Desktops forum

Question

restoring from back up

by pete49 / November 16, 2012 8:47 PM PST

my hard drive had sectors go bad and i need to replace it. Some information is no longer accessable.my question is, can I use my system backup to restore to a new drive and, if so, how do I do it?.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: restoring from back up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: restoring from back up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You do have a backup?
by Willy / November 16, 2012 9:13 PM PST
In reply to: restoring from back up

The mere fact you're asking makes this whole process open to your abilities. I hope the backup is already done and on some media other than the bad HD. Also, whatever method you did the backup "provides the means to restore" the backup. That's the other half of backup, its part of the whole process, otherwise its useless. Your details are slim to almost none, so what have you done?

Also, a backup is done under one of two methods, either return to day 1, the day you brought it OR return to the day you did the backup of the PC as it was on that day. Which did you do?

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
i do have a backup
by pete49 / November 17, 2012 5:35 AM PST
In reply to: You do have a backup?

I backed up my system to an external drive using windows backup. I need to replace the drive that has gone bad.. What I want to know is can I restore to a new drive from an external backup and if so, how do I restore my system from the external backup to the new drive. I am running Windows Vista.
Your asking about what I did, return to day one or backup to what it was on a particular day seems to refer to a system restore to a previous day not restore the system from an external backup to a new HD.

My apologies if I misunderstood.

Collapse -
OS restore required
by Willy / November 18, 2012 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: i do have a backup

Install new drive in system after removing old bad drive. You will still need to install the OS, which would be a restore/recovery. Some users confuse backup and restore(understandably), but the process needs the OS back in place for a smooth reloading of the old data. It will re-populate whatever folders, etc. as it was. Because you used the OS backup feature, you need the other half which is part of the OS, restoring pgm. I made this distinction because there are "other backups" provided by other than the OS. You would then follow that procedure which in most cases has it's own disc to load prior to asking for the "data backup" or its own backup discs. A popular one being Acronis provided with sold PCs.

On top of all this, any backup may differ slightly from laptop or desktop models. However, since we're dealing with Vista and its backup process, it has the restore but only after reloading the OS> Then, you will need the restore discs to get at least the OS loaded. Once all done, click on the "restore backup" procedure and then it will ask for the backup source, ext. media in your case.

If it isn't hopeless, if you have OEM type PC, like HP or Dell, etc., they may provide backup s/w other than OS provided by the support website. After giving you SN# or service tag, etc. you can then provide to the required area. That similar s/w may also be provided by the drive maker, like WD or Seagate, again if the drive is working to a point.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
OS Restore
by pete49 / November 18, 2012 1:19 AM PST
In reply to: OS restore required

Thanks Willy. I have the disc to install the OS. I actually built the computer myself. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.