Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Review of webhost4life.com and it's not good

by jamiejj / February 26, 2009 10:55 AM PST

I had been using Webhost4life.com for 5 years for about the first 4 years I didn?t have any problems except for at the tech support level where you would state a problem and you would get a response from support that often was not relevant, misunderstood or a canned answer. It would normally take 3 or 4 efforts for webhost4life.com to understand and solve my problem. But I could live with that, however as my business grew the problems with them mounted.

One day without any notice they cut off my email service and wanted me to send a letter stating that I do not send spam. I told them I don?t send emails to anyone but my clients and those requesting information and that their own records should be able to show that I do not send mass mailings. After a couple of days with no email they had my mail service back up. This was an omen of bad things to come with Webhost4life.com.

Months later again with absolutely no notice webhost4life.com shut down my website because they said my site was using too much resource (that is another way of saying too many people are looking at your website). I immediately sent an email to the CEO stating that this was very unprofessional to close me down without any prior notice and that I needed to be back up immediately, because I am a small business and this would damage by business. Well the CEO never responded to my email or my next 2 emails to him. It?s incredible that they would state on their website ?NOT satisfied with our service? Email our CEO? only to get more dissatisfaction from trying to contact the CEO.

And this was not just a one time incident that my emails to the CEO of webhost4life.com were ignored. A previous time I had sent the same email to him six times over about six weeks and forward the first email with the original sent date and ensuing dates reminding him each time that he had still not responded to my email and problem to see if this method would get a responses from him. But no the CEO simply does not want to get involved and never replied. Webhost4life.com commitment to customer service is a crock and it is hard to image a company treating their customers like this and still being in business. What kind of lead does this provide to their customer service personnel when the boss is not even customer service oriented? Well let me tell you.

My first response from tech support for their abrupt shutting down of my website after 2 hours was simply to state the exact same information that was emailed to me when they interrupted my service which is ?your website is causing high system resource utilization?. This was their only response to an urgent ticket. They did not tell me what needed to be done or when I would be back up. Ten hours after sending them my urgent ticket and repeated emails to them I was told I had to move to a more dedicate server. Ok, no problem with this accept the link and method they gave me to pay did not work and it takes another 12 hours before I can pay them for the extra service since I had already had 6 plus months credit for the current service. They then tell me the migration will be done ?ASAP? but they won?t give me any time estimate. No matter how hard I tried to get some time frame they just wouldn?t tell me. All Webhost4life.com repeatedly tells me is they are sorry for the ?inconvenience? and I keep telling them this is more then just an inconvenience this is my livelihood, but that concept wasn?t registering with them.

After 4 days of lost business and me sending them many email, chat messages, and help tickets they final put me back up on my old server which I had been requesting many times for them to do until they are ready to move me to the new server. However back on the old server I am being inundated with server errors and service unavailable errors. I am now spending a lot of time responding to my own customers complaints about the difficulties they are having accessing my web pages, and unlike Webhost4life.com I respond back to every one of my clients. Twelve days after paying for the new service and server and receiving a message that my ?payment is verified? I receive a notice, ?Sorry for the late replies, for this case, I will forward this to our account department since there is some payment issue need to be settlement before activate the new account. Once again, sorry for your inconvenience.? Now at this point can anyone not believe you are dealing with a bunch of careless clowns running Webhost4life.com. You would think an accounting issue could be solved in one business day the only accounting discrepancy was that they had not given me credit for the past service I had paid or for the back days delayed in moving me to the new server but expecting a prompt response from Webhost4life.com is a far fetch dream.

Now during this debacle where my business is being severely disrupted the volume of emails I would normally get is drastically down. Even when we send emails within our own network to our own domains the emails are not going through. Many of our emails are not make it to the receiver. When I bring this up to Webhost4life.com they say, ?We are working on the issue already. Please wait and check it later.? Yet 4 days later with untold amount of emails not reaching us and being permanently lost we hear nothing else from them. All told it was almost a month before we were running smoothly on the new server.

Now I will say this I was an idiot for not leaving Webhost4life.com after what they did because six months after moving to the new server they shut me down again without notice late at night for ?running high IO constantly?. After many attempts to get some clarity of what is wrong they say I exceed my limit of 200 GB and to look at my stats. I did look and told them I used less then this last month and was running at a rate of less then 200 for this month so what are they talking about. But Webhost4life.com would not directly answer my questions they simply told me to purchase an upgrade. When I asked to talk to someone they gave me a phone number where I got a recording saying there will be about a 20 minute wait. At about the 20 minute mark the phone disconnected, three more phone attempts got the same results a long wait and then disconnected. When I paid them that night (my urgency was to get my site up quickly) I sent technical support the receipt with all the information showing my payment. In the morning I get an email saying they did not start the migration because I didn?t show paying. This is after sending them a copy of all the details of their receipt to me showing I had paid and webhost4life.com responding back to message with all the detail that I had paid. Incredible! It took 7 days before my ordering system was up and running because tech support would take anywhere from 6 to 24 hours to respond and this was after telling webhost4life that I was losing money due to their delays.

