Laptops forum

General discussion

risking a new model - HP dv8120

by a_godden / February 17, 2006 12:17 AM PST

Hi all, I've a small dilemma: I've had good luck with my last two IBM laptops and had planned to purchase a 3rd. However, due to Levono's shipping problems (they've emailed me expected delivery time of almost 3 weeks) I'm considering another system.

So I started researching and found HP DV8120,I think it would suit my needs (maybe better then the IBM), and the price is better. But its a new model and I cannot find any reviews or information other then HP's propaganda. Has anyone seen this laptop... Can you share any experiences good/bad with HP products?

Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: risking a new model - HP dv8120
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: risking a new model - HP dv8120
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go to Circuit City
by the7ftman / February 18, 2006 1:14 AM PST

Go to circuit city. They have them where i live. As well as the dv5000z. Which in my opinion is a better buy as it is cheaper and you can get better parts for the same amount. I thought it was plenty fast though, and i put in a copy of fantastic four and it played it quite fast and pretty well. Im pretty sure the screen wasnt the updated version so thats why i wasnt that impressed with it.

Collapse -
Bought it, and love it
by kellykf / February 18, 2006 12:32 PM PST

Hi there, this new HP model was just released here in Canada a couple of weeks ago - so I couldn't really find many reviews either. I've heard good things about HP's support staff though, and overall the products are v. good, so I went for it. I bought it at Best Buy for $1499 (Canadian dollars, that's about $1300 USD) plus a free HP1610 printer (which I sold for $130 USD). So far, I'm very happy with it. Battery life is excellent (4+ hrs), the screen is gorgeous (many many people have commented positively on this), dual 80GB hard drives assure plenty of hard disk place. The video card is good for most purposes unless you're a hardcore gamer, and even then I'm sure it's plenty sufficient. The speakers are pretty darn good for a laptop, although I hear not quite as good as the Harman Kardon's of previous HPs. Mine had just 512MB DDR RAM, which i didn't have the option of upgrading on the spot, but if you can I would recommend it, perhaps to 1024. Wireless internet is a breeze. For a 17'' laptop, it's really not all that heavy, i'm used to it already. It's also got plenty of ports (4 USB ports, for example). Overall, this is a very nice machine, and I have no regrets. Go for it, and enjoy that beautiful screen!

Collapse -
by Greg465 / February 18, 2006 5:11 PM PST

i have an HP Pavilion zv6000 i bought 6 months ago and it has major problems, it overheats all the time now and the Java has never worked no matter how many time I uninstall and reinstall it, the screen suxs bad! You want a notebook buy a SONY stay away from HP or may god save u!

Collapse -
HP battery recall
by kellykf / February 18, 2006 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: NO HP

Hi again,
have you heard about the battery recall for various models of HP? This might explain your problem with overheating, and HP will replace the battery free. Do a google search for this, and plenty of hits will come up. Also if you go to the HP website, and search for 'recall' you'll find it there.

Take care,

Collapse -
DV8120 - purchased 1 month ago
by handymanvic / March 2, 2006 7:41 AM PST

I bought my HP laptop about 1 month ago.
For the price, it absolutely could not be beat. I got mine on sale for $1299. The only reason Future Shop gave me the $1299 price was because I took the 3 year complete warranty for $300. I work in IT and know the price of laptop repair. I wanted the extended warranty regardless for some peace of mind.
For 1599, I absolutely love it.

So far I have no complaints.
The wireless is great, layout, performance, everything is awesome.

I have no regrets, so far:)

Collapse -
by sweetrain6 / March 16, 2006 1:03 AM PST

i bought this notebook 3 weeks ago... and i love it. i added memory so i have a gig instead of 512. The screen is amazing, although it does show glare. Its not that heavy, and i can bring it to school without complaining about it being too heavy... word of warning to anyone considering buying this one, its hard to find a bag to fit it. it tends to be too long and thick to fit in most bags, i ended up having to use a bubble shipping envelope to protect it, and then put it in my backpack (not in the sleeve made for the notebook.

Collapse -
HP DV8000
by jgvillan / March 16, 2006 10:51 AM PST

CNET actually has a review on it, but its on it's 'generic' name of DV8000z. I own a DV8110, and had it for alittle more than 3 months. I luv this thing, as it can do what I ask of it. Agreeing with other ppl here, this thing is alittle awkward to carry and really need to find a decent 17" notebook back for it. I was lucky to find one that I like for around $10. With it's copacity to hold two hard drives, that is just that much more hard drive storage that you can use for any multi-media files (audio and/or videos). This thing rocks, and depending how you use it. Can last to more than three hours, so if you travel hard, you may want a second battery. It has very good wireless reception, the integrated number keypad is a plus, and really can't find anything wrong with the DV8000 series, other than the travel bag issue.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.