Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Revsci Cookie

by JannieB / August 16, 2006 1:11 AM PDT

Has anyone heard of / experienced this cookie? I believe it is a tracking cookie as everytime it shows up, I get a lot of junk emails. I have deleted it about 1,000 times over the last couple of months, and entered it in the block cookies list of IE. All that did was make it mutate to revsci[2]. There is a website for the company, Revenue Science.

It isn't caught by Adaware, Spywareblaster, Spybot, or Norton Antivirus, so any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have a Dell Dimension 4400 with windows 2000 professional, with administrator and user split. I use IE and Outlook Express. Please don't tell me the solution is to change to a different browswer as this is my work computer and that's not going to happen. Thank you for any ideas.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Revsci Cookie
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Revsci Cookie
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Revsci Cookie
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 16, 2006 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Revsci Cookie

Hi,

Open Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Internet Options, click on the 'Delete Cookies' and 'Delete Files'. Choose to delete offline content on the prompt.

Did you happen to check your Tools|Privacy Advanced settings? And Tools|Privacy Sites?

Are any of the sites in your Trusted Sites list?

Do you have a HOSTS file?

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Collapse -
revsci
by JannieB / August 16, 2006 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Revsci Cookie

I have deleted from internet options and the regular cookie folder too many times to count - makes no difference. Don't know how to access the trusted site or hosts file.

Collapse -
Trusted site
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 16, 2006 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: revsci

On the Internet Explorer 6 Tools menu, click Internet Options.

Click the Security tab, and then click the security zone

Trusted sites

Regarding the HOSTS file - you will have to download it:

This download includes a simple batch file (mvps.bat) that will rename the existing HOSTS file to HOSTS.MVP then copy the included updated HOSTS file to the proper location. For more information please see the readme.txt included in the download.

pls. read more here: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Collapse -
You also could BLOCK via:
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 16, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

Internet Explorer:
Go Tools->Internet Options->Privacy and click Sites. You can then add revsci.com and ads.revsci.net/adserver to your list of blocked sites so that cookies from that site are refused automatically. You can also click Advanced and have IE prompt you for each cookie that requests installation. Over a short period of time you can have a nice rule base set up for which cookies you do and do not want.

Firefox:
Go Tools->Options->Privacy->Cookies and click Exceptions. There you can add ther above to the block list. You can also select "ask me every time" and check "from originating site only" to have Firefox prompt you every time a new cookie requests permission just like with IE.

I also would suggest downloading and installing SpywareBlaster:

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Collapse -
You could also BLOCK via:
by JannieB / August 16, 2006 3:30 AM PDT

I checked my cookies folder and wouldn't you know it, I had to once again delete the revsci cookie! I had already entered revsci.com in the blocked cookies list, but I added ads.revsci... and we'll see if that helps.

I have spywareblaster installed, wouldn't operate a computer without it, but revsci doesn't appear in any of their lists. Don't know if this is new or what. I've only had it pop up in the last 2 or so months.

I haven't had a chance to review and try the hosts info, but I did print it out. I'm not very tech savvy, no formal computer training so I just muddle through. So I have to be very careful what I attempt to do.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. If it still keeps appearing after I try the Hosts info I'll post again. Thanks again!

Collapse -
(NT) o.k......You Are Very Welcome :)
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 16, 2006 3:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
Did you know
by PudgyOne / August 16, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

Did you know that this cookie comes from this website. I use the noscript extention and I do not allow revsi.net to script here.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
No I didn't...
by JannieB / August 16, 2006 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Did you know

How would I do that?

C/NET - would you allow a tracking cookie on your website?

Collapse -
I also had NO idea, but ......
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 16, 2006 4:35 AM PDT
In reply to: No I didn't...
Collapse -
NoScript
by Bugbatter / August 16, 2006 4:49 AM PDT

Marianna, have you been using NoScript for long? How do you like it?

Collapse -
I have been using NoScript
by PudgyOne / August 16, 2006 7:18 AM PDT
In reply to: NoScript

I have been using NoScript for some time. I really like it. I try NOT to allow scripting on any website, unless I have to. I at first temporaily allow if needed. If it's a website I frequent, I then tell it to allow but only for the main site I'm on, example, here I only allow CNET.com. I do NOT allow the rest of them to work. If you are downloading a file, you'll have to temporaily allow that site to allow scripting.

I can't be without this extention.

Rick

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Bugbatter / August 16, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

Thank you for replying, Rick. That's good to know. Happy

Collapse -
Problem solved
by JannieB / August 22, 2006 6:16 AM PDT

Marianna,
I want to let you know that typing in the ads.revsci... in the cookies blocking option seems to have solved the problem - I haven't seen that cookie since! I didn't have to do anything with hosts files. Thank you for your help.

Collapse -
Thanks for posting back !
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 22, 2006 6:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved

Hi JannieB

I am so glad to hear, adding the ads.revsci..in the cookies blocking option solved your problem Happy

You Are Very Welcome, my pleasure Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.