Webhost4life.com is completely unresponsive and uncommunicative to critical customer needs and ownership could care less about the problems they give you. Webhost4life.com is a disaster hosting company for a growing business oriented web site. It was with great relief that I left this arrogant company. Webhost4life.com will sabotage your business. Imagine having your web host shut you down 2 times without any notice because they want you to upgrade your service and then take their time with the migration so you are down for weeks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Review of webhost4life.com and it's not good
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Review of webhost4life.com and it's not good
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I wonder
by preal78 / February 28, 2009 5:23 PM PST

I wonder why you used them for 4 years of they are bad?

Collapse -
by jamiejj / March 1, 2009 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: I wonder

I indicated for the first 4 years things were fine. I also indicted after I started receiving problems I was stupid not to have left them. Switching hosting companies can be a hassle and I got lazy hoping things would stabilize with them but that did not happen and I paid for it.

Collapse -
I Concur - Webhost4life is Not Good At All
by Lexme123 / March 4, 2009 11:09 AM PST

We have had very similar experiences. Webhost4life were reasonably responsive up until about 6 months ago. They use to answer the phone now it goes dead after 8minutes of being on hold. The CEO could give a damn about the problems and yes, all they can say is "we are sorry for the inconvenience". Needless to say we have already started the migration of our site to another host.

Collapse -
Webhost4life is DOWN ! So is Your Site !
by SherlockNZ / March 10, 2010 4:17 PM PST

I am currently the owner of a DotnetNuke portal down for over a week
after being sent an email saying that

" Your site has been migrated to the new system, after extensive testing"

I got one one that said

"your site is down, we have no idea how long it will take us to fix the problem"

That was 4 days ago ! It is still broken.

Do not touch this with a barge pole !

Collapse -
I'm having a very similar problem
by adobo76 / March 11, 2010 3:48 AM PST

I'm the designer and owner of www.chantiquejewelry.com
Over a week ago my site went down without any warning. I immediatly contacted tech support but they were unable/unwilling to help. I recieved an e-mail later that night saying that my site was migrated to the new platform. Problem is that the website on the new platform was some copy of my website from over a month ago! I continually contacted tech support to get them to fix the issue. Each time they said that it would be fixed in a few hours and it never was. I had to then manually move my site over to the new platform. After doing this I found that I could not login to my website because somehow forms authentication was broken on the new platform. I wrote back and updated my ticket but no action was taken all weekend. Finally on monday I called and asked for a supervisor who put me in touch with their "Top Technician" he moved my domain back to the original site. My site ran for 2 days on the old server but today some idiot decided to transfer it to the new server again without my permission or knowledge. Again I contacted tech support and was told it would work again in 15 minutes. Well that was 5 hours ago now. Website still broken. Has anyone thought of a class action suit against these guys? Is there any legal recourse we can take?

Collapse -
was moved to new platform and now it's welcome to hell!
by og3--2008 / March 11, 2010 4:52 AM PST

I have been with webhost4life for a couple of years now, I was happy with them up until they moved my domain to their new platform, now it's totally erratic, extremely slow. After spending a lot of my time chatting with them, going back and forth to their support center, I'm giving up, I feel that they are listening to the real issues and I'm going in circles with them. Before I was moved to their new platform, I would have recommended them, today I would recommend to stay away from them.

Collapse -
Repost: I will second this. Big time. I never would beleive
by Sovereign Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 10:04 AM PDT

Posted by: mimosa495

I have to second this comment in a big way!!

I have a number of my own sites and client sites sitting on the old webhost4life platform, and they have always been ok. So I have referred my clients to them. But the new platform is crazy bad.

I just put a new client on there just over 1 month ago. We spent over 1 month trying to get a 1 page site up and running.

The technical support on the first level is none existent. I have had many conversations and ALL responses are cut and paste. I think first line technical support is a machine.

Second line technical support is slow. 24 - 72 hours for a response. And then, they don't read the question and give another canned response that makes no sense and you have to wait another 24 - 72 hours.

I was spelling out problems down to the letter, and they still wouldn't read them.

Once we finally got the sites up and running, they would go down arbitrarily, and once again you have to wait 24 - 48 hours for a response. Like I said, chat tech support, level 1 is completely useless.

I have yelled and screamed. The old control panel or system still has the old tech support, which at least is responsive and valuable. I have told them about the problems as well, but got no where.

