Headphones & Mp3 Players

General discussion

Rio Carbon vs. Creative Zen Micro

by Balbowa / December 31, 2004 2:25 AM PST

What do you think is the better choice? I can't find anything substantial about either one that can give me a definite decision.

Give me your opinion.

Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rio Carbon vs. Creative Zen Micro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rio Carbon vs. Creative Zen Micro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Urgent
by Balbowa / December 31, 2004 11:29 AM PST

any opinion would be great, thanks!

Collapse -
Tough Choice
by Shot007 / January 2, 2005 12:27 AM PST
In reply to: Urgent

Well I would go with the Creative Zen Micro...
But in making your choice u have to decide which options are you more into...

First of all teh Carbon is cheaper so that extra 30bucks might be good for you...also it is easily recognized when you plug it into the usb....simply drag and drop you files...adn also it has a much longer battery life about 18-20(compared to Micro's 11hrs)

The Zen Micro on the other hand comes with an FM radio and not to mention FM recording that is as good as any out there(I listen to alot of radio so I choose the Micro...after selling My Carbon)
also if you are into using Outlook it syncs with Outlook quite well..and it also works really good with Mindows Media Player...I personally think that the Micro looks much better and it looks amazing when all the light are off....The Micro overall "feels" like a more advanced product....

Personally if you want a pick up and go mp3 player...go witht the Carbon...if you want more advanced features and more value go for the Micro....but these are both excellent Mp3 player...that I think are both better than the MINI....

Collapse -
I was deciding between the same two...
by vcoffman / January 3, 2005 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Tough Choice

and I went with the Zen Micro. I heard it has better sound. Since the carbon is made of metal, it causes some interference with some headphones. I'm patiently waiting my Zen though! It's out of stock in a lot of places.

Collapse -
The Micro
by olyinaz / January 5, 2005 4:33 PM PST

I have tried both and opted for the Micro. And I was a Rio Karma user (LOVED it) so the Carbon was my first choice.

The Carbon cannot match the Micro for sound quality. Period. The Micro sounds almost as good as my Karma and is a match for the iPod, but the Carbon does not. The Carbon's amps will clip and distort at high volume levels and if you have a lot of bass pumped up.

Also, I had the annoying headset static issue caused by the Carbon's metal casing (talk about bad design - no excuse). If your preferred phones or buds have a metal T shaped jack with a flange at the top of the jack, you will have that problem with the Carbon. Most other players surround their jack holes with a bit of plastic in order to avoid that problem.

The Micro looks better and looks to be of higher quality, but that's a very subjective thing.

The Micro now works natively with Windows Media Player for syncing and moving files, and also shows up in Windows (latest firmware - this is a new thing). The Micro works beautifully with the free Real player for file transferring/syncing also.

Neither player features gapless playback of continuous mix albums, which would be a clincher issue for me if either one did (although I don't know if I could live with the Carbon's audio quality). The Karma plays back gapless - long live the Karma!! What an outstanding player that ****** is...ah, thread drift...

Hope this helps anyone looking at both!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.