scans with all of these programs after updating them, remove unecessary programs, and do online scans at the Symantec site or Trend Micro Housecall, whatever. Good luck.

Collapse -
Awesome.....
by PlatinumPPC / May 15, 2005 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Karen

Well at least I helped someone today. Happy

Collapse -
running misconfig
by barrettlady / May 15, 2005 12:35 PM PDT

Karen, you are using the wrong thing, type msconfig, not misconfig

Collapse -
msconfig
by Themisive / May 15, 2005 10:34 PM PDT

Karen, here's a trick I use - it's safe it should't mess up your system.

Click on [Start}, [Search] then on [For Files or Folders], when slelect the last, you will get another screen, this time select [All Files and folders], in the box marked [All or part of the filename], enter msconfig.exe and start the search. After a moment this file will be found, ''C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\msconfig.exe'' right click on it and and choose the option [Send To] and in the list choose [Desktop (create shortcut)].

This will give you a shorcut to msconfig you can leave on your desktop and will take you stright there and you won't have to worry if you've got the spelling right!

Collapse -
(NT) you should type msconfig
by xzard / May 21, 2005 2:31 PM PDT
Collapse -
Another thing you can try.
by crazeebob2000 / May 21, 2005 3:19 PM PDT

go to start>run, and type services.msc and mash enter, you can start and stop things from there

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.