Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Router Internet Traffic Capture

by isoclass69 / April 25, 2010 4:24 PM PDT

Is there a way to capture and log internet traffic passing through my home wireless router?? I have done extensive research and it seems so very complicated!! ... I am looking to try to view internet traffic (websites visited, usernames, passwords, chat conversations,etc.) from an ipod touch wirelessly connected to the internet through my linksys router hardwired to cable modem and home desktop. Here is my current home network config.:

-Famly Desktop with additional external hard drive, hardwired to
cable modem and linksys wireless router

wirelessly connected:

-Toshiba laptop
-Apple Macbook Laptop
-Ipod touch (My Teenage Daughter ... she has had internet usage issues in the past, and I am afraid she has recently not been exactly upfront ... I would like to confirm specifics before I accuse and take it away) ... and,
-Xbox 360

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have really been struggling with this.

Thank You.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router Internet Traffic Capture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router Internet Traffic Capture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
packet capture
by bill012 / April 25, 2010 10:32 PM PDT

Although it is possible to capture wireless and decode it if you know the keys it tends to take expert level knowledge on a couple of things.

Depending on which linksys you have you should be able to see some kind of logging. Many have firewalls which can be set to permit all traffic but log it. This does not actually log the traffic itself only the ip and ports so it is still takes some work to dig though it. It will not show you the actual content of chat. Although limited this is your cheapest option. There are routers that have firewalls that can filter content to a point.

Your next option is to attempt to capture between the router and the modem. Since this is a ethernet connection it is much simpler than wireless. The easy part is the software. Download a free software called "wireshark". Although free it is much more advanced than many of the commercial product. The hard part is tapping into the wire.

There are devices available called taps that do exactly that. Not real cheap since they are sold to the business market. Another option is to use a switch that has the ability to send copies of all traffic to another port. This feature is called port mirroring or port monitoring depending on the vendor. The cheap $20 consumer switches cannot do this. Your cheapest method is to buy a old commercial switch ie cisco,hp . Even stuff 10 years old had this feature.

Still many software will encrypt the traffic to prevent you from seeing what is sent. There is little difference from intercepting the traffic while it is still in your house to any other place in the path.

Your best bet is to control it on the device itself before it is sent but with apple stuff you are limited on your choices.

Collapse -
Packet capture reply
by atib31 / April 2, 2012 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: packet capture

Bill really hits it right. This is complicated and or expensive.

There is software that can be loaded on an itouch that can record this information. A simple reset of the device and it's gone though.

I would think there must be some router maybe a little more expensive that should be able to do this. I have not found it yet.

I have tried, IMmonitor and Ming Chat spy which say they are supposed to work but both failed to capture the traffic.

Please post if anyone has any luck with software like the two listed above.

Collapse -
traffic monitoring for ipod
by dougt13 / November 28, 2011 8:28 PM PST

Wow! I have the exact same problem. Please let me know what was the best way to capture this data. If you were able to, of course. Thanks.

Collapse -
capture web traffic from iPod to debug
by rockbala / January 5, 2012 1:09 AM PST

I need the exact same information as well to see what activities are going on.

Collapse -
Ipod Traffic Monitoring
by msl1148 / September 7, 2012 1:58 AM PDT

Hey there,
i went about it an easier way.
I went into my router and denied access for the ipod mac address.
This forced my daughter to use her computer which has the spy software on it, thus making it easy to watch what is going on.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.