Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Right-click New menu Windows Explorer lost Word file type

by jacercat / April 5, 2010 12:48 PM PDT

When I right-click New menu in Windows Explorer the MS Word file type is not there. All the other MS Office types are. This happened after I did a factory reformat of a pre-installed Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire L3600. Previously Word showed up, as it still does when I installed MS Office on my wife's Dell laptop as a test. How can I get it back in? It's what I most use the right-click feature for!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Right-click New menu Windows Explorer lost Word file type
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Right-click New menu Windows Explorer lost Word file type
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can you clarify the problem?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 5, 2010 9:23 PM PDT

In Vista my Windows Explorer does not have a New menu option displayed. It does have an "Organise" option with a "New folder" entry listed.

If I press the ALT key, the normal "File Edit View Tools Help" menu options appear, but clicking File does not offer any MS Word file types, and there is no "New" menu button.

I'm not sure where your problem lies.

Collapse -
further details
by jacercat / April 9, 2010 5:37 PM PDT

Right-clicking a blank area of the desktop brings up a window with a number of options including the command "New" which expands to allow a number of new items to be opened. These include a new folder, a new bitmap image, a new MS Access database; in fact all the Office apps but not, since the restore of Vista HP, a new MS Word document. It was there before as one of the choices; it was the most often used feature. Now it's gone. If memory serves me corectly it used to be in the middle of the list.

Collapse -
Ahh, I understand now.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 9, 2010 9:06 PM PDT
In reply to: further details

Thanks for that. You are talking about the Context Menu options for right clicking the desktop.

There seems to be a number of explanations how to do this. I Googled Vista Context menu, how to add Word, and Google displayed a number of different links.

I think the best and safest is Microsoft's own guidance at

Now, it's for Windows 95, but the procedure is the same. However, it involves editing the system's registry, and you need to understand the risks involved with doing that, and how to back up the registry beforehand and recover from any problem after, if anything happens. At the very least, create a System Restore point before proceeding.

Before you attempt all that though, just a couple of thoughts;

1] Is Microsoft Office installed on this machine?

2] If so, have you tried uninstalling Office, (reboot the system), then re-installing Office? That may be the safer way.

Collapse -
Create MS Word file through Right Click - New option
by vsrawat / December 14, 2010 4:09 AM PST

open ms word

create a blank new document

save it anywhere on your computer with any name (say, you give it name of doc1.docx)

close ms word

copy that blank ms word file (doc1.docx) to folder C:\Windows\ShellNew

start run regedit.exe

go to Hkey_Classes_Root\.docx

create a string key having name: Filename

and give it a value: C:\Windows\ShellNew\doc1.docx
(case doesn't matter)

where this doc1.docx is the exact name u gave to that blank ms word file that you moved to ShellNew folder

close regedit.

you might need to close and restart your windows explorer window or file commander etc. software window.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.