Camcorders forum

Question

Retrieving date time stamp from canon sd card

by sky1log2 / September 11, 2012 4:23 AM PDT

After taking video from a Canon fs200 onto an sd card I took the card out and renamed the file on my laptop onto the card. I then placed the card back into the camera and the camera now wont recognize the video. I can see the video is there but retrieving the date and time stamp does not sound possible.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Retrieving date time stamp from canon sd card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Retrieving date time stamp from canon sd card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Does not sound like a supported feature.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 4:27 AM PDT

That is, moving content to the PC is pretty supported. Alter the card's contents and all models will not play this any longer. That is, this is proper and for now, no maker appears to detail how to put video on a card and have it play on the camcorder.

Nothing really busted here. Just not a feature you find on today's common camcorder.

Once the video is on the PC, the date/time is usually embedded in the video data. Some players show it, some don't.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Again, I agree with Bob.
by boya84 / September 11, 2012 7:26 AM PDT

All is behaving as designed.

When a flash memory card goes into a camcorder (or still image capture device like a point and shoot or dSLR), the manual says step 1 is to format the card in the camcorder. The camcorder's embedded "operating system" sets up the folder directories for stills, moving images, etc... and a proprietary database index that keeps track of the media file numbering system (its version of the file names), where the files are located on the flash memory media and a bunch of other information that only the camcorder can use within its "operating system". When you renamed the file, the proprietary index system lost track of it. If you rename the video file back to what it was, then the index file might recognize it and all will be back. It is possible that the proprietary file system will not recognize the file even if you return to the original name because of the various date/time stamps you mentioned that also are modified by the computer's operating system.

The camcorder is not a "personal media player" - it is designed to capture and store - and playback what it captured and stored. Changing the name of the file as you did means you changed what the camcorder captured and stored.

Link to the manual
http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300001917/01/fs20-21-22-200-nim-en.pdf

Initialize the memory card in the camcorder: Page 31 and 32.

Some of the data tracked by the index file: Page 40 (Select scenes by recording date), Page 41 (Selecting the playback starting point from the movie timeline), 42 ("Index screen")... there are other references to datacode and accessing files...

Page 77: "IMPORTANT: Do not access, change or delete folders and files in the camcorder directly from the computer as this may result in permanent data loss."

Collapse -
oops... forgot...
by boya84 / September 11, 2012 7:29 AM PDT

The datacode is embedded in the video like "meta data" on a still image. Assuming the date stamp is correct, "some media players can show it, some can't" is accurate. The player should have and option to allow that datacode to be visible (default is not visible).

Collapse -
Thanks for the links and manual excerpts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 8:51 AM PDT
In reply to: oops... forgot...

At least the video was not "lost". It's one of the easier lessons about working with their camcorder.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
date time stamp via dropbox photo importer
by milstone--2008 / April 14, 2013 12:21 AM PDT

Dropbox's Photo Importer function might do this.The app will launch when you connect a camera to your computer and will download images all images on the sd card to the dropbox "Camera Uploads" directory on your computer with file names being the date and time stamp of each image file in the following format: yyy-mm-dd hh.mm.ss. I have only used it with a Canon point-and-shoot but it does this for the video (.avi) as well as jpg files on the camera's sd card so I hope it will do the same for video from a "real" video camera.

You must install Dropbox (of course) and my experience is Dropbox must also be running for this to work. That is, the importer will not launch "in the background" if Dropbox itself is not running. You can move these files later and delete from your Dropbox if you don't want them there.

I didn't find an easier way to grab this info from my input device and bundled software, which supports only date but not time info in exported file names. I'm sure it can also be done with dedicated software that reads metadata of theimage and video files.

Mac OS 10.5.8, Dropbox 1.6.18.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.