How To forum

Question

Retrieving e-mail address

by WILKAN / January 17, 2013 11:15 AM PST

Here is my situation:
A message is sent, using Blackberry, to an e-mail address. This message is forwarded, using Blackberry, to my e-mail address for me to respond to, but it no longer contains the original sender's address.
Can I retrieve the original sender's address, and if so, how do I do that?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Retrieving e-mail address
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Retrieving e-mail address
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What email are you using?
by wpgwpg / January 17, 2013 11:53 AM PST

Most Windows based email has a way to show the route including server names the messages took getting to you, but since you didn't say what you're using, I can't be specific.

Good luck.

Collapse -
email program
by WILKAN / January 17, 2013 11:13 PM PST

I am using Outlook Express

Collapse -
Email
by pgc3 / January 17, 2013 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: email program

And you don't use the same email address/server on a PC or L/T, just the Blackberry? If PC/L/T it would be a very easy thing to check.

Collapse -
by WILKAN / January 18, 2013 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Email

I think the Blackberry is the problem. When I get messages forwarded from a PC I have no problem getting the address of the original sender, it's right there in the message.

Collapse -
Address
by pgc3 / January 18, 2013 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: E-Mail

Geez, that seems strange but there must be a way to do that, it sounds as if the address is blocked..have to think on this one some more, it does sound strange.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just my addition to this. Viewing more detail in OE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 3:51 AM PST
Collapse -
address
by WILKAN / January 18, 2013 6:31 AM PST

Tried that and it gives me the message and who sent it to me, but I already have that. Here is the problem again, explained differently:
1st party send an enquiry to 2nd party.
2nd party forwards it to me, so that I can send a reply to 1st party, but forwarded message no longer has 1st party's return address, and that is what I'm trying to find.

Collapse -
Re: email address
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: address

That depends on the program that forwards the message. It copies the old message to the new message, but quite often the mailto-link of the original sender is suppressed and just the name is shown.
Some programs add the original message as an attachment; that would be fine in your case. And some, maybe, copy all, including the link.

Nothing you can do about it. It's just not there. All you can do: send your reply to the 2nd party and ask him to forward it to the first party. That might be in his address book, or maybe he still has the original message.

Kees

Collapse -
Yup. May be lost.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: address

Part of the complaints about POP3/SMTP is that it is not mandatory for such information to be in the email.

But as always I have one last idea. Click the REPLY ALL and check what happens. Just in case we missed anything.
Bob

Collapse -
lost
by WILKAN / January 18, 2013 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: Yup. May be lost.

Yes, there was a name, but no way to reply to it. I guess it is just not possible.
Will tell my correspondant to make sure to include email addresses in the future.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my problem.
Consider this Thread finished.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.