Phones forum

General discussion

Restoring phone to factory setting

by Jjay123 / August 29, 2009 4:28 PM PDT

Hi, my friend gave me a voyager, and I was wondering if I could just go to the settings and restore it to factory settings?
It says the phone will need to be restored if I do, but does that mean that his account will be off it too? Or will he have to go in and cancel it himself, and then I create my own.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restoring phone to factory setting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restoring phone to factory setting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PHONE RESET
by GEO2003 / September 3, 2009 5:55 AM PDT

Dear J,

Some phones have to types of resets.

-One is a soft reset - This one just clear application in memory and possibly roaming profiles so that you experience less dropped calls. In addition if you have a way to download updates from your provider to update roaming capabiites, you need to soft reset your cell phone aftewards.

As an example, I have a Treo 700w with VerizonWireless, if I dial *228 i go to the programming, Although I don't rome much because vZW has great coverage, I do it once a Month because there could also be updating the internal ROM (memory that holds the cell phone settings) to better the possibility of dropped calls.

-The second is a hard reset - You can find insturctions in your manual, ask your carrier how to do it, or search your internet.

IF YOU CHOOSE TO TO A HARD RESET - EVERYTHING, INCLUDING PROFILES, SHORTCUTS, ANY KIND OF CUSTOMIZATION -- "" WILL BE ERASED COMPLETELY "" and the phone will return to its origals state when you purchase it.

If you have applications that YOU have installed - they will be erased as well.

Before you do a HARD RESET - It is a good idea to check if you can link your cellphone to your laptop/computer and copy all your CONTACTS, CALENDAR, APPOINTMENTS, REMINDERS to your computer. Only then can you restore them back to your phone.

I don't know your phone, so I really can't help you with steps on how to back up your cellphone to your pc.
My best suggestion is contact your carrier for help on this, and do some serious reading in the internet for your phone, including the cellphone manufacturer which usually have Tutorials on how to do things.

I apologize, you may very well be very familiar with your cellphone capabilities, so the above may be re-dundant, but I am just trying to hel.

Geo

Collapse -
reset for LG Voyager
by birdmantd Forum moderator / September 3, 2009 6:35 AM PDT

Go to the main menu, chose the settings & tools icon, choose the security option, phone will ask for your security key (last 4 digits of the cell phone #), choose restore phone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.