Samsung forum

General discussion

Roku Box

by pkulas / March 30, 2011 11:08 PM PDT

I have a LN55C630K1FXZA and would like to utilize my Roku box to access the Samsung Apps via the wireless signal. How can I do this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Roku Box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Roku Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not
by barryware / March 30, 2011 11:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Roku Box

I do not think that is possible. The ruku is a stand alone device and not capable of using it's wireless network adapter as a bridge.

Collapse -
Roku Wireless
by pkulas / March 31, 2011 1:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Not

Can I use a simple (generic) USB 54Mbps 802.11b/g WiFi LAN Adapter to provide the wireless signal to the TV?

Collapse -
Not
by barryware / March 31, 2011 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Roku Wireless

I don't believe so. The wireless adapter for the TV has to be a samsung device as the drivers for the device are embedded into the tv's firmware. It may be possible that other usb adapters will work, but I (we) have no way of knowing which ones they may be.

I have a linksys router (E3000) running 3rd party firmware (dd-wrt) which allows the device to run as a "client bridge". Basically, it acts as a wireless nic which I can connect 5 devices to it via it's switch ports. I have my blu-ray, tv, game console, and an IP cam all connected to the device.

The cost of a router capable of running modified firmware to serve this purpose is less than the retail cost of the required usb wireless adapter.

Collapse -
Not
by pkulas / March 31, 2011 2:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the input. Yes - I could simply plug into my LAN router as well ...but they are located on opposite side of the room. I struggle to pay the $80 for the Samsung wireless LAN adapter .. but may end up going that route.

Collapse -
Bridge
by barryware / March 31, 2011 4:20 AM PDT

No.. you mis-understood my post..

I have two routers (actually more). The main router is just that.. the router that is also a wireless access point. The other router (E3000) I mentioned, I have dd-wrt firmware running in it.

I have it configured as a client bridge. It connects to my networks AP wirelessly (client bridge), then my home entertainemnt equipment connects to the bridge.

In this configuration, it is a wireless network adapter that allows other devices to connect to it via cat5 cable. My device is located on my entertainment center stand in the family room. The patch cables that connect to it are no longer than 24". My router and AP is located in the computer room on the second floor of the house.

Not many routers support this configuration (client bridge) with the stock OEM firmware.

Collapse -
Bridge
by pkulas / March 31, 2011 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Bridge

Thanks for the clarification. I understand. I now see a few options available to me. Beyond your methodology (investing in another router dedicated to my entertainment system), I've found 2 alternatives (via online searches) to the Samsung wireless LAN Stick. Cost is low (<$30)and may be worth a try. Low cost option (no programming, addt'l hardware etc.) is to run CAT5 from my existing router under the floor and up to the TV (a distance of about 15ft).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.