We have just moved that one client to a new host, but because we fought the problems for over 1 month, we now have to fight for a refund.

Because I recommended my client to them, I have done well over 40 hours of free support an extremely small site. The support costs (if I was billing) would have been about 6 - 10 times the actual cost of their site.

I honestly never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I am so happy to have found this posting, because I was seriously beginning to doubt my sanity.

The remainder of my sites work (because they are on the old system), but I am moving them as well.

Glen Kowalski

Link removed. No advertising please.

Collapse -
Class action suit?
by fhemsher / March 11, 2010 5:54 AM PST

I started a blog earlier this week titled: "WebHost4Life Class Action Suite" It's an attempt to see if this problem is extensive enough for customers to receive compensation.
I'm not an attorney. I have 2 sites hosted at WebHost4Life. The migration of my sites has been painful, to say the least.

See: http://fhemsher/blogspot.com

Collapse -
oops - incorrect url for WebHost4Life Class Action Lawsuit
by fhemsher / March 11, 2010 6:00 AM PST
In reply to: Class action suit?
Collapse -
by adobo76 / March 11, 2010 10:19 AM PST

Problem is that this link is a blog. It's got some information on it that is helpful but we need a place where people can post their personal stories at as well.

Collapse -
Blog: WebHost4Life Class Action Suit
by fhemsher / March 11, 2010 7:02 PM PST
In reply to: Nice

Yes, I know that and tried to do this under the first Post:
"Describe Your Hosting Problems At WebHost4Life"
If that doesn't suffice, or others feel as you do, I could start a list.

Collapse -
by alkibsi / March 12, 2010 12:04 AM PST

so what is a good hosting alternative... I am mainly looking for email system such as the smarter mail for multiple domains..

Collapse -
Count Me In
by Popsycho / August 12, 2015 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Class action suit?

The organization is worse than AT&T's billing department.

Collapse -
Webhost4life is absolutely ****!
by emmab1986 / October 20, 2015 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Count Me In

we should work together to get rid of this kind of **** company!

Collapse -
Webhost4Life.com - Continued disasters
by jimcolli / March 12, 2010 1:27 PM PST

Webhost4Life is having more than their usual share of disasters, and their usual share is awesome.

At two of my sites, AJAX controls that had worked previously have become inoperative. They're telling me 24-48 hours to put right what had worked. At one of these sites, I can't make updates either. Estimated fix on this problem is also 48 hours.

But there's more... a technician in Phoenix has just informed me that I'm the only person he knows of using AJAX.

Sometimes it only takes one comment like this to get to the bottom of a nest of problems. What I conclude is that Webhost4Life employees are incompetent on a wholesale scale.

The online chat support used to be based overseas. Presently it appears most of their support is in the U.S. and Canada. I have spoken with people in Arizona, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island in recent days.

Collapse -
by adobo76 / March 12, 2010 1:41 PM PST

Trust me a comment like that would have made me blow up. I've witnessed cases like this first hand. One chat support operator told me that my site couldn't be moved back to the old server a day after a manager told me it could be. I've had better luck dealing with IRS operators than these bozos.

Collapse -
I was told the same thing
by mimosa495 / March 26, 2010 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow!

After a new site of a client being down for WEEKS, and at first being told it as my fault (even though I have serveral sites, and know what I am doing), they finally admitted they have a known problem.

I told them to move back to the old server, where everything was fine. And I was told "No, we can't do that".

We (my clients and I) suffered it out because moving to a host is a pain and we thought once the issues were fixed we would be ok. But, its still down over 50% of the time, so we are in the process of migrating anyway.

We have had EzineArticles declined because of them being down. Any one who knows anything about ezinearticles premium status (something me and my clients rely on) knows this is NOT a good thing.

Avoid these guys like the plague. Your business could depend on it.

Glen Kowalski
SEO For Less

Collapse -
Webhost4Life's failure to notify of critical info
by jimcolli / March 12, 2010 6:40 PM PST

Failure to notify of critical info prior to transition

I have just spoken with another technician who advises that he doesn't know when critical problems are going to be resolved.

During our discussion, he informed me that prior to the transition WebHost4Life informed me of the need to change to notify my domain registrar of new DNS settings. He gave me the date of the e-mail that supposedly informed of this need. I found the e-mail, which was sent on Jan. 13, 2010 at 12:14 pm, CST.

Contrary to his statement, it does not contain a single reference to a need to change my DNS settings with my domain registrar. WEBHOST4LIFE DID NOT NOTIFY ME OF THIS BEFORE THE FACT.

It also, while we're on the subject, does not contain a single reference to pointing my e-mail handler (which happens to be Outlook Express) to a new WebHost4Life server in order to receive and send my e-mail. I had to find this the hard way after my e-mail failed. WEBHOST4LIFE DID NOT NOTIFY ME OF THIS BEFORE THE FACT.

