Computer Help forum

General discussion

Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0 Platinum Edition

by lethal57 / November 7, 2008 4:12 PM PST

Hi,

This is a weird one, but I would appreciate any advice.

I often use Nero 8 for Audio and Video management on my PC, and generally find it fine.
Recently I found Nero was closing inadvertently when attempting to convert one of a number of recently acquired 'avi' files. This does not happen to all avi files I have, not even with those from the same source.. Nero are looking at this via upload to 'rapidshare' and prior advice and data collection by them.
However, I had heard often the Roxio was great at doing this...so I bought this as well.
Thats the background.

Upon installing it, (also after removing Nero) I found that it didnt run (it froze) and had some other strange impact on my PC.
Believe it or not it renamed partitioned files on my hard disk!

I reinstalled it a couple of times and each time had the same result.

I have no idea why or how it could be doing this, or why it is freezing.

I am running Win XP home, with an Intel core2 duo 2.33ghz processor, 2.0gb of ram, and an nvidia 8600gt

I look forward to any advice or further clarification.

regards

Lethal57

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0 Platinum Edition
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6.0 Platinum Edition
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, lets start with
by lacsr / November 7, 2008 7:48 PM PST

Are you sure it is Roxio 6.0? The version numbers are up to 10.0 for the version and the newest is called Creator 2009. Now, be that maybe you just made a mistake on the version, take a look here for any advice on what may be happening:
http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?s=d35dbc55972cefe1b70a719dcd1d24c8&showforum=82
I have seen some posts at the above site that mention problems with install.
BTW: you might want to run the clean uninstall for Nero found here:
http://www.nero.com/enu/support-downloads.html
under the Tools and Utilities section before trying to get Roxio to install again.

Collapse -
Roxio
by lethal57 / November 7, 2008 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: Well, lets start with

Hi Thanks for the response.

I will indeed have a look at the links/advice.

It is indeed Roxio 6. I didnt say I bought it new, or indeed the latest version....I trust that may doesnt alter the advice?

regards

Lethal57

Collapse -
Have You Installed All The Updates For Roxio 6?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Roxio
Collapse -
OK, sorry
by lacsr / November 9, 2008 7:59 PM PST
In reply to: Roxio

If the Nero clean tool did not fix the Roxio install, I would try one of the trial installs of a newer version to see if they work OK. It could be that Roxio 6 is having a conflict with another program, also. If you really want to use Roxio 6.0, maybe try it on another computer or start with a clean machine. I have not seen any reports of Roxio 6.0 causing the partition changes, however.

Collapse -
Also saw on the Roxio site
by lacsr / November 9, 2008 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: OK, sorry

The particular post was saying that Roxio 7.0 would not run if Explorer 7 was on the machine. Could it be that? If you have Explorer 7.0 installed, you may need a newer version of Roxio.

Collapse -
Roxio 6
by lethal57 / November 10, 2008 5:08 PM PST

Thanks for the responses folks.

It'll take some time to work thru, but I will come back with the results, and yes, I do run IE 7.

regards

Lethal57

Collapse -
Roxio 6 issues
by lethal57 / November 15, 2008 5:15 PM PST
In reply to: Roxio 6

Hi Folks,

As suggested.

I uninstalled Nero, used the clean tool, downloaded all the roxio updates, reinstalled Roxio (same problem), added the updates (no change).

Nero at least doesnt interfere with my partitions, though I have been waiting months (yes months) for resolution of the issue I originally went to Roxio for....they do update clients every week or so.

My source of this version of Roxio also uses IE7 without issue...must be something else I have, or are doing (?)

I cannot find any later trial versions on the Roxio site.

Finally I find it 'strange' that Roxio does NOT have an uninstall file.

One thing I have noticed, is that to recover my partitions via system restore...all my external HDD need to be turned on?

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

regards

Lethal57

Collapse -
Have You Also Installed The Fix From?...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: Roxio 6 issues

...the link below? It's an engine update which isn't part of the normal Roxio 6 updates and although it primarily fixes "No recorder found" issues", it may also help with other drive disappearing acts. And Yes, despite the compatible software titles listed on the page, it should be backward compatible to Roxio 6. .. :

http://kb.roxio.com/content//kb/General%20Information/000070GN

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.