Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Restore previous admin

by vladio007 / December 8, 2012 10:43 AM PST

I tried to make a change to windows and it said I didn't have admin privs so I created a new admin account. When I rebooted I lost all my desktop and now have a new one. I can see my old admin account under c:/documents and settings. How can I restore this?

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restore previous admin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restore previous admin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Each user ID has its own desktop & libraries
by wpgwpg / December 8, 2012 10:48 AM PST
In reply to: Restore previous admin

If you sign on with admin authority, you can copy from one user's libraries to another. Just click Start -> My Computer, then look at the Users folder on the C: drive. Under that you'll see the Documents and Settings folder which has entries for each user. You can just copy and paste from the old ID to your current one, and you'll have what you need.

Good luck.

Collapse -
can I re reference the old
by vladio007 / December 8, 2012 10:52 AM PST

Apparently I was using the "built-in" admin account that was installed by default during set up. Can I just re reference this account to boot as again?

Collapse -
With proper authority you can reference anything
by wpgwpg / December 8, 2012 11:00 AM PST

I don't know why you couldn't do that if you have admin authority. You've already said you can see it under C:\Documents and Settings. Copy & paste is very easy to do, and much safer than drag and drop.

Collapse -
copied, outlook emails are gone.
by vladio007 / December 8, 2012 12:26 PM PST

I copied everything from the old admin account to the new and all my emails are gone. I tried to open the pst files and none of my new emails are there.

Collapse -
Re: administrator
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 7:58 PM PST

You can log into the old, default, administrator account if you boot into Safe Mode.

The story about the missing emails isn't clear. Are "all" gone, or only your "new" ones. How can new ones be gone? Is the size of the copied pst-file still correct (depends on the amount of mails stored, of course, but usually it's 50 to 500 MB).

Collapse -
not sure
by vladio007 / December 9, 2012 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: Re: administrator

I'm not sure what the pst file size was prior to the change. I found the files... where I keep them, and open them in Outlook. None of the newer emails are there. I'm going to do a pst file search to make sure the pst file I was using isn't someplace else.

Thanks for the input!

Collapse -
Okay, I did boot to safe mode
by vladio007 / December 9, 2012 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: not sure

Was able to log onto the old admin account and open my emails. I found the pst file in another place which my search did not show. Can I delete the new admin account and restore the old? I'm in user accounts and cannot delete or change the new admin account.

If I can open the old pst it's not a prob. This is my work machine and I really need to have the old emails for I wouldn't care.

Windows has a dozen bubbles pop up for everything I do. It's a shame one didn't pop up and let me know that by creating a new admin account the old would be disabled.

Collapse -
Re: administrator account
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 9, 2012 6:12 AM PST

It's a very much recommended 'best practice' to have at least two accounts with administrator capabilities, so that if one gets corrupted (and that happens!) you still can use the other to fix it.

And it's a not too well known fact that making any of your own user accounts hides the 'secret' administrator account in Windows XP, except in Safe Mode.
It's mentioned, for example, in
As most users don't know that , and the account has no password by default (and if they don't know it, they won't change it either), it's a quite popular way to break in into a XP computer. My guess is that it works in 95% of the PC's. Microsoft made it safer in later versions of Windows.

So I'd switch to using the new account, and leave this one for emergencies. To be safer, give it a password and write it down somewhere so you can retrieve it if you need it 2 years from now. Surely the best practice.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.