Computer Help forum

General discussion

Rundll Error Message on Vista Startup

by Maurice Bowers / April 26, 2008 1:05 PM PDT

I was hoping someone could help me stop an annoying error message I receive on every startup. I get a Rundll error message stating "Error loading "C:\Windows\System32\pmoLfgh.dll" and then that this is a missing file.

I tried to research this "pmoLfgh.dll" but found not one hit. The message started after my spyware program discovered "virtumonde", which displays pop-up ads. Apparently, it can create a random name which is why I found no reference to this 'pmoLfgh.dll'. In removing the spyware, a message came up that it was removing "pmoLfgh.dll", the exact file that start-up tries to find and then gives an error message.

I've run my spyware program, Spy Sweeper, over half a dozen times, and a couple different anti-virus programs (Nortons and the new AVG) perhaps a half dozen times through a full scan as well. I've also run Spy Doctor just to confirm nothing was found and ran CCcleaner to remove any broken links and dlls. Prior, according to my firewall "virtumonde" would completely hoard my internet connection not allowing my browser to operate, but now my internet connection works fine and my firewall demonstrates no further incidents. Still, I get the error message on startup that I just want gone.

I sent a message to my spyware program since it was the one that removed this pmoLfgh.dll file, which it identified as spyware, but I haven't received any response.

Does anyone know how I can cease this error message on startup? I would be extremely grateful.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rundll Error Message on Vista Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rundll Error Message on Vista Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
To finish this off I use...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 1:17 PM PDT

HIJACKTHIS. Find that entry with hijackthis and remove it.

Collapse -
temp solution maybe
by satish_997 / April 26, 2008 1:53 PM PDT

I had a couple rundll error messages that would come up every time I booted up my XP laptop. After scanning with various programs and not finding anything, like you, I just used msconfig to find it in the startup tab, or maybe it was services tab, and told it to stop. Now, the messages don't come up anymore.

: |

probably not the best way but it worked

Collapse -
by Maurice Bowers / April 27, 2008 2:33 PM PDT

Thanks guys! As suggested I first blocked this 'pmnoLfgh.dll' from msconfig and I didn't get that annoying error message on start up ("The specified value could not be found"). I dipped into neurosis, however, knowing that even though I didn't get the error message, it didn't mean it wasn't still there in the registry.

Thus, I did get Hijack-this and ran a start up scan of my registry (I first had to undo what I did in msconfig to allow this dll to run so Hijack-this could catch it). I actually thought of using the program before posting here in the forum but was nervous that the program would be too complicated, difficult and too easy to make a BIG mistake in my registry.

Still, it was really easy to find the registry entry (MSServer having rundll32.exe try to load this pmoLfgh.dll that was deleted by my Antispyware program during a sweep but persisted in the start up registry) and subsequently delete it.

NO problems at all now on start up and I'm sure I'll use Hijack-this in the future as well. I really enjoy the control it gives you (as long as your careful) . . . plus, I like that the icon reminds me of "Where in the World is Carmen Santiago?" from my childhood days!

Thanks again both of you for your help, patience, and consideration!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.