Speakeasy

Rant

Romney - Caymen Islands bad

by TONI H / February 13, 2013 8:18 PM PST

Jack Lew....not so much.

I really hope Hagel, Brennan, and Lew all get blocked.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Romney - Caymen Islands bad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Romney - Caymen Islands bad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your post is incomprehensible.
by Ziks511 / February 14, 2013 4:00 AM PST

And what do Hagel, Brennan and Lew have to do with it, or do they bank in the Cayman Islands too.

Rob

Collapse -
I just Googled Jack Lew.....
by Josh K / February 14, 2013 5:12 AM PST

......and found nothing connecting him with anything in the Cayman Islands.

So yes, Toni, when it came to Romney, "Cayman Islands bad."

Collapse -
So you are comparing him to Romney?
by Diana Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 2:37 AM PST

He maybe has $56,000 in the Caymen and took a $950,000 bonus. What I kept hearing was millions in both for most including Romney and makes his look like chump change.
I'm not saying any of it was proper (although the $56,000 doesn't seem a problem) and I do believe that none of the bailed out banks should have given out bonuses. Of course, how far down do you go down before stopping bonuses? I know that, working at bank as a contractor, most everyone in the bank got a bonus at the end of the year and considered it as a part of their income.
Diana

Collapse -
I don't think anybody is
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 7:35 AM PST

comparing dollars......the comparison comes when BO and the liberals decided to make Romney's account in the Cayman Islands a huge issue in the campaign, so why shouldn't it also be an issue for BO's nominee now? If it's bad for one, it should be bad for the other, shouldn't it?

Collapse -
True but it is it different
by Diana Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 7:46 AM PST

that hiring the hackers to protect your computer system?

Maybe he should hire Romney instead?

Diana

Collapse -
Not sure I understood your question
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 8:34 AM PST

the way it is worded........but if you are thinking that it's as bad as hiring a hacker to protect your computer system, isn't that pretty much what the CIA and FBI have been doing for years....who better to protect the system than someone who knows how to get around it? I don't particularly care that either Romney or Lew has accounts in the Caymans....I just oppose the hypocricy of it all. I don't like Lew because of his other decisions that blew apart the 'big deal' Romney and BO had a year ago and because of other decisions he's made that pose a conflict of interest regarding his personal life decisions and the appointment itself decisions. I thought Geithner was bad...this guy is much worse.

Collapse -
I was just saying that the best person to
by Diana Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 10:20 AM PST

protect your system is the one who can break into it and game it.

I used to tell my users that, if they could break it, I did something wrong. So go for it.

Diana

Collapse -
By that logic, and I agree with you,
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 7:37 PM PST

then the best person to run our financial economy, especially as President, is one who is really, really, really good at creating and building a successful business, right?

Collapse -
RE: successful business
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 7:45 PM PST

The purpose of a business is?

Make a profit?

Have the maximum number of employees/citizens content/happy?

Get along with neighbouring countries?

Add you own ideas here.

Collapse -
Your pointed questions mean what?
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 7:50 PM PST

Yes, yes, and yes in case you were looking for answers.

Collapse -
So which is MORE/MOSTimportant?
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 7:53 PM PST

Make a profit?

Have the maximum number of employees/citizens content/happy?

Get along with neighbouring countries?

Collapse -
Can't look at it that way
by Steven Haninger / February 18, 2013 8:06 PM PST

There will be a purpose and there will be methods of achievement. One cannot be expected to start a business with the objective of making other people happy. Making them and keeping employees happy falls under a different category than one's personal objective.

Collapse -
(NT) Tell Toni.
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 8:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Tell me what, JP?
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 8:54 PM PST

The most important would probably be to make a profit.......which means having a goal, a BUDGET and sticking to it, and having a surplus. Can you do that with the MINIMUM number of employees and make them happy instead of having a MAXIMUM number and NOBODY happy......yes. Get along with neighboring countries won't matter IF you get along within the country your business is in and your product isn't something that has 'world appeal'....but IF your product does have world appeal, then, yes, you will find a way to get along with those countries that want and need your product as long as that way doesn't affect your company and employees in the bargain.

Collapse -
RE: The most important would probably be to make a profit.
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 11:08 PM PST

You wanted a businessman to "run the country" because you figure a businessman will do a good job. Comparing a country to a business, a country doesn't have to make a profit, they just have to "break even".

So you think a good a business person would be best to run the country?

Would you consider Warren Buffet a good business man? He's super rich, lots of business people take his financial advice.

He thinks the rich should pay more taxes, why don't you agree with him?

I think the most important thing a country should do is keep the maximum number of people content without going in debt....Which should go without saying, because IF you're in debt...You ain't going to be happy. I wouldn't be anyway.

Collapse -
Replies, JP
by TONI H / February 18, 2013 11:41 PM PST

>>>You wanted a businessman to "run the country" because you figure a businessman will do a good job. Comparing a country to a business, a country doesn't have to make a profit, they just have to "break even".>>>

Tell that to all the people who bragged about Clinton's end had a SURPLUS. If you have a surplus at the end of paying your bills, you can use THAT money to INVEST in crap instead of hitting the people up for more tax increases to do that.

>>>So you think a good a business person would be best to run the country?>>>

YES

>>Would you consider Warren Buffet a good business man? He's super rich, lots of business people take his financial advice.>>>

NO, I don't think he would be good because he isn't a conservative....

