Spyware, Viruses, & Security

General discussion

Restoring a Cryptainer drive if hard disk or computer fails?

by doowopper / December 18, 2006 5:42 AM PST

I am a newbie regarding the use of Cryptainer. I am using Cryptainer ME in a Windows XP Professional computer.
1) Could please tell me the necessary steps to restore my Cryptainer drive, if my hard drive or my computer fails and one or the other has to be replaced, so I can gain access to my encrypted files currently located in a Crytpainer file in C:\Windows\system32. I have a backup of that Cryptainer file (drive) on an external hard drive. I checked the help file of Cryptainer, but I couldn't find information about restoring the Cryptainer drive if my hard drive or computer fails. Perhaps it is there and I missed it.
2) Does the backup of my encrypted Cryptainer file (drive), also contain its password, so it could be opened on another computer that also is running Cryptainer by using the password?
Thanks.
Richard

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restoring a Cryptainer drive if hard disk or computer fails?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restoring a Cryptainer drive if hard disk or computer fails?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try the horse of course.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2006 6:44 AM PST
Collapse -
As Bob says, your best info comes from the source BUT...
by Edward ODaniel / December 19, 2006 1:57 AM PST

I suspect you will have better luck at this link:
http://www.cypherix.com/cryptainerle/online_help/index.html

Scroll down the menu on the left until you come to "List of Operations". Under that subtitle you will find "Backing Up Cryptainer Vaults". That is where you will find your answer so be sure to read it completely, including You need to back up file named "my data" on the desktop.

Collapse -
As Bob says, your best info comes from the source BUT...
by Edward ODaniel / December 19, 2006 4:16 AM PST

I suspect you will have better luck at this link:
http://www.cypherix.com/cryptainerle/online_help/index.html

Scroll down the menu on the left until you come to "List of Operations". Under that subtitle you will find "Backing Up Cryptainer Vaults". That is where you will find your answer so be sure to read it completely, including You need to back up file named "my data" on the desktop.

Collapse -
Thanks but still confused about restoring the primary volume
by doowopper / December 19, 2006 6:40 AM PST

Thanks so much for the link to backing up Cryptainer vaults - it was helpful for a newbie like me. However, that reference used as an example, the backing up and restoring of an additional volume and not the backing up and restoring of the primary volume. I am still not completely sure how those procedures apply to the primary volume. If you could offer me some additional help regarding the primary volume, I would appreciate it.
Let's say I have a backup of my primary volume in an external hard drive and my then my main computer dies. I would like to restore the primary volume from my old computer and make it the primary volume in my new computer. So, in my new computer, I first install Cryptainer ME. At that point, I do not know if Cryptainer knows where to look for my primary volume once I put the backup of my primary volume in my new computer.
1) In my new computer, do I have to put the backup of my primary volume in the same location (folder) that it was in, in my old computer that died?
2) If I put my primary volume in the same location in the new computer as it was in the old computer, will the new install of Cryptainer in my new computer recognize that file as my primary volume?
3) Is the password for that primary volume stored within the backup file for that primary volume, so I can use the same password for that primary volume in my new computer?
4) Do I use the procedure in the help file you recommended to access the primary volume in my new computer even though that procedure is about restoring additional volumes (not a primary volume) by using the "Additional volume" dialogue under the "Tools" menu? If I use that procedure to load my old primary volume in my new computer, then the primary volume from my old computer becomes an additional volume in my new computer. That is not what I would like. I would like the primary volume in my old computer to be the primary volume in my new computer.
I should also mention that I have not been successful in getting a response from Cryptainer support after trying several times. That is why I am asking about this stuff here.
Thanks again.
Richard

Collapse -
cryptainer volum restoration
by dendrobob / August 30, 2012 2:56 PM PDT

Did you ever solve the problem of locating your cryptainer volume? My laptop is defunct but I have the drive in a caddy and I need to find the cryptainer volme on the original hardrive.
thanks

Collapse -
Some Suggestions..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / August 31, 2012 1:06 AM PDT

Hi dendrobob..

My guess is you found this thread via a Google search. If you hadn't noticed it's well over 5 years old. I'm tending to doubt you'll get a response from the original poster, at this point in time.

Have you tried what's already been suggested? In addition to the link Edward provided, this one might also be of help. http://www.cypherix.com/faqs/faqs_cryptainer.htm

It would be in your best interest to start a thread of your own. Include as many specifics and details as possible.

I would further suggest posting at one of our more popular forums, where it will get the most exposure. Perhaps, the Computer Help forum? Or choose another forum which might be more appropriate from this list of CNET forums.

Best of luck..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.