PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Retrieving data from dead laptop harddrive

by bucksguy14 / February 2, 2006 11:15 PM PST

I have a Travelstar harddrive (6.49GB - model DBCA-206480) that I'd like to retrieve some data from and put it on my new laptop. Is there a USB connector that I can use to do this? It doesn't have to be an external enclosure although that would be nice!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Retrieving data from dead laptop harddrive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Retrieving data from dead laptop harddrive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the drive dead or the old laptop?
by _Troglodyte_ / February 3, 2006 1:50 AM PST

If the drive is dead, there is not much that you can do for it outside of trying some of the professional services in your area or sending it in to IBM. If it's your old laptop that's dead, you may have a spot in your new laptop for a second drive (some do some don't) and you can just install your drive in the new laptop (or have a shop do it as laptop modifications aren't for the faint of heart). Then retrieve the info you want and either remove the old drive, or format it and use it as extra storage (but 6.5G is pretty small IMO.)

I'd seen some enclosures for IDE drives with IEEE 1334 connectors and one that used USB (txfer rate was very slow), but they were pricey, and they used normal desktop IDE connectors not laptop IDE connectors.

Collapse -
The laptop's dead
by bucksguy14 / February 3, 2006 3:22 AM PST

It's the laptop that died. I don't want to use the harddrive, I'd just like to get some of the data off before I put it under the hammer! I'm looking for some inexpensive way to retrieve the data.

Collapse -
Laptop Hard Drive Enclosure
by k7john / February 17, 2006 6:50 AM PST
In reply to: The laptop's dead

Sabrent (item SBT-EKU25 around $10) available thru Tigerdirect.com and some other manufacturers make 2.5" hard drive enclosures for Laptop harddrives. Take the drive out of the dead laptop, put it in enclosure and connect to your new computer with included USB cable. You will be able to drag and drop the data you want onto your new computer as long as the old hard drive still spins. Then after you have recovered your data you can reformat the old drive in the enclosure and you will then have a 20gb or more USB drive for back up storage.

Collapse -
2nd Laptop
by LsuEduMsn / February 3, 2006 6:09 PM PST

Use your brother in law's laptop with your old HD then connect a USB data transfer cable and away you go. If you don't like your brother in law just steal his laptop

Collapse -
RE: 2nd Laptop
by bucksguy14 / February 4, 2006 10:55 AM PST
In reply to: 2nd Laptop

What the hell are you talking about???????

Collapse -
USB data transfer cable
by LsuEduMsn / February 15, 2006 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: RE: 2nd Laptop

USB data transfer cable

Collapse -
I've done this
by Willy / February 5, 2006 1:20 AM PST

Here's what I've done provided the new laptop has USB port. I have a 2.5 adapter for *desktop* use whicj allows installing the laptop HD(w/adapter) to the desktop system. The laptop Hd is seen as another HD, thus retrieve data. You swap data in order to burn to CD or flash drive. If flash drive using data retrieved place into laptop USB and retrieve, repeat if necessary. If CD, use that method provided the new laptop has CD drive as well to retrieve data. I use the 2.5HD adapter method more often and can reformat 2.5HD to install back to problem laptops if HD poblem.

As for ext. USB enclosure, yes you can do that as well. Once brought, get then reformat x-days provided happy with results. You now have an ext. HD for later usage.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
RE: I've done this
by bucksguy14 / February 5, 2006 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: I've done this

Willy,

Understand - what is the "adapter" that you're using? That's what I've been trying to find out - what do I use to get the data off the HD from the dead laptop!

Collapse -
Here's some links
by Willy / February 5, 2006 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: RE: I've done this
Collapse -
IDE to USB
by czar99 / February 6, 2006 1:22 PM PST
In reply to: Here's some links
Collapse -
Getting Info off a dead hard-drive
by funnyman715 / February 8, 2006 12:32 PM PST
In reply to: IDE to USB

I don't know quite how "dead" your laptop is, but if you're at all comfortable with Linux, you can use a slax or Knoppix CD to access info on the drive. Then copy to an external. just if you're lookin for other options.