>>>He thinks the rich should pay more taxes, why don't you agree with him?>>>

Sure...anybody but him, though. He takes no paycheck and instead takes stock so he doesn't have to be in the same tax bracket he wants others to be in. He's a manipulator of money. That doesn't make him a successful and HONEST businessman.

>>>I think the most important thing a country should do is keep the maximum number of people content without going in debt....Which should go without saying, because IF you're in debt...You ain't going to be happy. I wouldn't be anyway.>>>

A fishing rod and a link to SE is enough to make you happy.

I believe that the way to achieve the maximum number of people content is to make sure the economy is sound enough that they can find jobs in the fields they wish to work in. When people are out of work, they will use credit cards to pay bills with hoping they find a job in time to pay off the debt. That is exactly what this administration is doing right now....borrowing in order to keep their agendas going, then taxing the smaller and smaller pool of people employed in order to pay the interest, then borrow more, and hope for the best. Bad strategy, bad business, but what the hell, they won't be around to see the end results soon anyhow, right? AND all those who have been in favor of that strategy are RICH already so they'll be fine.........for a while at least....they'll be scrambling to park their money somewhere safe when it comes time for THEIR taxes to go up substantially. And then they'll donate to some more of their kind who will try to get tax reform to protect them down the road again.

Collapse -
RE:Tell that to all the people who bragged about Clinton's
by JP Bill / February 18, 2013 11:50 PM PST
Tell that to all the people who bragged about Clinton's end had a SURPLUS

Was it true?...Was there a SURPLUS?

Buffets a good business man BUT he's not YOUR good business man?

YOU get to chose who the President is?

A fishing rod and a link to SE is enough to make you happy

I also want a stick to beat sense into people.
Collapse -
JP...Clinton's surplus
by TONI H / February 19, 2013 1:29 AM PST

that Dems love to brag about was the last annual BUDGET amount.......it wasn't used towards the NATIONAL DEBT CEILING. Big difference between the two.

Collapse -
Didn't Clinton leave with a surplus
by JP Bill / February 19, 2013 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: JP...Clinton's surplus

Who took over after him and where did the money (surplus) go, how could Clinton change what happened AFTER he left office?

Collapse -
Who cares? He took the
by TONI H / February 19, 2013 6:27 AM PST

advice of his Congress and the Republicans and made cuts, including to Welfare programs, and created a surplus at the end of his term. Doesn't matter that Bush spent it and added to the National Debt because of two wars (whether you agreed with those wars or not)....Clinton left a National Debt as well that Bush added onto.

The conversation was about whether a good businessman could run the country financially, and I said YES. You asked what would be the most important aspect of that, and I said PROFITS/SURPLUS. If a country is doing well financially, the people have jobs and paying into the tax system to create that surplus along with the government shrinking back to something efficiently run like a business, because no matter what you might think, a government IS a business and won't last long running in the red.

Collapse -
RE: Who cares? He took the
by JP Bill / February 19, 2013 11:58 AM PST

You brought Clinton into the thread...not me.

Bush added onto.

AND he cut taxes...Which made things even worse. When you're in debt you don't quit your job/reduce income.

If a country is doing well financially, the people have jobs and paying into the tax system to create that surplus

When the people have jobs they pay taxes to create a surplus...you're OK with that...however when the rich folk 1% are doing well, you don't think they should pay taxes to create a surplus because they CREATE the jobs. Never mind the people that DO the jobs.

Collapse -
You don't go into debt
by TONI H / February 19, 2013 12:41 PM PST

when you're already broke, the people don't have jobs to pay revenue to pay that debt, and you sure as hell don't keep 'investing' when you know you have to go into debt to do that. YOU CUT OUT THE SPENDING.

Collapse -
RE: YOU CUT OUT THE SPENDING.
by JP Bill / February 19, 2013 12:59 PM PST

You only have to endure it for 4 MORE YEARS.

This will make you feel good...you want spending cuts?

The plan would essentially end Medicare, which now pays most of the health-care bills for 48 million elderly and disabled Americans, as a program that directly pays those bills. Mr. Ryan and other conservatives say this is necessary because of the program's soaring costs.

A defense sequester that will result in an across-the-board $85 billion in spending cuts this year will take effect next Friday.

You have to be ruthless...Tough times require tough measures

Collapse -
End Medicare?
by TONI H / February 19, 2013 9:05 PM PST

Not hardly, but then again BO is really good at giving a dire speech, isn't he?

HE's the ONLY ONE who can make decisions about what domestic cuts are made....and rather than talk about cutting programs that don't work, including Head Start (which is supposed to be a pre-school type of environment but has become nothing more than a paid for baby-sitter), he threatens to cut FBI, first responders, etc. If those are what ends up being cut, it's on HIM this time.

Collapse -
RE: it's on HIM this time.
by JP Bill / February 19, 2013 9:50 PM PST

The buck stops here....

You want cuts...he's giving you cuts.

Even when it wasn't on him..you put it on him.

Collapse -
JP....
by TONI H / February 20, 2013 5:04 AM PST

"even when it wasn't on him, you put it on him".........clarify.

Collapse -
RE: clarify.......short answer is........
by JP Bill / February 20, 2013 5:08 AM PST

no...

YOU list things that you think aren't his fault.

it should be a very short list, recalling all your previous posts.

Collapse -
I'm thinking what's being suggested
by Steven Haninger / February 14, 2013 5:50 AM PST

is that Obama's pick for Treasury secretary is the kind of person whom he'd just criticized in this past election...that being Mitt Romney...as a quasi tax evader.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.