PC Applications forum

General discussion

Running an app on one PC that's stored on another on network

by jamie.p.walsh / July 18, 2005 11:39 PM PDT

Describe what happens. Take MS Word for instance since there are licenses involved.

To me, it seems as though we are using this application with the same license. My question is, this is not the same as running it remotely right? It is actually being loaded onto my PC's cache and memory. The performance is determined by my machine's configuration, right?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Running an app on one PC that's stored on another on network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Running an app on one PC that's stored on another on network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens? It doesn't run.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2005 11:53 PM PDT

Here's why. In 1995, Microsoft issued a new Windows with concepts such as the registry and shared DLLs. These items are why you can't run most apps without installing.

However since you mention Word, why not move up to Open Office which you can install on all machines and is file and format compatible?

We did that and saved the company a pile of cash.

Bob

Collapse -
I was using Word as an example.
by jamie.p.walsh / July 19, 2005 12:18 AM PDT

we use Anchor/Mirus postal software and they have it set up this way. My machine has the drive mapped that the software sits on. I just can't figure out why it is set up this way.

Collapse -
Was there a new question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 12:21 AM PDT

If so, it eluded me.

Bob

Collapse -
not really
by jamie.p.walsh / July 19, 2005 12:30 AM PDT

i never really got an answer to my first. The software package does indeed run this way. I realize that it sits on a mapped drive. However, all 5 of the users are set up this way and all pointing to the same installation. Each having registry from this software package. We also must use an administrative module that came with it to type in the monthly key. However, it is the same key for all 5 of us. I've never seen this done before. So I was posing this scenario out to someone who may be able to enlighten me on a similar situation like this.

Collapse -
The answer is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2005 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: not really

Some software is designed to run off a network share. Your (Word) example was one that is not.

Hope this clarifies this issue for you.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.