-jon

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nifty product
by Willy / February 8, 2006 10:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Power Supply Problems
by blues-harp / February 16, 2006 7:29 PM PST

Four out of six reviewers of this adapter wrote in and stated that the power supply fried itself the moment it was first plugged in, destroying (in one case) a very expensive hard disk. You do get what you pay for in many cases. Can you recommend a higher-quality adapter?

Collapse -
Power options
by czar99 / February 16, 2006 9:47 PM PST
In reply to: Power Supply Problems

I do not have this brand, I have had mine for a year or two and never had a problem. But one thing you can do is use an extra power conector in your case from your known good power supply. Also if it is a laptop hard drive you could connect the converter from laptop IDE to regular IDE and then plug it in uyour machine like a regular hard drive and then boot up, also using a power cord inside your machine. There are other brands I just did a quick google search and that was the first one I found.

Collapse -
Great stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2006 10:35 PM PST

I've used such things and have come to call these items a "commodity." As to the naysayers that call cheap solutions bad and tell of stories of fried drives what can we do? Never happened to any of us at the office and there must be 100 of these boxes we bought from newegg.com or geeks.com and slipped a drive into.

Bob

Collapse -
Hard Drive enclosure
by k7john / February 17, 2006 6:09 AM PST

Sabrent also makes an aluminum hard drive enclosure (SBT-EKU25) for 2.5" laptop hard drives and it connects to your computer using USB 2.0. It is plug and play, and hot swappable. I used one to get the data off my niece's hard drive from her Gateway laptop that she spilled a Big gulp on that would no longer boot-up. Worked like a dream and only cost $10. Plus she now has a 20gb USB drive for $10.

Collapse -
Here is a an enclosure
by ranron / February 15, 2006 10:57 AM PST

Get this enclosure:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146035

I have 3 of them and they all work great.

They are very simple to use. Just connect the drive to one end of the connector, put it in the case, connect using USB 2.0 without any power outlets. All bus powered.

It also doesn't require drivers if you are running Windows XP on the computer your are recovering TO.

Collapse -
Recover data from a laptop drive.
by JosePablo58 / February 16, 2006 6:47 PM PST

Hi, The easyest way I have used several times is to get yourself an adaptor connector so that you can connect it directly to any free IDE cable/connector in your normal desktop machine.
These adaptors connect on one side to the 2.5"HD from your laptop and on the other side directly to an empty IDE cable connector.
Once installed in your PC you will see it as another HD in "My Computer".
If not, rightclick on "My Computer" and than click on "Manage". Click on "Disk Management" and than on the new drive you will see. Often you have to change the drive letter, but after that you will just have it available in "My Computer" and you can copy all the files you want to keep. You can even "clone" this disk to another one with programs like Acronis True Image and the like or just keep and use it as it is.
These adapter connectors are quite cheap and you will find them in the better computer shops or perhaps at Radio Shack.
Cheers,
Joseph.

Collapse -
If on the other hand the hdd won't power up
by scorpious / February 17, 2006 2:49 AM PST

On occasions a dead hdd can be revived by putting it in a plastic bag and shoved in the freezer for a short period of time,then drag everything you want from it to the new hdd before the components get up to temperature and go fizz again ,tho that's if theres a circuitry prob and it's 50/50 whether it will work, also if the hdd can't be started the only other way to retrieve all the data is to open the case up and transfer the discs to a known good casing

Collapse -
If on the other hand the hdd won't power up
by scorpious / February 17, 2006 2:49 AM PST

On occasions a dead hdd can be revived by putting it in a plastic bag and shoved in the freezer for a short period of time,then drag everything you want from it to the new hdd before the components get up to temperature and go fizz again ,tho that's if theres a circuitry prob and it's 50/50 whether it will work, also if the hdd can't be started the only other way to retrieve all the data is to open the case up and transfer the discs to a known good casing

Collapse -
If on the other hand the hdd won't power up.....
by jknueppel / February 17, 2006 2:31 PM PST

How Hard is it to fix a hard drive? I have 1 that just whizzes when the computer tries to bootup.

Collapse -
Hard Drive Adapter
by pctech3 / February 20, 2006 1:20 AM PST

If you live near a Fry's Electronics, they have everything that you need to do this. Just ask one of their people.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.