Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Router distance, low signal

by jpruizs / November 14, 2005 9:25 AM PST

Hi!

I know this issue has been discussed a lot of times, but Im really confused now. I just bought a TRENDnet Router (TEW-432BRP) and a Wireless USB LAN Adapter (TRENDnet TEW424UB) for my Desktop. The router isn't very far from my desktop, like 15 or 20 meters max, but the signal is very poor.

There 2 rooms between the router and the PC (a bedroom and the kitchen). I unplugged the microwave oven, and the cordless phone too. The refrigerator is between too, but I dont think that can interfere.

Do you think that I should change my hardware?, or what should I buy to improve this connection?. A better antenna will help??

Thank you!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Router distance, low signal
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Router distance, low signal
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think you are at the working range limit....
by Michael Geist / November 15, 2005 9:23 AM PST

of this router and adapter. Try moving one closer to other as an experiment. If your signal strength increases you've found the answer. Solutions vary from do-it-yourself antenna boosters to WAP's and MIMO devices. See how it goes.

Collapse -
range...
by Dick White / November 16, 2005 12:06 AM PST

As Michael has suggested, you may be at the range limit for this particular pair of devices. How could that be, you might ask, if this is only 20-30 meters and the nominal standard range is around 100 meters. The nominal standard is based on clear line-of-sight. If the radio signal must penetrate anything denser than open air, the range is diminished. We joke about consumer WiFi being a "3-wall solution," meaning it will only penetrate a total of 3 normal walls (a ceiling is the same as a wall) going straight through the shortest thickness of the wall before disappearing. If a wall is thicker or denser (e.g., brick) than a normal 2x4 stud partition wall, or if the signal must penetrate at an angle which increases the effective thickness of the wall, the signal is diminished that much more. You said there are 2 rooms in the way. It may the walls that are causing more trouble than you might have first thought. Try moving the router and the adapter antenna to see if you can improve things.

dw

dw

Collapse -
Better antenna seams the only way out...
by Kutusov / November 17, 2005 10:13 PM PST

I have a similar problem, my router is in the floor below and two walls to the left of my descktop. The signal I get is poor and sometimes it just locks out of signal. I have to get down, unplug and replug the router for it to boot again and my XP autofix the link. There is no other way. My legs are starting to seam like Schwarzenneggers' in his Conan years. If you, like me, cant do a thing about the location of router/receiver, the only way out might be a better antenna. I?ve saw what I think are amplified antennas from Belkin, D-Link and such on a store here and on the amazon site. The thing is, they are more expensive than the PCI network board! Some 65

Collapse -
Better antenna seems the only way out
by david.kanareck / November 17, 2005 11:51 PM PST

I had a similar problem but have now solved it. I am using a D-Link DWL1000AP WAP and my wife's PC which is around 30m, two walls and a ceiling away, had a DWL120 USB adaptor. The adaptor put too much of a drain on the cpu, so I tried three different branded pci adaptors. Each failed either failing to establish a connection, or dropping it very fast. Finally, on D-Link's advise, I put in a DWL-510 PCI adaptor with a high gain screw-on antenna (DWL-50AT) and the average signal and connection strengths are 80-90%. Drop-out is *very* rare and when it happens, simply re-set WAP and router. I bought all the wireless equipment on E-Bay. D-Link have a very good reputation and I can see why.

Collapse -
An antenna - But where?
by phrubin / November 18, 2005 3:59 AM PST

I had the same problem when I first made my wireless network. Singnal strength from neighbors was better than my own. Then I bought an antenna on eBay. Don't remember the price, but it happens to be an Airlink 101 DIRECTIONAL antenna. This has taken me from cannot connect to always connects.

For what it's worth, I believe you get more bang for the buck putting the antenna on the PC rather than the router. Usually the antenna on the router is a short whip and sits (hopefully) where the whip is not near any metal along side it. (Below is good, side is bad). Can't say the same for the PC adapter. Its' antenna is usually right next to the rest of the card cage and you have no freedom to orient it for minimum disturbance from nearby metal.

Collapse -
Ok, that sounds right....
by Kutusov / November 18, 2005 9:12 AM PST

I was talking about a replacement antenna for de pci adapter but I know there are some that can be placed on your desk or whatever. Probably the best solution.

Collapse -
router
by ddbpack / November 20, 2005 7:11 AM PST

you are still to far apart! maybe attena booster? are some way to decrease the distance!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.