Networking & Wireless forum

Router to Set Time Limits for Internet Use

by vja4Him_57 / January 11, 2012 5:26 AM PST

I need to find a good Router that will allow me to set a time limit for certain MAC Addresses for three teenagers (each with a different MAC Address.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router to Set Time Limits for Internet Use
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router to Set Time Limits for Internet Use
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Sorry, never found one to do that. Will this do?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 5:34 AM PST
Collapse -
May be I am wrong
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 5:41 AM PST

based on Bob's reply, but I thought all new routers had this option nowadays.

My Netgear router WNR2000 allows "Block Services" as follows;

"Block Services allows you to block Internet Access by specific users on your local network based on their IP address. For example, you can prevent the use of certain Internet services such as surfing the web (http) to everyone or just a few people on your network. Service Blocking can be configured to be on Never, on Per Schedule, or on Always".

I wonder if the difference in opinion is because you specified MAC addresses, and not IP addresses. I know little to nothing about MAC addresses.

Collapse -
The problem with MAC addresses is we can change that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: May be I am wrong

I don't want to help folk find such software but if I use a little app I can be any MAC address I feel like being.

The OpenDNS solution is a bit better.

Collapse -
OpenDNS Solution?
by vja4Him_57 / January 11, 2012 8:01 AM PST

What is the OpenDNS solution?

Collapse -
See the supplied link above.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2012 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: OpenDNS Solution?

While I can answer a few questions, please use the supplied link above first.

Collapse -
Open DNS ...
by vja4Him_57 / January 11, 2012 10:52 AM PST

I don't have a NetGear Router .... I'll see if my Router has the Open DNS settings somewhere .....

Collapse -
Bypass of opendns
by bill012 / January 11, 2012 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Open DNS ...

All depends how good of hackers your kids are... or how good they search with google.

When you cannot control what your kids change on the end devices they can get by most anything. First you must go search these sites and learn how the bypass of opendns is done. They key easy one to fix you need to understand so you can add a firewall setting... the others you cannot do much about just hope they are too painful for the kids to implement.

For a simple case like yours where you just want a time restriction and don't care to filter content the simple way is to setup a separate wireless router for them and use a timer to turn the router on and off.
Not that most kids don't already know that they can connect to the neighbors open wireless.

There are not good solutions that can be implemented by home users. There are solution that can be implemented for cheap/free using software on a unix machine but take a lot of detailed knowledge of how things like proxy,firewall,IDS etc etc work.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.