Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Restricting network shared folders to certain users WinXP

by dhinge / January 30, 2011 4:38 AM PST

I am trying to share a folder in Windows XP on the network but only have certain users be able to access it, and I haven't been able to find how to do this. I can restrict the entire computer to users, but once they log in, they can still view and access the folder. How do I set which network users have access to which folders in Windows XP?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restricting network shared folders to certain users WinXP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restricting network shared folders to certain users WinXP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What version of XP?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 30, 2011 4:40 AM PST

Home, Professional or Media Center Edition?

Collapse -
by dhinge / January 30, 2011 2:25 PM PST
In reply to: What version of XP?

Professional on all machines. I have two desktops (one is always on), two laptops, and I want to restrict certain shared folders on the desktop machine that's always on from being accessible from people I allow to use my wireless router.

Collapse -
That's supported.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2011 4:41 AM PST

This is simple NTFS permissions.

Each user has an account and for each folder you add or remove that user from the list of folk in PERMISSIONS. You can restrict each user to read, read and write and more.

This feature has been there for over a decade and now there are plenty of web pages about it.

However if you enabled the guest account you'll have to disable that as well as turn off simple file sharing so you can see the permissions tab.

Collapse -
PS. More at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2011 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: That's supported.
Collapse -
by dhinge / January 30, 2011 2:32 PM PST
In reply to: PS. More at link.

That link has some screen shots and instructions but it doesn't tell me how to access the section it's talking about. I've tried in Control Panel > User Accounts/Security Settings and there's nothing like that in there.

Collapse -
tried that
by dhinge / January 30, 2011 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: That's supported.

I've disabled Simple File Sharing but the only user permissions I get are for "Everyone" (Guest account is turned off). I have my own sign-in so I don't know why it's not showing up on the list. I want the folder only accessible by someone using my sign-in and password. I'm not seeing any options to access user permissions beyond that.

Collapse -
finally figured it out by myself
by dhinge / January 30, 2011 2:48 PM PST

Ok, I had to figure this out for myself as your link site wasn't assuming I was working from the default configuration of Windows XP Professional so I had to do a few things first. I wish Windows was as easy as Linux (hardy-har).

I had to first open the shared folder, go into Tools > Folder Options, click the View tab, scroll down the Advanced Settings window and uncheck "Use simple file sharing (recommended)", then I had to right-click the shared folder and click Properties, then the Security tab, and it was all there. Geesh, I should be help-desk support. Thank you Windows for obscuring some simple functionality behind wizards and unintuitive menus.

Collapse -
You did fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 3:02 AM PST

And before you were expected to have taken the usual 6 month IT or such classes. You compressed "permissions" into just a few days so you did great.

It is not "simple functionality". I can only guess you didn't grow up on DOS, Novell and more.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.