Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Router for Acer Aspire One

by sharoxx80 / September 30, 2009 2:38 AM PDT

What do I need to set up my Acer Aspire One (AAO) for it to be wireless? Right now I am hard wired (ethernet) with a high speed cable router through Comcast. I want to be able to take my netbook around the house and not be hard wired.

Do I need a wireless card or do AAO's have them built in?

What type of router do I need?

Any recommendations for a brand?

Ballpark price on wireless routers?

How difficult is it to configure to my netbook to the router?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router for Acer Aspire One
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router for Acer Aspire One
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've used about a dozen routers with my Acer netbook.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2009 3:36 AM PDT

The Acer has wifi so we're done there. As to the Comcast, I have comcast but I hear some newer comcast installs have wifi. Does yours? If not, just about any wifi router you find at an office supply store, target and stores will do fine.

Collapse -
by sharoxx80 / October 1, 2009 2:18 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. My Comcast router does not have wifi, but I can call Comcast and ask if they can provide one that does or swap it out. So, how does the setup work with configuring the Acer with the router?
Since it has no place for a disk, only finger drives does it detect the router once the router signal is up and running and you have the option to connect to the network? I used a wireless router and my former ancient pc and it used an installation disk.

thanks again

Collapse -
Sorry I'm not comcast.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 3:00 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Their deals change weekly so only they can answer that.

"So, how does the setup work with configuring the Acer with the router?"

It works fine. But maybe you are asking how to set it up. I can't tell but the answer is "I followed the router setup instructions." Since no two routers are the same it would do no good to write how my router is setup.

In closing, I had no CD, finger drives involved during the setup. But then again I was following the directions for setup without such media. Some get confused over those router setup CDs. What needs to be said is no router made requires you to use that CD.

Collapse -
by sharoxx80 / October 1, 2009 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry I'm not comcast.

I am aware that you are not Comcast. That is not what I was asking. I thanked you for your help two times in my response, there is no need to be rude. I was not asking about their "deals" as you put it. I was simply stating that I can contact them to inquire about their wifi routers. Have a wonderful day!

Collapse -
Sorry about that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 4:07 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

I can't keep up with the comcast deals and don't know what they offer across the country today. I do know some places had it and having them set it up removes some work.

Sorry if you took that as rude. It's not intended to be.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.