Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Revert back to Vista ...How do I do it?

by Nomadica / April 2, 2009 9:07 AM PDT

I wish to revert back to Vista from W& can this be done. Appreciate all info

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Revert back to Vista ...How do I do it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Revert back to Vista ...How do I do it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You cannot...
by John.Wilkinson / April 2, 2009 9:13 AM PDT

There is no way to 'downgrade' or 'roll back' your operating system. Thus, you must get out your Windows Vista DVD and reinstall from scratch, reinstall all of your applications, restore your files from backup, and recreate all of your settings. That's one of the reasons Microsoft posted warnings on their website telling users not to install Windows 7 on primary/production machines.

Collapse -
by Nomadica / April 2, 2009 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: You cannot...

Thankyou John, I did not think it was possible but just wanted to confirm. I had Vista pre installed on my Acer laptop and have no backup disk. any suggestions appreciated

Regards Alan

Collapse -
Order the discs...
by John.Wilkinson / April 2, 2009 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Nowadays you have to burn your own discs upon reception of a new computer. If that step was not completed, you have to order a set of recovery discs form the manufacturer for a nominal (<$30) fee.

Collapse -
return to vista from win7
by leah dog / February 19, 2010 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: You cannot...

Yes there is a method to dp this
check that you have a folder named windows.old if yes follow the directions below
reboot f8
chose dos
move windows win7/windows
move program files win7\program files
move users win7\users
attrib-h-s-r programdata
move programdata win7\programdata
rd documents and settings
move/y c:\windows.old\windows c:\
move/y c:\windows.old programdata c:\
move/y c:\windows.old\users c:\
move/y c:\windows.old\doucments and users c:\

D\boot\bootsect/nt60 c:
exit click restart

Collapse -
That only works if...
by John.Wilkinson / February 20, 2010 3:54 AM PST

You performed a clean installation from Vista to Windows 7, in which case the prior files are automatically moved to the Windows.OLD directory. Performing a standard upgrade does not move all old files to Windows.OLD, thus negating that as an option to revert.

-> NOTE: The prior set of instructions contains significant typographical errors that will result in the operation's failure even if the Windows.OLD directory does exist. In addition, the instructions would have to be entered through the Windows DVD's command prompt, not by accessing Vista's/Windows 7's command prompt (not DOS) boot option.

Collapse -
No you can't go back and it's allways a good
by orlbuckeye / April 5, 2009 10:43 PM PDT

idea to completely backup your system to create a restore point whenever you make a change like that. We do it here at my work by creating an image that we use for all 1500 computers that installs the basic software and then software to the specific dept is installed individually.

Collapse -
What op system do you have?
by Mettalic_ank / February 21, 2010 3:12 PM PST

If you have XP then:

Step 1: Determine whether there is a Windows.OLD folder and whether there is sufficient free space on the Windows hard disk

1. Click Start
Collapse this imageExpand this image
Start button
, and then click Computer.
2. On the View menu, click Details.
3. In the Free Space column, note how much space is available for Local Disk (C:) under the Hard Disk Drives area.
4. In the Hard Disk Drives area, double-click Local Disk (C:), and then determine whether the Windows.OLD folder exists.

Important If the Windows.OLD folder does not exist, you cannot follow the steps in this article to restore the previous Windows installation to this computer.
5. Right-click the Windows.OLD folder.
6. Windows Vista will determine the size of the folder after several seconds.

Determine whether the Windows.OLD folder is smaller than the free space that is available for Local Disk (C:) in step 2.

Note If the Windows.OLD folder is two times as large as the free space that is available for the Local Disk (C:) entry, you may be unable to restore the previous Windows installation.

Step 2: Start the Windows Recovery Environment

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the DVD drive, and then restart the computer.
2. Press a key when you are prompted to restart from the disc.
3. In the Install Windows window, select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard input method or other input method, and then click Next.
4. In the Install Windows window, click Repair your computer.
5. In the System Recovery Options window, click the version of the Windows Vista operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. In the System Recovery Options window, click Command Prompt.

The Command Prompt window opens, and it displays the command prompt. The command prompt is where you will type the commands that are described in the following steps.

Next steps:

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.