Storage

General discussion

Root Directory for flash drive?

by dford3772 / September 20, 2005 7:29 AM PDT

I'm using Windows XP and a 512 flash drive. I have downloaded John Haller's portable Firefox,Thunderbird,
and Sunbird. They work fine but Haller and PC mag in
their article on same recommend creating a root directory for the drive but do not tell how to do it.

Is anyone out there using portable apps who knows how to create a root (C?) directory for this drive? I've
just downloaded another portable app from Haller and
he talks about unzipping this file into the profile
of the earlier Firefox version. I know how to unzip files, how to delete on the flash drive but that is
the extent of my knowledge. I think the directory will
create a way to bring the drive up on my PC and will
make updates and changes possible----not sure. My
CompUSA drive does not require drivers.

How to make the directory? Do I really need one
and will it change anything about the portability of
the flash drive? I've Googled and can't find any answers. Please help.
Donna

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Root Directory for flash drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Root Directory for flash drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
\ is the root.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2005 10:26 AM PDT

It seems someone wrote something odd.

Bob

Collapse -
Flash Drive Help
by dford3772 / September 21, 2005 1:04 AM PDT
In reply to: \ is the root.

I think R. Profitt would do well to learn a little compassion for his fellow man. His brief reply gave no help. Perhaps it is my fault for not stating my problem correctly. On my own I found a link from
PC Magazine that explains WHAT I want to do but not HOW to do it.

Here is the link:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1846801,00.asp

Since my familiarity with Windows Explorer is limited
I would like some honest help with my problem. I like
learning new things and this flash drive is a new toy
I sincerely want to learn to work with.

Collapse -
Thanks for the link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2005 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash Drive Help
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1846801,00.asp on the first page doesn't mention this need to create a root entry.

Compassion has little to do with this discussion. If you want to discuss that, please note so and we'll go down that road.

-> In short, all drives we use already have a top or root directory. Your basic books on Windows, Dos should cover this in depth. If you need NEWBIE information, just ask for it in the Newbie Forum. You posted in a not-newbie forum so the shorter answers will come first to see if that suffices. From there we expand on the discussion. Some will expect long detailed answers but this will not happen since all replys are from volunteers. This is not tech support, but where we discuss the topic and dig into it and hopefully come away with some answers. If you want tech support....

--> "To do all this, create a text file named Autorun.inf in the drive's root directory, with contents something like this"

That's on the second page of the article. It did not ask you to create the root directory, but to place the items there. This is bashing words but we must be careful and read the sentance with care and double-so if we copy that elsewhere.

In closing, you have the root directory. It's the top or the one with just the backslash.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.