Phones forum

Question

Retrieving old contacts and text messages from SIM card

by doomspider / September 25, 2012 5:52 PM PDT

Is it possible, through your cell phone provider, to retrieve old contacts and text messages that were once on a SIM card? I had always thought that they might have a index of sorts, showing whom you've added as a contact and whom you've texted. Does that exist?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Retrieving old contacts and text messages from SIM card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Retrieving old contacts and text messages from SIM card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: old contacts
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 6:08 PM PDT

Your phone service provider (say, AT&T or Sprint) doesn't know the contacts you put in your phone. Just like they don't know what music and pictures you put on it. They only know what you send and receive, and there are limits to what they keep of that (for privacy reasons).

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
not too familiar with SIM cards
by jonah jones / September 25, 2012 6:14 PM PDT

but as it's basically a "storage unit", maybe connect the phone
to your PC/laptop and try to browse to the file/s you need?

jonah

Collapse -
a google link that may help
by jonah jones / September 25, 2012 6:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Which to choose from
by doomspider / September 27, 2012 1:46 PM PDT

Which one would you recommend there?

Collapse -
Answer
The quick method....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 10:12 PM PDT

to remove information on an old SIM that you will not be using any longer is to cut it up and throw it away. You can delete contacts/data stored in your phone by deleting it using the phone setup menu.

Collapse -
Answer
sim card recovery
by CK2014 / January 20, 2014 11:52 PM PST

hi doomspider or whoever is reading this new, i'm sorry to say, but NO, the cell phone providers don't store your data.

i know it's an old topic, and i don't think it matters to 99,99% of people...but here we go:

The only way to get your lost messages from SIM card, is a software like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009IJMBS8

i didn't need my contacts (don't know if it even recovers contacts), but i did get my messages back! so yeah..you can give it a try, if that helps.

goodluck!

Collapse -
Yes, they do, but...
by Pepe7 / January 21, 2014 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: sim card recovery
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.