Speakeasy

General discussion

RIP Ravi Shankar

by grimgraphix / December 11, 2012 2:27 PM PST
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RIP Ravi Shankar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RIP Ravi Shankar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I can't believe CNN felt it necessary....
by Josh K / December 11, 2012 9:59 PM PST
In reply to: RIP Ravi Shankar

.....to identify him as "the father of Norah Jones" in its headline, as if people need that in order to know who he is/was.

One of the most influential musicians of all time. I just heard a few minutes ago. Obviously he had a huge impact on the Beatles, which translated into a huge impact on western music and culture.

Sad

Collapse -
(NT) I never heard of him
by James Denison / December 12, 2012 12:27 AM PST
Collapse -
The two notices I know of said
by drpruner / December 12, 2012 4:07 AM PST

she was his "estranged daughter", which is true. I believe it had something to do with the way he treated her mother. Somewhat newsworthy.
I may have mentioned before that he opened a Bill Graham concert with some music, which we westerners didn't much understand, and the audience applauded. He said, 'Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed my warming up.' Happy
The sitar is notoriously tricky to tune.

Collapse -
It was the Concert for Bangladesh
by Josh K / December 12, 2012 9:39 PM PST

They were tuning up and when they stopped, the audience applauded. He said something like, "If you enjoyed the tuning so much, I hope you will enjoy the playing even more."

Collapse -
(NT) I believe you're right about the venue and the quote.
by drpruner / December 13, 2012 8:23 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.