Networking & Wireless forum

Routers: Cisco Linksys EA6500 vs. Netgear R6300

by JoeRev / February 24, 2013 12:39 AM PST

I want to know what is best for me, and my family. generally we have three people on the wifi at once, being online research, socializing (skype, ect.), and gaming. I want the best for everyone, and Ive had a Netgear router and still do, but its like wearing out. Its off and on functioning. I havent had a linksys so I have no base for those. We have windows8 and windows7 and an apple iPad on at once, generally. Im not sure if these routers are windows8 compatible.. So whats best for me?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Routers: Cisco Linksys EA6500 vs. Netgear R6300
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Routers: Cisco Linksys EA6500 vs. Netgear R6300
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2013 1:02 AM PST

If there is an issue with Windows 8 and routers this would be a first. Here's the thing. All the networking is done with IP networking and for WiFi other standards that have nothing to do with the OS in question. The OS must only talk the protocol and we're done.

Because of this, that's probably why some folk can't answer your question about Windows 8.

Collapse -
Netgear Routers
by Joseam22 / March 9, 2013 4:23 AM PST

I have had a Netgear R6300 for about a year now. There have been 8 to 10 devices attached at one given time with no lapse or drops in performance. I use a setting that will not allow other devices attach without permission. The band I use is on a 5ghz frequency which has less traffic and no wireless overlap. I also have the advantage of being close to my provider within the coverage area. If you router allows for the 2.4ghz and 5ghz selection, you may want to opt for the 5ghz less traffic setting. Also make sure your firmware is up to date. Netgear has a windows 8 beta driver you may want to get for the windows 8 OS. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: Netgear Routers

What if I'm in some WiFi hot spot? Do we need drivers for the router used there?

Collapse -
Drivers and Hotspots
by Joseam22 / March 9, 2013 3:14 PM PST
In reply to: Odd.

Any hardware if not recognized by the OS requires a driver. A driver is just a handler for the OS in identifying a particular hardware you want to attach to your PC. It has nothing to do with a hotspot. A provider asigns hotspots so you can access their services beyond your home connection. Think of a hotspot as a relay station keeping you going from one point to another.

Collapse -
Please clarify why we need a driver for this router.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2013 3:34 PM PST
In reply to: Drivers and Hotspots

I have not installed a driver for a router yet. Is there something different about this router?

Sounds like a model to avoid?

Collapse -
R6300 Firmware
by Joseam22 / March 10, 2013 4:57 AM PDT

I never mentioned you needed a driver for a router. However, it is my understanding, like most other external hardware, such as DVD drives and firewire, firmware is needed for the external hardware to communicate with or without the presence of a PC or OS. In the case of a router, firware supports the presence of the communication between a service providers protocol and the hardware itself. It branches the communication of the of the provider which then allows the hardware (router) to open a communication link to the internet. Think of the router as a doorway to your destination. Other hardware, such as a modem, play an important part in address handling which enables the router to open the correct door.
The R6300 was the first router to offer stated speeds above 1700 mbps (450+1300) and a connection for the proposed new draft for the next generation of WiFi which will be IEEE 802.11 a/n/ac @ 5GHz as well as the current IEEE 802.11 b/g/n @ 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz. For me, it has a proven trac record for handling multiple devices regardless of the OS. Also, there is no problem with connecting to a wireless adapter or TV on another floor or any other part of the house. I hope this helps somewhat!

Collapse -
Ahh, firmware is one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 10, 2013 5:20 AM PDT
In reply to: R6300 Firmware

But above I can read this:

"Netgear has a windows 8 beta driver you may want to get for the windows 8 OS."

I read that and wanted to clarify that statement. It's OK if that was in error but once in a while I encounter folk that think a driver is needed to use a specific router.

I hope we never see that.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.