TVs & Home Theaters forum

Roku, Logitech Revue, or something else?

by N.T.Gray / September 27, 2011 12:08 PM PDT

I've done just enough reading to discover that I'm not entirely sure what the questions are.

I have a television (Panasonic 720p), a collection of DVDs, and cable internet without cable television. I'm thinking that if I can get a box that lets me use the
internet to substitute for video cable, why not? I gather that there is no full
free substitute for cable TV, but which box would let me access the greatest
variety of free network TV, syndicated TV, cable channels, and movies? What else should I know that I don't know that I don't know?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Roku, Logitech Revue, or something else?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Roku, Logitech Revue, or something else?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Compile a list
by Pepe7 / September 27, 2011 12:34 PM PDT

I would compile a list of the shows you absolutely need to see. Then hit the various network web sites, along with the supports sites for the products you mentioned to see who carries the content you are after. Sometimes even the so called 'best' product might be lacking enough where you simply want to continue w/ the status quo.

All Answers

Collapse -
Since I own all 3 items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2011 2:11 AM PDT

And since you have a 720p I think the 99 buck Revue is a good fit. However those free network TV and such are things I have yet to see on Roku, Revue type boxes.

Maybe a PC is what they use?

Collapse -
<Nods to the idea of using a PC instead> (n/t)
by Pepe7 / September 28, 2011 5:37 AM PDT

Collapse -
Don't much like watching TV on my PC
by N.T.Gray / September 28, 2011 7:54 AM PDT

I don't like watching TV on my PC, which is one reason I'm considering a TV box. And that's one of my vague, generic questions: can a box, hooked to the internet, get me some of the same web sites as I can get on my computer? Which ones? If not, how does it work? What could I watch with a Roku? What could I watch with a Revue? I'm just at the For Dummies stage, trying to get the general concept after reading a few web forums and reviews that didn't quite answer all my basic questions.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2011 8:25 AM PDT

But only if that box contains what your PC has. The Revue is pretty good since it has a decent browser but your vague questions leads me to write -> "It's 99 bucks to find out."

Collapse -
Guilty as charged
by N.T.Gray / September 28, 2011 11:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

Guilty! My questions are vague because I don't yet know what it is that I don't know. And $99 may not be much, but it's a little more than I care to burn on ignorant curiosity. I always like to reduce the ignorance quotient before launching into something unknown.
What do you watch on *your* boxes?

Collapse -
(NT) Mostly Amazon Video content.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2011 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Guilty as charged
Collapse -
Sorry, my above reply was inadequate
by Pepe7 / September 29, 2011 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Guilty as charged

When I gave the nod to watching content on the PC, what I *really* was alluding to is using a PC to send along video content to your HDTV, either through a HDMI or VGA connection. This way you gain the entire content of what you can access via your broadband connection/web browser and not have to worry about any sort of embargoed content that Roku (etc.) isn't licensed to provide, albeit what to can provide is at relatively affordable pricing. The networks would prefer your traffic for many shows they stream from their web sites. Given the number of mobile devices that can ubiquitously stream via a simple app, perhaps there's a reason why some of the content is on the skimpy side elsewhere.

Collapse -
Stock shot of calendar pages blowing away in the breeze. . .
by N.T.Gray / September 2, 2012 8:58 PM PDT

I ended up getting a Roku LT and was quite happy watching mostly Netflix and listening to Pandora. But I gave it away and now I need a replacement and I'm curious. . .are there any other inexpensive boxes that provide a built-in web browser function? The Roku didn't and the D-Link MovieNite 310 seems to be a "no" but I haven't been able to determine from Google whether or not the Neo TV 200 has this function. Are there some that do?

Collapse -
The new Roku has a browser BUT
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 1:15 AM PDT

It is LIMITED in many ways. For starters sites like don't work along with may other video web sites.

DO NOT GET ANY OF THESE IF THE INTENT IS TO USE VIDEO WEB SITES. The products are not there yet at 99 to 199 bucks.

Still have my Revue and it's fine.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.