Windows 8 forum

Question

Rumor: Windows 8.1 will allow boot to desktop mode.

by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 12:57 AM PDT
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rumor: Windows 8.1 will allow boot to desktop mode.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rumor: Windows 8.1 will allow boot to desktop mode.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What a delightful post re Windows 8.1, Bob
by wpgwpg / April 18, 2013 1:09 AM PDT

Bob, I couldn't agree more. If MS does allow boot to the desktop, it might make me change my opinion that they've completely lost touch with reality. Maybe I could say the Metro UI is about as useful as leprosy!

Collapse -
Thanks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

I have my first Windows 8 Metro question coming up and look forward to help with that. If MSFT does this, it could correct the one big beef with 8 (from folk in the circles I run.)
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Hate to be a mpoarty Pooper, but....
by Tiger6_5 / April 18, 2013 11:40 AM PDT

From Neowin:

Since the release of Windows 8, many users have been asking for Microsoft to let them boot directly to the desktop, instead of the new Start screen. The feature, which is quite trivial in the grand scheme of things, has yet to arrive for the platform and Microsoft has been quiet about the request.

Over the past few days, evidence and even a few sources, were chiming in about the feature claiming that Microsoft is working towards giving the consumer the option to bypass the Start screen upon boot. But, it looks like the previous string that highlighted this feature may not be as conclusive as previously thought.

A user on the My Digital Life forums is stating that the string that gave many users hope is actually tied to Kiosk mode for Windows 8 and does not actually bypass the Start screen.

twinui-CanSuppressStartScreen is related to a "kiosk mode" and I didn't find any other feature that it controls, at least in this early build. You'll have to set twinui-CanSuppressStartScreen to 1 in the ProductPolicies key (via ProductPolicyEditor from wsservice_crack) and create a DWORD key "KioskMode" in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Exp lorer\StartMenu with value 1. Any user without admin rights then gets a blank screen instead of the start screen (it does not switch to desktop automatically, you can start any desktop or store app with the search charm though).

Provided the above information is correct, it looks like the solid evidence may not be as conclusive as previously indicated. We only have this small bit of information to go on for now but Microsoft is expected to release a public preview of the platform in June which will clear up any confusion.

For now, it's all a rumor at this point and take any leaked information with a pinch of salt as anything could change before the release of the platform.

Richard

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 8 Experience
by huzedat / April 19, 2013 11:49 PM PDT

Those people who have actually tried Windows 8 on a desktop seem to fall into three basic groups.

Those who tried it and didn't like it for whatever reason, and returned to Windows 7. Some may try the next version if it includes the option to boot directly to the Desktop and has a Start Button. Others didn't really want to leave Windows 7 in the first place.

Those who installed a third-party utility to turn it into an enhanced Windows 7. These people, like you, would be happy for the option to boot directly to the Desktop and have the Start Button - provided it didn't just go to the current Start Page. The question is, would they be willing to pay for it.

Those who (like me), with a little research, made the UI work for them. We really don't care if the option is there or not.

What we must realize is that we desktop users are becoming a minority (percentage wise). The growing majority is the mobile set. People whose job requires mobility (on-the-spot reporters/reviewers, salesmen, paramedics, and others) don't need a desktop, or even a notebook. Smaller hand-held devices are getting more powerful and have greater battery life, which makes them more suitable for work in the field. Their users really don't care about the Desktop and Start Button. So, realistically, how big of a market is there for returning these features? I mean in terms of percentage and money.

On the other hand, I can see MS complying with your request. After all they provide backward compatibility for hardware and software, so why not users?

Collapse -
A better question
by wpgwpg / April 20, 2013 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 8 Experience

A better question is why alienate millions of current desktop & laptop users when they don't have to and it obviously costs little or nothing since Windows 8 is based on Windows 7, Classic Start gives us the Start button and associated things for FREE, and Start8 does it for $5. It's true that more and more people are moving to tablets and smart phones, but there're still many millions using desktops and laptops. I teach at a local senior center and it's hard enough to get across the basics of Windows that everyone has learned over the last 18 years without making everyone reinvent the wheel. If they buy a new PC that only a rare few people can help them with, what is the logic to that? I understand MS' motives, but it seems totally illogical to me.

Collapse -
Lay the blame
by huzedat / April 20, 2013 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: A better question

I don't think it was so much MS that alienated the PC users. It was more the FUD and "I'm going to hate Windows 8" smear campaign that began well before the first Beta release. Even though most of the FUD has been debunked, people are still insisting that Windows 8 needs a touch screen and won't work with a standard monitor/keyboard/mouse configuration.

All the OS developers have been moving to a uniform OS across all devices; mobile and PC. Microsoft's big mistake was jumping too far ahead. I won't even try to understand why they didn't listen to the Beta testers and include the option to boot to the Desktop. As for the Start Button, all of the computers I've seen used by non-computer savvy users, what I've heard from others who've reported their experiences, and what I read from computer repair shops, about the only thing these people used the Start Button for was to shut down the computer. Their beautiful wallpaper was coated with shortcuts to programs and documents. So the only problem of not having the Start Button for these people is learning how to get the shutdown command.

Helping non-tech users in a corporate environment is fairly easy, but takes more effort for IT to prepare. Unfortunately, that is not the case for non-tech individual users; as in your case. About the only real help you can provide is to show how to click on the Desktop button to be in more familiar territory. (It's best to leave that one in Live mode so it looks like their desktop for easy identification.)

As I said above, maybe Microsoft will add some backward compatibility for their non-tech PC users. That would definitely increase sales of the next version.

Collapse -
Answer
This free program wil do it
by kjeldc / April 20, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
I have a beef with iobit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

It's cleaner apps have created trouble so when I see an iobit app, it's not something I'd use.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
windows 8
by sixsigmatv / April 20, 2013 1:19 AM PDT

I think its just a rumor.

Collapse -
Either way is OK with me as........
by Tiger6_5 / April 20, 2013 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: windows 8

I am probably switching to Linux! More secure and more stable and more important no Microsoft.

Richard

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

Collapse -
PS
by Tiger6_5 / April 20, 2013 2:06 AM PDT

I am not getting any notification of any new post any where in the forums

Collapse -
(NT) Takes time. Far from instant.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2013 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: PS
Collapse -
Why?
by huzedat / April 20, 2013 9:19 AM PDT

This is not meant as a put-down. It's just something I can't seem to grasp.

Why would someone learn a new OS and probably have to get all new programs and learn them, just to keep from learning a new UI and continue using what they have? Especially programs they probably bought.

I can understand the frustration and even the driving force behind the decision. What I don't understand is the logic in it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.