Camcorders forum

Question

Rugged camcorder under 1,000

by twistedelmo / April 13, 2013 9:46 AM PDT

I am new to the camcorder/camera world. I own an old water/shockproof camera that served its purpose for life's little moments. However, next year a friend and I will be taking an approximately month long hiking trip along the continental divide trail. I am looking to stay under $1,000 but I want something that will capture sound and grasp as much of the scenic beauty as possible through the Rocky Mountains. I'm also worried about durability as there may be rain and general moisture. battery life is also a concern but I will have my solar panel charger with me and planned on 3/4 batteries anyway. Also I wanted one that took quality stills.

The only "rugged" cameras I have found so far are either action cams or pocket cams that really seem to lack functionality and quality. I'm getting overwhelmed with all the gadgetry and numbers/lingo. I don't want a camera that I need a degree to operate. I don't know if I am expecting to much for to little but I do know that I need some advice from someone with more knowledge than I have.

Thank you very much for your time and help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rugged camcorder under 1,000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rugged camcorder under 1,000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Panasonic SDR-SW21 Flash Memory Underwater & Sports Camcorde
by Terfyn / April 13, 2013 7:28 PM PDT

This may be one to look at. $289 on Amazon

(I am a Panasonic fan - so may be biased!)

Collapse -
Thank you
by twistedelmo / April 15, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

I did check out the sanyo (owned by panasonic as I understand) vpc-ca102yl, which seems to be the closest to what I am looking for, but it has mixed reviews. So I am still holding off until further information, thank you for you're reply though, I am looking for a little better quality in the video/stills than the sdr.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.