Laptops forum

General discussion

Running hot and shutting down randomly

by chf_2258 / May 6, 2010 11:43 AM PDT

HP G60-440US WIN7 Home 3GB RAM

I use MSE for security and Chrome

My Laptop has now shut down when on battery power 2x and then it will not start unless I disconnect & reconnect the battery. I just did this without even plugging it in and the battery still had 20% juice left. In addition, I have noticed it running very hot a few times but that has been, I think, because the CPU is addressing something and operating at 90-100%.

Also, I did a system restore after the first incident 3 days ago and it just happened again.

Any feedback?

Thanks, Chris

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running hot and shutting down randomly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running hot and shutting down randomly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2010 8:40 PM PDT

When the battery is at 20% then all bets are off. Yes I think someone could do a better job of explaining why but I'll just nod and write that I would not expect this to work. Let's see if anyone will write a longer explainer.

At 20% it is time to plug it in.

As to the CPU getting hot when it runs at 90 to 100 per cent, that's normal too. I suggest you find out what the machine is doing as when it is on battery power such high usage can drain the battery faster and cause early shutdowns.

Collapse -
by chf_2258 / May 7, 2010 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Sounds proper.

Thanks, and yes, 20% is close to "the edge" but until these two would run to about 12% then give me a warning and then in a couple of minutes it would "sleep" (unless, of course, I plugged it in). Now it is turning off and when I start it, instead of saying "system resume" it says "Windows wasn't shut down properly...etc...etc...". Also, I need to physically remove and re-install the battery for it to start again.

As for the CPU, I mentioned that in case that may have something to do with a battery malfunction. It just seems wicked hot sometimes.

Maybe that will better explain the situation.

Collapse -
I can explain why it used to run down to 12%.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery

Most laptops sold have pitiful 300 CYCLE BATTERIES. These age fast and as they age you see problems like yours. (Battery only, not the CPU 100%) Let's take their word it's only 300 good cycles. That means in daily use you pay about 30 cents per cycle.

The lesson many learn is to not use the battery unless there is no other choice.

The shut down improperly is the right message under these conditions.

Back to the CPU use. Given no more details such as what's running I suggest you post a HIJACKTHIS log at bleeping computer. Where is that? Read;forum-threads

As to hot. Today's laptops are mostly desktops in laptop form and not literally to be used on our laps!

Collapse -
Battery life
by chf_2258 / May 7, 2010 2:08 AM PDT

Thanks - that makes sense. I bought this bad boy last August but that battery has used a LOT of cycles. In the past, I think I just got lucky with other battery's i.e. kept them plugged in more often than not.

Thanks again, Chris

Collapse -
Batt. Life/Hot CPU
by wyrmzr / May 7, 2010 10:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Battery life

Laptops running warm tends to be fairly typical after just so long; they often build up dust that covers the vents, often this accumulation looks more like dryer lint than anything else. Naturally, that won't go through the fins on the heatsink, and it can cause the system to overheat if left unchecked.
You may be able to clear out quite a bit of dust from the system with some compressed air, but if you've had the system a while, and/or you've got pets, a dusty house, a work area that has who knows what in the air, then your best bet may be to remove the heatsink to clear out the dust that's jammed in it. Not always easy, but can save the system.
Assuming the system only shuts down like that when it's on battery power, and doesn't exhibit this behavior on A/C power, then the two issues are most likely not linked. However, if the system shuts down whether on battery or not, then the system could be shutting down due to an overheat issue. The fix for that is the same thing; try and clean out the vents/ducts on the system as well as possible.

Collapse -
Laptop running hot
by suttondm / May 7, 2010 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Batt. Life/Hot CPU

In my experience, my laptop runs hot if it is placed on a cushion-type surface. This blocks the air vents under the machine. If I use the laptop on a cooling fan device, it never gets overheated. I now use a SwissGear cooling fan under my laptop and everything runs great!

Collapse -
by chf_2258 / May 7, 2010 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop running hot

That is very helpful and a) I will clean it out and b) the heat is happening, I think, when it is on my lap, bed, that makes sense.

Thanks again, Chris

Collapse -
by johnn1949 / May 7, 2010 2:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

I cut a piece of 1/4" pegboard slightly larger than the laptop and set the laptop on it all the time. If I lay it on the bed or carpet I'm safe. On my lap it's even better because most of the holes are open, and it insulates my lap from the heat also. And it's cheap

Collapse -
Laptop overheating regularly
by MarkinTO / May 7, 2010 1:39 PM PDT

HP & Compaq's regularly overheat. The problem can lie in the design of the air-flow in the particular machine. DO NOT try to blow dust/lint/etc through these pathways, rather try to vacumme it out of both the intake and exhaust vents.

Many laptops have a "Pathway" designed into them for air flow to cool the CPU, Video Processor and power-regulators. This can become full of lint/etc, as well as regulators becoming covered in lint/debris.

Further, many had insufficiant or improperly applied thermal heat-sink compounds applied on both CPU/Video chips during manufacture.

This leads to pre-mature shut-down and the death of many hard-drives and supporting electronics. In which case, you need a tech to properly clean out the paths and clean and replace the thermal compounds. In most cases, this will result in a better operating laptop, than even when you bought it!

Don't attempt to disassemble your own laptop, if your not fully aware of how these jig-saw puzzles are put together. Typically, every single part, in some way supports another, so a simple mistake can kill off your machine.

Using a compressed air-can (most have other chemicals in them too) will only force more crap into the worst possible spot!

Collapse -
Latop overheat
by Gallowaylady / May 7, 2010 6:55 PM PDT

Hi. I picked this thread up from my emails. My admittedly elderly laptop (6 years) gets very hot and after reading this I picked it up and looked underneath (probably for the first time in years) and went EEEEWWWW! at the dust in the vents. Thanks for this - I shall give it a hoover and hope things improve. I also get a very slow running response but I do know my battery is coming to the end of its life. I must say I think that 6 years is a good length of life for it. I have a Dell Inspiron 6000.

Collapse -
Running hot and shutting down randomly
by Planet Benner / May 7, 2010 8:03 PM PDT

I have a Compaq laptop and a while back there was a battery recall by HP as some were overheating. Might be an idea to go to the website and see if your particular model/type is faulty.

Collapse -
Running Hot and shutting down randomly
by michelsmith / October 4, 2011 7:59 PM PDT

Perhaps your laptop is overheating:You may need to clean all the vents especially the fan vents with an air duster (can of compressed air).It is possible that your fan(s) has failed or is running slow - they might need replacing.Also make sure you operate your laptop on a solid surface so that air can freely circulate under and around it.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.