As usual, WebHost4Life's technician denies that there was a problem. He does not realize that he is the problem. WebHost4Life would be better off without his services in my opinion.

During the course of our angry conversation, I did make one rash statement. I said that if some veep of Webhost4Life wants to commit suicide over the problems he has caused, I won't stop him. What I should have said is, if I know that he's about to jump off a tall building but can't quite do it, I'll be happy to provide the necessary shove.

Collapse -
by sbeena40 / March 12, 2010 9:22 PM PST

guys go to ripoffreport.com and other websites to vent. Some of the venting is far beyond that an average person coming to take advice and contribute can take. Shame on you guys and shame on Cnet.

Collapse -
No shame here
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 9:26 PM PST
In reply to: CNET MODREATORS ?

Reading this discussion it seems these members have genuine concerns over this web hosting resource and are discussing it here.

I see no shame in that.

Collapse -
far more than simple venting
by sbeena40 / March 12, 2010 9:30 PM PST
In reply to: No shame here

one of them said,

"During the course of our angry conversation, I did make one rash statement. I said that if some veep of Webhost4Life wants to commit suicide over the problems he has caused, I won't stop him. What I should have said is, if I know that he's about to jump off a tall building but can't quite do it, I'll be happy to provide the necessary shove."

means nothing? to me this is far more than venting and completely uncivilized.

Collapse -
Sadly such things are sometimes said.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 9:34 PM PST

When we rely on some resource and it fails, and the problem is entirely out of our hands, then sometimes our anger and desperation gets the better of us.

It's human nature I suppose.

I see nothing in this discussion so far that would cause the Moderators to 'take pause' and consider further action.

Collapse -
67,000 customers at risk...and we should keep quiet?
by fhemsher / March 12, 2010 9:32 PM PST

This is not ranting. This is a meltdown of WebHost4Life

Collapse -
Not quite
by sbeena40 / March 12, 2010 9:42 PM PST

I am not saying anything supporting webhost, I don't know them , never used them, probably never will.

I am certainly against some of the harsh words some of the folks here use. It is not the question if that rep was trying to help or not. It is the question of how low some buyers can get. I completely side with the buyers, however its completely appalling to be treated and abused that way.

Shame on you guys, If I have had a problem, I would take my business away, but not get personal. Employees are human and they live on internet too! Some of them will take it and smoke it out. Some of them will give it back in forums, complaint sites - with your and your company name on it.

Collapse -
This sub-thread banned.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: Not quite

I am banning this sub-thread.

Any further posts here, or elsewhere in this discussion of a similar nature, will be deleted.

Collapse -
Not quite
by emmab1986 / October 20, 2015 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Not quite

I have been suffering with webhost4life: it's personal thing I believe because the tech support or employee just made up stories. They are lying for some reason I still dont understand!

Collapse -
Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 12, 2010 9:46 PM PST

Sorry but I can't allow personal threats of any sort.

I understand the frustration in this discussion, and the recent post doesn't help, but we will keep this discussion civilised please.

Collapse -
Discovery of another problem at WebHost4Life
by jimcolli / March 12, 2010 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: Post deleted.

I also see that two Silverlight applets at www.cross-comp.com are missing. So far,

a- The site can't be updated.
b- Ajax controls at the site don't work.
c- Silverlight at the site doesn't work.

All of this had worked for several years. This ASP.Net based site has been there since 2006 and replaced a L.A.M.P. based site at another Web host. However, the technology is not the problem. Webhost4Life is also experiencing failures with its hosted LAMP sites as well.

But the site *is* there, and sometimes comes up faster than before.
That much credit I must give them. Other times, it doesn't come up at all, lest I give them too much credit.

As for my humor, they did take my money and are not giving me what I paid for and the people tasked with providing support just are not up to the task. That's the crime.

Collapse -
They Do Suck
by own3mall / April 9, 2010 6:30 AM PDT

Yeah, I hate their new control panel. I had to manually set my PHP settings via php.ini to get my sites to be operational again. The customer should never have to play with this. I too was not warned about the switch. The new control panel is more complicated than the old one, and I also don't like the new email system. Now they're using a cheap free one (Squirrel mail) as oppose to Smartmail, which I actually liked.

Collapse -
Manual Migration Option Should Be Seriously Considered
by fhemsher / March 12, 2010 10:10 PM PST

My sites are about 90% thru the 'automatic' migration process. Of course, this automatic process had crashed my sites. If I would have had some indication of just how poorly the automatic process was going to proceed, I would have opted for manual migration.

What I'm saying is, if current WebHost4Life customers have NOT YET entered the 'autmatic' mode, they should go for the manual migration.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.